• Snowy leaves Circhester and heads to Spikemuth. Watch here as his Rotom Bike learns to swim...somehow.
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It's probably just two random people with no relation to Ash or Gary, possibly one of the few opening shots for the series.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I'm not expecting a lot of continuity and references to the old series.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
As a series where Ash is going to revisit the regions he's already been to before, callbacks are almost guaranteed to happen IMO.
They don't have to, especially considering it would confuse younger fans and require them to bingewatch past episodes in order to understand what's going on. I don't see them ever doing that.

Watching over Ori and Ku
Reaction score
They don't have to, especially considering it would confuse younger fans and require them to bingewatch past episodes in order to understand what's going on. I don't see them ever doing that.
There's no point revisiting older regions if past characters and places won't be in the show at all.

If they were going down the route you mentioned then they were better off rebooting instead of setting it in the same continuity, or just have Galar as the only setting.

Besides iirc, they said this anime is for "fans of all the generations/series”.

Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
Would be nice to visit the Tower of Terror again, see how the comic Gastly and Gengar are doing

Reaction score
That's what flashbacks, exposition and the recap we're getting on Sunday are for.

Think about it. If they were really against bringing back older characters (and the two Brock/Misty returns in SM mean they probably aren't), they would never have decided to make this series. They wouldn't intentionally put themselves into a situation where they have to constantly walk on eggshells to avoid mentioning previous characters. It would be constant work for them to keep thinking of ways to justify characters who should be there not being there. They had a chance to make this a reboot but they chose not to.

Maybe we're not going to see old companions become part of the main cast again, but when it makes sense for them to appear they will. Not accounting for issues with VAs though. We'll probably see Dawn show up but not May.

Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
Pokémon Tower. Tower of Terror was the episode title.
I know, I just referred to it as the Tower of Terror affectionately

There's so much potential for old characters and Pokemon to appear that I fear they'll ruin it

Reaction score
Yeah, I am also concerned that it will be a repeat of Battle Frontier since that took place in Kanto but they never really did anything with it.

For example, their headquarters are located in Vermilion City. I can understand why they chose that place since it is a port city AKA a center of transportation. However, if we go this entire series without ever seeing or even hearing about Lt Surge, the leader of the local gym where Ash got his first badge that he legitimately won in a Pokemon battle, then that is a huge missed opportunity.

On another note, SM had Team Rocket point out how weird it was seeing Ash go to school. I would love for them to do the same for this series.

Jessie: That Twerp keeps going around the world! Can't he stay in one region?
James: On the bright side, we can take advantage of our frequent flier miles! :D
Jessie: :cautious:

Last edited:
My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
I'm not expecting a lot of continuity and references to the old series.
Yeah, we get it. You post this like once a day. Do you have a specific reason why, by any chance? Kind of a bold statement to make repeatedly when, again, we don't really know which direction the series is going in and have no concrete evidence against or in support of the continuity argument one way or the other.

I agree that if there really is a lack of continuity, then that would be a giant waste of opportunity. They really should put more effort into attracting old and new fans alike. I do like that they have said that's their goal in reference to the new series, but we don't actually know what that means just yet.

Lovely
Reaction score
Does it matter if this new series is a reboot or something continuing after Sun and Moon, though? Either way they could still sprinkle cameos along the way for the fans. Whether Ash recognizes them or not, the anime could still have him interact with them as a nod to the previous series. Honestly, the anime has come a long way and if they decided to bring in previous characters every once in a while for nostalgia, we're bound to have at least an episode's worth of flashbacks. Remember when they brought back Charizard for Episode N? Nearly an entire episode was dedicated to flashback. That wasn't bad, but imagine that for every single previous major companion. Or rival. Or champion.

Besides, we've already seen characters getting soft-reboots despite the anime continuity. In XY&Z, Steven obviously got soft-rebooted from his AG-self with nobody recognizing him from that one single episode in the past. But hey, a soft-reboot like that? I'm not complaining :D

Jez

Fan of Team Rocket since 1998/99
Reaction score
I'm really happy that the cast of this anime is so small, it already allows the development of the backstories of Ash and Pikachu so I hope that it will also be the case for Jessie, James and Meowth. These characters have been present for more than 20 years but in the end we know only some very little things about them and to dig their backstories we must put in order some small pieces of a puzzle scattered here and there in random episodes of different arcs or Special CD drama that very few people know outside Japan and among the young spectators.

I hope also some cameo or mention of the Pokemon left in the Team Rocket headquarters who have never had a proper closure since 2011 despite their very strong bond with their trainers too...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I am also concerned that it will be a repeat of Battle Frontier since that took place in Kanto but they never really did anything with it.
Heck, they may as well have made the BF its own place considering how little they used Kanto elements...

In XY&Z, Steven obviously got soft-rebooted from his AG-self with nobody recognizing him from that one single episode in the past. But hey, a soft-reboot like that? I'm not complaining :D
Considering him and Ash didn't spend any amount of time together and that that he barely did anything, it's cool. Heck, they made him into a COTD. Not even a glorified one like other game characters that were only in 1 episode, like his dad or Drake. Just a regular, everyday COTD. They did more with Mr. Briney than him o_O

Though we've seen time and time again that you NEVER know when they'll bring back an old character. I won't be disappointed if no one shows up, but I'll be happy if they do :)

Do you even zap?
Reaction score
Considering him and Ash didn't spend any amount of time together and that that he barely did anything, it's cool. Heck, they made him into a COTD. Not even a glorified one like other game characters that were only in 1 episode, like his dad or Drake. Just a regular, everyday COTD. They did more with Mr. Briney than him o_O
I think they intended to reintroduce him as a Champion later in Hoenn, but then Emerald rolled around and Wallace became the current Hoenn Champion.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I think they intended to reintroduce him as a Champion later in Hoenn, but then Emerald rolled around and Wallace became the current Hoenn Champion.
Even then, Wallace didn't appear until DP, although Emerald did cause them to make Juan the 8th Gym Leader in the anime instead.

Do you even zap?
Reaction score
Even then, Wallace didn't appear until DP, although Emerald did cause them to make Juan the 8th Gym Leader in the anime instead.
I've heard that there was a promotional poster in the early AG that featured Wallace, meaning that Ash was originally planned to battle him for the Rain Badge, before Emerald and Juan were introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.