• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will only shine if you are yourself!
Reaction score
You know for the new series, they didn't show us Gou actually catching anything or Ash fighting anybody except Gou. They are still secretive about much stuff.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
You know for the new series, they didn't show us Gou actually catching anything or Ash fighting anybody except Gou. They are still secretive about much stuff.
They've been secretive about a lot of things this gen.

Lovely
Reaction score
I think they intended to reintroduce him as a Champion later in Hoenn, but then Emerald rolled around and Wallace became the current Hoenn Champion.
Even then, Wallace didn't appear until DP, although Emerald did cause them to make Juan the 8th Gym Leader in the anime instead.
I've heard that there was a promotional poster in the early AG that featured Wallace, meaning that Ash was originally planned to battle him for the Rain Badge, before Emerald and Juan were introduced.
LANCE of all people appeared for the anime weather crisis, so some part of AG was just misrepresented
Maybe that was tied in with the release of FireRed and LeafGreen?
All this kinda proves is that continuity issues are heavily influenced by the games, and that the soft-reboot for Steven helped make him a better character. It isn't just because of ORAS, but giving a new chance to an older character with a different take on his battle style and/or characterization.

Administrator
Reaction score
All this kinda proves is that continuity issues are heavily influenced by the games, and that the soft-reboot for Steven helped make him a better character. It isn't just because of ORAS, but giving a new chance to an older character with a different take on his battle style and/or characterization.
Since the anime is meant to promote the games, that can influence the continuity. It might not have been a soft reboot exactly so much as that they just didn't want to make reference to that AG episode. It wouldn't have really fit with what they wanted Steven to do in XY and it wouldn't have been much of a callback considering fans disliked that he was treated as a generic character of the day instead of the Champion.

Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Ash and Gou will get a full team early in the series, I didn't like the fact Ash never got a full team until the league

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Ash and Gou will get a full team early in the series, I didn't like the fact Ash never got a full team until the league
I don't know if I'd want Ash to get a fully team too early. It's usually better when he slowly builds his team since that gives them more potential screentime and development. I don't want them to wait until near the end of the series until he gets a full team though.

Reaction score
They've been secretive about a lot of things this gen.
Either they've got some (hopefully good) cards they ain't showing...or even they realize this generation isn't going to be worth talking about...

Reaction score
Unless Galar is their very first stop, Ash will probably keep 5 reserves on him from the start. He only dumps all of his Pokemon when he goes to a new region. The excuse he's always used is he wants to compete in a league using only the Pokemon he caught in the respective region. Unless Galar is their first stop and Ash is competing in the Galar league, there is no logical reason not to bring his older Pokemon. For comparison, he used reserves in the Battle Frontier arc because that was a region he's already traveled through.

With the way the series is marketing Gou as the one who catches Pokemon and Ash as the one who battles, I get the feeling most of the "getting" will be done by Gou while Ash sticks mostly with his oldies. Yes that's wishful thinking but that's also the way it's looking.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Unless Galar is their very first stop, Ash will probably keep 5 reserves on him from the start. He only dumps all of his Pokemon when he goes to a new region. The excuse he's always used is he wants to compete in a league using only the Pokemon he caught in the respective region. Unless Galar is their first stop and Ash is competing in the Galar league, there is no logical reason not to bring his older Pokemon. For comparison, he used reserves in the Battle Frontier arc because that was a region he's already traveled through.

With the way the series is marketing Gou as the one who catches Pokemon and Ash as the one who battles, I get the feeling most of the "getting" will be done by Gou while Ash sticks mostly with his oldies. Yes that's wishful thinking but that's also the way it's looking.
I highly doubt that Ash would not catch a lot of Pokemon.

Reaction score
I highly doubt that Ash would not catch a lot of Pokemon.
Ash hasn't caught "a lot" of Pokemon since BW. It makes little sense for Ash to catch Pokemon in regions he's already been to. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to let Gou do all the catching in those regions because he's never been there.

They've never specifically stated that Ash preferred battling over catching until now. The fact that their making the distinction between battling and catching now most likely reflects what they're planning to do with the characters.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Ash hasn't caught "a lot" of Pokemon since BW. It makes little sense for Ash to catch Pokemon in regions he's already been to. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to let Gou do all the catching in those regions because he's never been there.

They've never specifically stated that Ash preferred battling over catching until now. The fact that their making the distinction between battling and catching now most likely reflects what they're planning to do with the characters.
It would be harder for them to showcase the new Pokemon if Gou is the only one catching anything and Ash is stuck just using his reserves the entire time.

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad that they're going to go to the Galar region so soon. That is a promising sign. Hopefully they'll be able to feature the region frequently enough even with traveling to other regions. I'm also a bit surprised that Go may not capture Scorbunny until the fourth episode, but there might be some buildup to the capture too.

Reaction score
I'm happy that they're heading to Galar so soon.

Hopefully they stay there a while too~ :sneaky:
It seems Ash and Go travel to Galar to investigate the Daimax mystery, which seems to be resolved in Episode 5. So, it's pretty possible they return to Kanto after this.

After all, their base is in Kanto (Sakuragi's lab)

Status
Not open for further replies.