• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what exactly is your problem with that?
The completely limiting factor creativly that basically dictates that if the companion is female then they must be into events akin to Contests (thus become interchangeable which no character should feel) or fall into the abyss of being completely directionless. Even Serena ended up falling into the same hole with them sending her off to do Pokémon Contests as the next step in her journey.

The completely limiting factor creativly that basically dictates that if the companion is female then they must be into events akin to Contests (thus become interchangeable which no character should feel) or fall into the abyss of being completely directionless. Even Serena ended up falling into the same hole with them sending her off to do Pokémon Contests as the next step in her journey.
Perhaps that's the reason why the new series have Gou.

Perhaps that's the reason why the new series have Gou.
While good to have a character with a goal that’s not interchangeable, it just kinda more so sheds light on the fact that it should have been a girl to at least give us a female who is as prominent to the series as Ash especially with them doing a duel protagonist situation. It just seems weird that in a series aimed at both boys and girls that the second they present having 2 protagonists, rather than having a girl fill that role, they then choose to create another boy to take on that role.

Last edited:
While good to have a character with a goal that’s not interchangeable, it just kinda more so sheds light on the fact that it should have been a girl to at least give us a female who is as prominent to the series as Ash especially with them doing a duel protagonist situation. It just seems weird that in a series aimed at both boys and girls that the second they present having 2 protagonists, rather than having a girl fill that role, they then choose to create another boy to take on that role.
It would still attract the girls for thinking how cute or hot he is.

Except not all girls are into that kind of stuff.

We know. Not all girls are into being represented by female characters either. They can't reach each female (in the same way, they can't reach each male).

I don't think female characters in Pokemon was the main attraction for young girls since its female characters are pretty relegated. The cute and magical creatures would be a more likely reason.

The Mainstream is more targeted towards Male Audiences than Female Audiences these days sadly...
The ratings even show that most that watch Pokemon are boys. SwSh also has a more masculine feel, and it seems like the new anime is also doing the same thing with the main cast of 2.

His encounter with Ho-Oh had nothing to do with his goal to be Pokémon Master, so I'm not sure why did you even think of it.
I'm talking about AU Ash.
  1. The movie specifically retcons out the line where Ash declared that he'd become a Pokemon Master (right after watching TV).
  2. AU Ash first brings up his goal in the conversation where the group discuss Ho-Oh and Ash's encounter with it.
  3. When he loses to Cross, his main concern is Ho-Oh.
What's the alternative, anyway? That the original Ash had a secret encounter before the show even started? That Ash's description was randomly changed? I don't find those options likely.

More girls would watch if there was a female co-protagonist, these are things that influence each other.

On another note, the pyjama:

More girls would watch if there was a female co-protagonist, these are things that influence each other.

On another note, the pyjama:

View attachment 125805
The ratings even show that most that watch Pokemon are boys. SwSh also has a more masculine feel, and it seems like the new anime is also doing the same thing with the main cast of 2.

I not saying that there won't be a Female Protagonist as well since we are in the early stages before Sunday.

How do you figure that SWSH has more of a masculine feel to it? It maintains the prospect of a male or female protagonist that you can customize with numerous options. Even when it comes to that, the females have a lot more options than the males.

Not really serious here, but what if the reason Gou looks like he could be of either gender is that one of the writers had this great idea for a second protag, but he was going to be male, and enough of the crew had questions about whether or not that would go over well, so they decided to design him to possibly be either gender so if they got enough backlash regarding not having a female in the main cast they could go back and say "just kidding Gou was a girl all along" without having to change anything they had already produced except a few pronouns in the voice acting.

I think my feeling about this announcement would be a lot different if Gou were, in fact, a girl (and even if they changed now I would feel better). Not really digging the design, but it isn't because of the gender neutral aspect, I'm a big fan of Angie and was hoping to see her more than we did, and liked Anabel quite a bit too, I think the main reason I don't like the design is because it reminds me too much of Ash (who is, in fact, still present and doesn't really need to be reminded of in the form of a second protagonist).

One more big issue on the gender thing, I get we are beating this to death and it is getting really old, but it is still a really disappointing aspect to me. Everyone says this is only a negative to female viewers not having a female protag, but I think it can be damaging to anyone, regardless of their gender. I don't think it matters which gender the viewer is, some people connect better with females and some connect better with males. I can't see any reason why having both would be a bad thing, but I can see a lot of reasons why not having one or the other would be a bad thing in a world like Pokemon, where anyone is encouraged to do what they like regardless of their gender (except, for some reason, showcases). The writers still tend to write boys in a certain way and girls in a certain way, even though in reality preferences, likes, and dislikes are less dictated by gender (due to less pressure than before - not because of a change in human nature) than ever before, which means that some of us, regardless of our gender, are more likely to connect with a female character due to the way they are written or more likely to connect to a male character due to the way they are written. And since they always have multiple characters in the main cast, and the one with the most attention is a male, why not allow the one with the second most attention to be a female (like they have for most of the history of the show)?

How do you figure that SWSH has more of a masculine feel to it? It maintains the prospect of a male or female protagonist that you can customize with numerous options. Even when it comes to that, the females have a lot more options than the males.
I dunno, I guess it's the sports theme. Also it's compairing some of the past regions. Not what I have hoped. But since the bed has been made, I'd have to sleep in it.

Not really serious here, but what if the reason Gou looks like he could be of either gender is that one of the writers had this great idea for a second protag, but he was going to be male, and enough of the crew had questions about whether or not that would go over well, so they decided to design him to possibly be either gender so if they got enough backlash regarding not having a female in the main cast they could go back and say "just kidding Gou was a girl all along" without having to change anything they had already produced except a few pronouns in the voice acting.

I think my feeling about this announcement would be a lot different if Gou were, in fact, a girl (and even if they changed now I would feel better). Not really digging the design, but it isn't because of the gender neutral aspect, I'm a big fan of Angie and was hoping to see her more than we did, and liked Anabel quite a bit too, I think the main reason I don't like the design is because it reminds me too much of Ash (who is, in fact, still present and doesn't really need to be reminded of in the form of a second protagonist).

One more big issue on the gender thing, I get we are beating this to death and it is getting really old, but it is still a really disappointing aspect to me. Everyone says this is only a negative to female viewers not having a female protag, but I think it can be damaging to anyone, regardless of their gender. I don't think it matters which gender the viewer is, some people connect better with females and some connect better with males. I can't see any reason why having both would be a bad thing, but I can see a lot of reasons why not having one or the other would be a bad thing in a world like Pokemon, where anyone is encouraged to do what they like regardless of their gender (except, for some reason, showcases). The writers still tend to write boys in a certain way and girls in a certain way, even though in reality preferences, likes, and dislikes are less dictated by gender (due to less pressure than before - not because of a change in human nature) than ever before, which means that some of us, regardless of our gender, are more likely to connect with a female character due to the way they are written or more likely to connect to a male character due to the way they are written. And since they always have multiple characters in the main cast, and the one with the most attention is a male, why not allow the one with the second most attention to be a female (like they have for most of the history of the show)?

But by then it would be too late, since the narrator would confirm his gender at day one.

Where does it ever state that the encounter was to be outside the show? Idk about you, but I clearly remember the Ho-oh encounter in the very first episode.
The in-show encounter wasn't the trigger for his goal, as he had already mentioned it. The movie changed that.

Not to mention that the show last referenced Ho-Oh in 2006. It didn't make that big an impact on the original Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom