• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Gou's Design is so bland. Like there's no colors at all. Compare that with some of the SM Designs and heck even the XY Designs. Gou just looks stale.
The colours really are a problem. Red and black are among my least favourite colours and a protagonist should reflect a variety of tastes.
For example Satoshi has the colours of all starters: blue, red, green, yellow. He's more varied and that helps make him a protagonist for everyone.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
The colours really are a problem. Red and black are among my least favourite colours and a protagonist should reflect a variety of tastes.
For example Satoshi has the colours of all starters: blue, red, green, yellow. He's more varied and that helps him make a protagonist for everyone.
Makes me think of Thomas and James from Thomas and Friends when looking at Ash and Gou.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
This seems to look like it's going to become another AU series entirely just so to refresh the already stale series and to show the newer kids the world of Pokemon. No doubt it'll be in chronological order and be caring less for Gen 8 at all.

I am getting sick and tired of their decisions and empty broken promises.
Why are you being so negative?

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I am getting sick and tired of their decisions and empty broken promises.
What promises? They almost didn't tell us anything from this new show. The only thing we know is Ash is back, his new companion is Gou, Gou's goal and that all of the regions will show up. That's about it!

Last edited:
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
What promises? They almost didn't tell us anything from this new show. The only thing we know is Ash is back, his new companion is Gou and Gou's goal and that all of the regions will show up. That's about it!
I mean we were suppose to get something this week, only to add another date next week. Not just anime, but the SwSh as well. However, I will give this the benefit of the doubt when the games do come out.

Reaction score
I personally like this approach because gen 7 gave us too much and expectations were everywhere at the time.
It's good that they're avoiding spoilers, but all this reboot/not-a-reboot debate is making this seriously agonizing. If they could confirm one way or the other and then go back into silence we could all relax. To be fair though, it's possible that they never even considered rebooting the series, and that fans are single-handedly responsible for all the confusion. From their perspective, fans shouldn't be suspecting a reboot so it wouldn't make sense for them to have to confirm that it isn't.

Someone
Reaction score
It's good that they're avoiding spoilers, but all this reboot/not-a-reboot debate is making this seriously agonizing. If they could confirm one way or the other and then go back into silence we could all relax. To be fair though, it's possible that they never even considered rebooting the series, and that fans are single-handedly responsible for all the confusion. From their perspective, fans shouldn't be suspecting a reboot so it wouldn't make sense for them to have to confirm that it isn't.
Usually, if companies don't confirm something that fans hope for (not-a-reboot in this case) then that is exactly what they'll do. If it was a reboot then they'd have hinted at it a lot earlier.

An example, a bit off-topic, would be Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version which they were very silent about but didn't deny exactly. And voila, they announced RDR2 for PC two days ago.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or it looks more like a complete reboot where Ash starts his journey through Kanto and meets Gou there, which is exactly what I feared would happen.
but his Japanese voice actor say his journey to be a pokemon master isn't over you think they reboot ash/use au ash I think not remember they wanted to try something new for the s/m movies retelling ash's journey from the first episode or ash traveling alone this is our ash we grew up with

Reaction score
Usually, if companies don't confirm something that fans hope for (not-a-reboot in this case) then that is exactly what they'll do. If it was a reboot then they'd have hinted at it a lot earlier.

An example, a bit off-topic, would be Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version which they were very silent about about but didn't deny exactly. And voila, they announced RDR2 for PC two days ago.
I hope you're right, but at the same time TPC could be so out of touch that they could actually think that fans would be excited over a reboot. Once again, I hope we get something substantial on Sunday. Also I like your new avatar.

Someone
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but at the same time TPC could be so out of touch that they could actually think that fans would be excited over a reboot. Once again, I hope we get something substantial on Sunday. Also I like your new avatar.
If fans were pissed off at the National Dex cut (essentially not continuing the past), do you think they'll be happy with an anime reboot (again, not continuing the past)? Especially the passionate fans who grew up alongside Ash. Besides, Rica Matsumoto's words give me relief because they state a continuation.

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, the lack of news was disappointing, especially when they just have close ups of the announcement poster from last week, but I also think that some of the reactions here are a bit much. I just don't think that it makes sense to assume the worse about the upcoming series or that this was a broken promise when we know so little about it. I completely understand being frustrated about the lack of news. We have a lot of questions and waiting a whole month just to get a teaser poster definitely didn't help matters. I'm just kind of tired of seeing negativity towards this series already.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Some of us are a bit worried about this new anime because of the make such a secret about it. It really comes off like they want to hide something from us.
Plus, when you look back on Pokemon as a whole and how they presented the next Gen Pokemon before the game came out, we had diddly squad for 2019 in both the anime and movies. This makes me feel like they are going to reboot the entire series and start again from scratch, which I hope they don't. Ash may have become Champion, but Ash's path to become Pokemon Master is not over in the sense that he is still the main character. It doesn't mean that there might be a continuation. Since Gen 5, they seem to have forgotten of what made Pokemon so special in the first place and instead tried giving us refreshes after refreshes that lacked the feel and spark that it once had.

My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
At this point, I'm not really worried about this series being a reboot. I suppose it's still possible, but to me it's not coming across that way. I also agree that all of the gloom and doom is a little overboard. It's the same story as last week: we really can't say the new series looks or sounds bad when we know next to nothing about it. We can be disappointed by the lack of news (I know I am) but we can't really be disappointed in the actual series because...we don't know anything about it.

One other possibility for the lack of news that I've seen speculated is that the beginning of this new series has heavy spoilers for the end of SM. That's never stopped them from sharing new series info prior to the end of the previous saga before, but this definitely seems to be a somewhat different take on the anime than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.