• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baby Boy Babies
Reaction score
Yeah, I personally don't have a problem with the dub. They definitely do some things I don't like (Team Rocket's alliteration instantly comes to mind...they're definitely more tolerable in the Japanese episodes) but other things that a lot of people dislike such as the dub music really doesn't bother me. I also just find it much easier to access. Like Hidden Mew said, I enjoy having a new episode to watch every weekend.

While I keep up with what's going in on the Japanese episodes, I generally only watch those episodes at the beginning of each series, or if it's an episode I'm particularly excited about. Even then, however, I really enjoy watching the dub later on to compare, particularly for character or Pokemon voices.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, why do some veteran anime watchers still watch the dub? Especially if you're at least aware of the Japanese episode titles months ahead of the dubbed release.
I mostly just keep an eye out on various episodes for any random NY/guest VA's that show up that I like.

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
I think I primarily watch Pokemon in the dub, just because the voices are usually fine for me, and it allows me to put some focus into another task while I watch the episode, while sub I would have to be watching the screen the entire time.

That being said, in the beginning, I am usually watching the sub for a while as I wait for the dub to come out. So I do see a decent amount of the subbed version, but if I were to go back and watch something and it's out in dub I would watch it in dub, as I am with Sun and Moon now.

Reaction score
Don't go in expecting most, if any "arcs" at all.
View: https://twitter.com/paul_v_v/status/1193104725262131205?s=21

The Animedia magazine interview confirms that this series will mostly be self-contained, in fact even more so than "Sun & Moon" due to the timeslot change meaning that people may not be able to keep up with a weekly series like they could before.

Unless you're me who decides to lock himself in the house every Sunday

All life matters. Not matter age or skin color!
Reaction score

The Animedia magazine interview confirms that this series will mostly be self-contained, in fact even more so than "Sun & Moon" due to the timeslot change meaning that people may not be able to keep up with a weekly series like they could before.

Bah. That is all I have to say

Into the Nether portal...
Reaction score

That's a horribly crying shame. Here's hoping that there's less fillers and more episodes focused on character development/progression.

Reaction score
Here are the translations to in the interview in the magazine:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1193095004891185152

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1193095121153060864

It has interesting information.

So, the new series will be more like how original Sailor Moon was scripted, no real progression, just little to none story plots to be carried over, in the end of the day it is just the characters going through something only to not be remembered later. Ew, okay.
It will be like the first season of Pokemon.

In itself, it is pretty common that anime for children are pretty episodic even if it has an overarching arc, since kids usually enjoy the self-contained adventures (where you can see new Pokemon and places).

To be clear, episodic anime isn't the same that an anime full of fillers.

Filler episodes is created to fill the space until we reached the really important (in plot or character development).

In an episodic anime, the self-contained episodes are a part important of the anime and one of the main attractions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
New researcher seems to be a copy of Molayne, since they seem to be lacking in creativity these days, they may as well just start using old characters, but I'm not holding my breath. I just can't wait until we actually start seeing stuff so we can stop arguing.
Yes, and the female looks like a mix between Sophie (XY) and Lillie.

Reaction score
In Serebii, there is a translation to the part of the interview about the episodic nature of the season:

Q: The current series is going to be episodic, please tell us why this is.
Negishi: The biggest reason for this is the change in the broadcasting environment. The show's current slot in on Sunday at 6pm, but viewers won't necessarily be at home every Sunday, sometimes being out with their family or visiting friends instead. This means we figured it would be very difficult for viewers to keep up with a serialized story without ever missing an episode. This doesn't mean the show is going to be completely episodic, just that we won't do all that many stories that continue over multiple episodes, and that when we do them, we'll make sure every single episode is enjoyable on its own. We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.

A Pokémon Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Serebii, there is a translation to the part of the interview about the episodic nature of the season:

Q: The current series is going to be episodic, please tell us why this is.
Negishi: The biggest reason for this is the change in the broadcasting environment. The show's current slot in on Sunday at 6pm, but viewers won't necessarily be at home every Sunday, sometimes being out with their family or visiting friends instead. This means we figured it would be very difficult for viewers to keep up with a serialized story without ever missing an episode. This doesn't mean the show is going to be completely episodic, just that we won't do all that many stories that continue over multiple episodes, and that when we do them, we'll make sure every single episode is enjoyable on its own. We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.

If this is the case, I don't see how this is any different than past series, to be frank. We never had Dragon Ball esque sagas going on within the series except for the Alola League maybe, and the farthest point the series got was the two parters which were broadcasted in two weeks, and even then the first parter had a good preview in the beginning of the episodes anyway.

Not Dead
Reaction score
I don't think that the episodic nature will be that different than SM, except a long league seems unlikely now.

Reaction score
If this is the case, I don't see how this is any different than past series, to be frank. We never had Dragon Ball esque sagas going on within the series except for the Alola League maybe, and the farthest point the series got was the two parters which were broadcasted in two weeks, and even then the first parter had a good preview in the beginning of the episodes anyway.
Honestly, it is just the context of the interview that seems to imply this "season" will be more episodic than previous "seasons" (which, honestly, were already pretty episodic).

The interview says the change in the broadcasting environment is the biggest reason why the show is going to be episodic.

Reaction score
Agreed.

I think some fans assumed by "episodic" that they mean't the new series would be more like an anthology series. But in reality, it will be structured a lot like it has always been (mainly self-contained, but still have some overarching long-term development.)

Reaction score
I'm hoping "more episodic" just means how the show was pre-SM. He might just be referring to the Aether Paradise and Naganadel arcs as what they're trying to avoid. Diamond and Pearl told a good story within the confines of a more episodic series.

We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.
Another point for Ash using reserves.

I don't think that the episodic nature will be that different than SM, except a long league seems unlikely now.
Hopefully the league will be an exception like it was in previous, more episodic series. If anything I'd just like them to contain most of the battles within a single episode this time instead of that cliffhanger nonsense they went with in SM.

Last edited:
Not Dead
Reaction score
Another point for Ash using reserves.
If they're afraid of kids feeling lost during two-parters, why would they bring back a lot of characters from many years ago that require re-introduction? They want maximum accessibility.

Reaction score
If they're afraid of kids feeling lost during two-parters, why would they bring back a lot of characters from many years ago that require re-introduction? They want maximum accessibility.
Because the kids are going to miss the episodes where Ash catches new Pokemon anyway. They've all gone out with their families because it's Sunday. .

Dracovish is OP.
Reaction score
By "self-containing", they mean things like the UB Arc. Which has one after another UB appear in different episodes but a casual can watch one without having to watch the other one before. And if there are arcs, they will be 2-3 Parters only. Of couse this does mean less references and of course they still will definitely throw some here and there.

Not Dead
Reaction score
Then compounding the problem isn't going to make things any better. If the new Pokemon (not necessarily new species) are showcased often, then the kids will warm up to them quickly even if they missed some episodes. This could only work for a handful of reserves and they don't even seem to be doing that with Bulbasaur.

Reaction score
So any word if there will be an English Dub Sneak Peek for this? We saw it happen for X/Y and S/M, but maybe things are different now that Pokémon has been on Disney XD for a few years now. Maybe Disney XD isn't interested in a sneak peek? Afterall, we are still waiting for any announcement for Movie 22's dub.

Status
Not open for further replies.