• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • ME finally got off his butt and has started his own LP of Platinum version. Watch the chaos unfold here.

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Came up with this joke a while back, but thought I did some tweaking with it. It's from a Looney Tunes cartoon, Elmer's Pet Rabbit.

Gou: This is Sword and Shield. Isn't it lovely?

Scorbunny: Frankly, New Protagonist. I don't like it. it stinks. wanders around When I think of what it could've been. Epic. Makes my blood boil. It, a potential Diamond and Pearl. For what? Oh, the irony of it all... Scorbunny sees the Rotom Phone What's this?

Gou: Masters.

Scorbunny: It's what? Masters? What are you think I am, a Wailord? Scorbunny began looking at the Rotom Phone I'll boycott before I pay this junk... Began paying and laying That's what I'll do, I'll boycott... you'll be sorry... sorry for killing the franchise... you'll be ashamed of yourself... this is terrible... pay it yourself, it's disgraceful, that's what it is... how could you goof up your own mainstream game over a spinoff app on a phone...

Last edited:
Reaction score
In Serebii forum, it was translated a twitter message from Rica Matsumoto (Satoshi VA):

"Since the new series involves two protagonists that are one in body and soul, I'm going to live up to that by playing Satoshi with a lot of soul. What's going to happen to him in the face of all these new encounters and adventures? Satoshi is unlikely to ever back down no matter what he has to go up against, so please cheer him on."

Someone
Reaction score
Came up with this joke a while back, but thought I did some tweaking with it. It's from a Looney Tunes cartoon, Elmer's Pet Rabbit.

Gou: This is Sword and Shield. Isn't it lovely?

Scorbunny: Frankly, New Protagonist. I don't like it. it stinks. wanders around When I think of what it could've been. Epic. Makes my blood boil. It, a potential Diamond and Pearl. For what? Oh, the irony of it all... Scorbunny sees the Rotom Phone What's this?

Gou: Masters.

Scorbunny: It's what? Masters? What are you think I am, a Wailord? Scorbunny began looking at the Rotom Phone I'll boycott before I pay this junk... Began paying and laying That's what I'll do, I'll boycott... you'll be sorry... sorry for killing the franchise... you'll be ashamed of yourself... this is terrible... pay it yourself, it's disgraceful, that's what it is... how could you goof up your own mainstream game over a spinoff app on a phone...
That was a horrible joke.

超高校級に忘れっぽい残念子さん
Reaction score
If they bring back previous Gym Leaders (and in the case it's still the same continuity (OS-SM) and not some AU), Natsume has to return, she just has to.
Every time I watch those 3 Yamabuki saga Kanto episodes it always comes to mind: why Natsume has no interactions with no one after becoming good? It's just a laugh and a background goodbye wave, all we got... Perhaps Ghost could appear too? (and the doubt of Satoshi actually capturing it being finally settled... Yeah, I doubt it)

Reaction score
So, what exactly is your problem with that?
The completely limiting factor creativly that basically dictates that if the companion is female then they must be into events akin to Contests (thus become interchangeable which no character should feel) or fall into the abyss of being completely directionless. Even Serena ended up falling into the same hole with them sending her off to do Pokémon Contests as the next step in her journey.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
The completely limiting factor creativly that basically dictates that if the companion is female then they must be into events akin to Contests (thus become interchangeable which no character should feel) or fall into the abyss of being completely directionless. Even Serena ended up falling into the same hole with them sending her off to do Pokémon Contests as the next step in her journey.
Perhaps that's the reason why the new series have Gou.

Reaction score
Perhaps that's the reason why the new series have Gou.
While good to have a character with a goal that’s not interchangeable, it just kinda more so sheds light on the fact that it should have been a girl to at least give us a female who is as prominent to the series as Ash especially with them doing a duel protagonist situation. It just seems weird that in a series aimed at both boys and girls that the second they present having 2 protagonists, rather than having a girl fill that role, they then choose to create another boy to take on that role.

Last edited:
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
While good to have a character with a goal that’s not interchangeable, it just kinda more so sheds light on the fact that it should have been a girl to at least give us a female who is as prominent to the series as Ash especially with them doing a duel protagonist situation. It just seems weird that in a series aimed at both boys and girls that the second they present having 2 protagonists, rather than having a girl fill that role, they then choose to create another boy to take on that role.
It would still attract the girls for thinking how cute or hot he is.

Reaction score
Except not all girls are into that kind of stuff.
We know. Not all girls are into being represented by female characters either. They can't reach each female (in the same way, they can't reach each male).

I don't think female characters in Pokemon was the main attraction for young girls since its female characters are pretty relegated. The cute and magical creatures would be a more likely reason.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
The Mainstream is more targeted towards Male Audiences than Female Audiences these days sadly...
The ratings even show that most that watch Pokemon are boys. SwSh also has a more masculine feel, and it seems like the new anime is also doing the same thing with the main cast of 2.

Pretense
Reaction score
His encounter with Ho-Oh had nothing to do with his goal to be Pokémon Master, so I'm not sure why did you even think of it.
I'm talking about AU Ash.
  1. The movie specifically retcons out the line where Ash declared that he'd become a Pokemon Master (right after watching TV).
  2. AU Ash first brings up his goal in the conversation where the group discuss Ho-Oh and Ash's encounter with it.
  3. When he loses to Cross, his main concern is Ho-Oh.
What's the alternative, anyway? That the original Ash had a secret encounter before the show even started? That Ash's description was randomly changed? I don't find those options likely.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Rica's comments do imply that this is not an AU Ash, but rather the same one that we've been following for 7 generations and 22 years.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
More girls would watch if there was a female co-protagonist, these are things that influence each other.

On another note, the pyjama:

View attachment 125805
The ratings even show that most that watch Pokemon are boys. SwSh also has a more masculine feel, and it seems like the new anime is also doing the same thing with the main cast of 2.
I not saying that there won't be a Female Protagonist as well since we are in the early stages before Sunday.

Reaction score
How do you figure that SWSH has more of a masculine feel to it? It maintains the prospect of a male or female protagonist that you can customize with numerous options. Even when it comes to that, the females have a lot more options than the males.

Status
Not open for further replies.