• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Editing Bulbapedia
Reaction score
Apparently, Go's androgynous appearance is intentional. What is that suppose to mean? Can someone translate that Daiki Yamashita interview to get the context?
Despite some sites reporting otherwise, all it is is that the text at the bottom of the interview says his appearance is androgynous, it's not in the actual interview itself.
Androgynous Pretty Boy Gou
Gou leaves an impression with his full-body silhouette and clean face. The red highlights in his hair are also androgynous and stylish. It's exactly the appearance suitable for a protagonist opening the new era.

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
Apparently, Go's androgynous appearance is intentional. What is that suppose to mean? Can someone translate that Daiki Yamashita interview to get the context?
I have seen an article about this. It does appear that this was their intention, to make an androgynous character. The article states that they wanted to make a character that identifies as neither male nor female and that Gou is an androgynous or non-binary character. I would like to get a full translation of the article myself, just because of how the article interchanges androgynous and non-binary. These days, androgyny tends to be more defined as someone who doesn't look like they fit in the gender binary, not someone who identifies outside of the gender binary.

Either way though, it does make me glad that Gou's androgynous design does seem to be intentional. Whether they are nb or not, it is great to see them going this route and actually showing some representation to this crowd of people.

Edit: Article Link
Gou Is Non-Binary In The Upcoming Pokemon Anime | NintendoSoup

Last edited:
Reaction score
Despite some sites reporting otherwise, all it is is that the text at the bottom of the interview says his appearance is androgynous, it's not in the actual interview itself.
Can you also translate that Director Interview Part?

Reaction score
It's like Radical Edward all over again... :unsure:

Administrator
Reaction score
I have seen an article about this. It does appear that this was their intention, to make an androgynous character. The article states that they wanted to make a character that identifies as neither male nor female and that Gou is an androgynous or non-binary character. I would like to get a full translation of the article myself, just because of how the article interchanges androgynous and non-binary. These days, androgyny tends to be more defined as someone who doesn't look like they fit in the gender binary, not someone who identifies outside of the gender binary.

Either way though, it does make me glad that Gou's androgynous design does seem to be intentional. Whether they are nb or not, it is great to see them going this route and actually showing some representation to this crowd of people.
What article are you referring to? As interesting as Go being a non-binary character sounds, I just have a bit of a hard time believing that is the case. It just kind of reminds me of the brief debates over Go's gender before the poster was officially revealed more than anything else.

Reaction score

They call Go a "pretty boy". I'm pretty sure he isn't a non-binary character.

I suspect the article just read Go has an androgynous design and concluded he is non-binary from that. Could you put a link to the article to read what it says.

To be clear, in Japan, "pretty boys" have androgynous physical features. That's pretty common in their beauty concept.

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
They call Go a "pretty boy". I'm pretty sure he isn't a non-binary character.

I suspect the article just read Go has an androgynous design and concluded he is non-binary from that. Could you put a link to the article to read what it says.

To be clear, in Japan, "pretty boys" have androgynous physical features. That's pretty common in their beauty concept.
What article are you referring to? As interesting as Go being a non-binary character sounds, I just have a bit of a hard time believing that is the case. It just kind of reminds me of the brief debates over Go's gender before the poster was officially revealed more than anything else.
Oh sorry, I meant to link the article but forgot.

Based on this, and just looking at the article, I don't think non-binary was every stated, I think the writer of the article might have made a mistake in calling Go non-binary. I would like to see the interview translated, but I didn't find a link to the article anywhere.

I agree that this reminds me of that debate on what Go's gender was. To even have a character who is this androgynous on the main cast of the anime is a big step forward for Pokemon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I meant to link the article but forgot.

Based on this, and just looking at the article, I don't think non-binary was every stated, I think the writer of the article might have made a mistake in calling Go non-binary. I would like to see the interview translated, but I didn't find a link to the article anywhere.

I agree that this reminds me of that debate on what Go's gender was. To even have a character who is this androgynous on the main cast of the anime is a big step forward for Pokemon.
Thank you for the link.

Yeah. The writer of the article doesn't know the obvious differences between an androgynous look and non-binary.

more afraid of you
Reaction score
New researcher seems to be a copy of Molayne, since they seem to be lacking in creativity these days, they may as well just start using old characters, but I'm not holding my breath. I just can't wait until we actually start seeing stuff so we can stop arguing.

I'm most excited about Pikachu's backstory, but I think at this point the next most exciting element to me is the retirement of this thread.

Reaction score
The Prof has other assistants? Please tell me one of them winds up being a Team Rocket spy, that would just be awesome!

The region hopping doesn't seem to have much order to it. I already feel whiplash and the show hasn't even started yet.

I do find it interesting they're skipping around announcing episodes. Maybe they're hiding something, like during the Alola League? All I know is if the Piplup and Crogunk in the artwork for episode 8 aren't Dawn and Brock's, I'm going to be pretty miffed. If out of all the Pokemon from Sinnoh they could've chosen to have a conflict is those two, and there's no connection...then that's just a weird, almost unfair, choice.

The artwork for each episode is really beautiful, though. I will say that.
I'll be pretty disappointed too, if it's just a random Piplup and Croagunk.... why? It'll be very frustrating, especially as unlike Bulbasaur and Snorlax? It's quite easy to come to the conclusion that it has to be Dawn and Brock.

If it is though, I'll be quite happy if they go back to treating Croagunk as Brock's signature Pokemon. I miss him

Prepare for over-used stock animation!
Reaction score
Loving the background music! If this is the quality we can expect we are in good hands.

21 years...... Still here!
Reaction score
Just gonna say this right now, I don't mind Ed's music. 95% of the time I find it genuinely pretty good. His theme songs/BGM, I can find good in. I'm curious how he'll handle next gen.

Stuck
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why do some veteran anime watchers still watch the dub? Especially if you're at least aware of the Japanese episode titles months ahead of the dubbed release.

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally speaking, I'm just used to watching the dub. I like waking up to new episodes on Saturday mornings. Even though I'm familiar with most of the major events months before the dub gets to those points, I just find it kind of comforting in a way that I still watch new Pokemon episodes on the weekend. I suppose I could watch both versions, but I never had a strong desire to do so for some reason. I don't dislike the dub score, but based on the clips I have seen from various Japanese episodes, the original score does have more of a kick to it, so I can understand why people are upset when they change the score for the dub.

Status
Not open for further replies.