• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masters for obvious reasons (Gym Leaders/E4/Champions) Characters that you would find in the older games.

Also it might make a lot of sense for the Pokeballs and items to be stored in the Rotom Phones, just like Go does.

Except that we haven't seen any signs of returning characters being featured in this series. It's certainly possible given the world traveling setup, but it's far from confirmed. Besides that, I still can't really see them devoting that much time promoting Masters. Despite how much hype there was for it, I don't think it has been a huge hit, so it just comes off as a huge assumption based on nothing. I also can't really see them storing Pokeballs in the Rotom Phones, if only because they've never really cared about where the characters carried their items before. It would be even less likely if Rotom from SM follows Ash into this next series.

By the looks of it, none of Ash's companions this series will be based on any game character which will be a first

It might be a bit early to say that they aren't based on any game characters. It is possible, but since they haven't revealed too many of the human characters, it's entirely possible that Go and Koharu are somewhere in Sword/Shield. I don't think that we found out about Iris being in B/W until the games came out, so this could be a similar kind of situation, especially when information on the games have been minimal during the past couple of months.

Can you get out of here with that here whiny attitude? It's near sickening and besides, I don't see any stable and official evidence of anything AU or reboot related.
Does it look like I'm whining? I'm just giving an honorable salute for the new series.

"The Alola Pokémon League is over, and Satoshi and his friends have gone back to their normal lives as well. At the Pokémon School, Professor Kukui asks everyone what their plans for the upcoming vacation is. And after Satoshi hears what everyone's plans and future dreams are, he makes a certain decision."

Even here, they are hinting at a continuation from SM. Whenever Ash makes a "decision" at the end of a series, it's always to tie into the next one. Historically his decision has been hearing about a new region and wanted to travel there, but this time it will probably be a little different to foreshadow the premise of the new series. Perhaps his decision this time is to travel back to Kanto to take on the Indigo League one more time.

Sounds to me like another self containment episode where Ash just keeps his ideas for travel a secret and travels back home to Pallet Town. The new series would have Ash invited by Professor Oak to attend that institute where he will meet his new friends and start of on a new adventure. Atm we are just grasping for straws, but from the way TPCi is acting this year, it looks as if they want to give everything a fresh start.

Besides that, I still can't really see them devoting that much time promoting Masters. Despite how much hype there was for it, I don't think it has been a huge hit, so it just comes off as a huge assumption based on nothing.

This is a really good point. People are really overestimating the success of Masters. The developers literally just released an entire statement regarding how disappointed people are in the actual game, which is super uncommon. Hype before release definitely doesn't translate over into hype once the game is actually playable. They've likely been working on this series for a while, so I highly doubt Masters played a big part, if any, in its development.

I am also curious if Gou and Koharu (as well as the professor) are characters in SwSh. At first glance, I fully thought they were anime exclusives, but honestly, there's still a ton about SwSh that we don't know about, so they could very well be in game characters. I mean, even Kiawe and Lana's little sisters were in the SM games.

I wouldn't mind a 4th companion, but the group being Ash, Gou, and Koharu would be great.

I wouldn't mind it being Brock or Tracey (Preferably Tracey, despite Brock being my favorite character), so they can focus on mentoring the other ones, while Ash can focus on his own goal (And obviously, they need someone who can cook, else they will starve).

I wouldn't mind it being Brock or Tracey (Preferably Tracey, despite Brock being my favorite character), so they can focus on mentoring the other ones, while Ash can focus on his own goal (And obviously, they need someone who can cook, else they will starve).

Tracey would be great as he has been seriously underused and practically forgotten.

Ash won a league, so now's the best time to finally reboot everything and get a solid restart on everything

It's a pipe dream, but it'd be nice if nothing from the old series carried over and Ash got to experience everything without it trying to pander to nostalgia
Yeah, as much as we love it to be, and regardless to how much money it makes, it's already clear to us that Nostalgia has by now outstayed it's welcome.

Ash won a league, so now's the best time to finally reboot everything and get a solid restart on everything
On the contrary, it's the worst time for a reboot. Ash has only won a minor/inaugural League Conference, not been appointed the next Arceus of the Pokeworld.
It's a pipe dream, but it'd be nice if nothing from the old series carried over and Ash got to experience everything without it trying to pander to nostalgia
It's not about nostalgia at all, stop being one track minded. It's about a proper conclusion to his journey which would be wasted after all these years. If they wanted to reboot, they should have done it by having him win in Sinnoh or Kalos (Kalos especially due to the waifu angle).

Rebooting now is rendering it all wasted, including all the Pokemon he caught and bonded with and the friends he made. Not to mention his achievements/placement in various competitions including the Leagues.
Yeah, as much as we love it to be, and regardless to how much money it makes, it's already clear to us that Nostalgia has by now outstayed it's welcome.
What I said above applies to you to as well. You did a sudden 180, sure your account isn't hacked?

Last edited:
On the contrary, it's the worst time for a reboot. Ash has only won a minor/inaugural League Conference, not been appointed the next Arceus of the Pokeworld.

It's not about nostalgia at all, stop being one track minded. It's about a proper conclusion to his journey which would be wasted after all these years. If they wanted to reboot, they should have done it by having him win in Sinnoh or Kalos (Kalos especially due to the waifu angle).

Rebooting now is rendering it all wasted, including all the Pokemon he caught and bonded with and the friends he made.

What I said above applies to you to as well. You did a sudden 180, sure your account isn't hacked?
what 180? If you mean my doom and gloom to what I think of Nostalgia, then no. They might give us something that we have yet to expect. They haven't revealed too much because they want to throw it all out on release day for SwSh because... well, there's no point repeating myself.

what 180? If you mean my doom and gloom to what I think of Nostalgia, then no. They might give us something that we have yet to expect. They haven't revealed too much because they want to throw it all out on release day for SwSh because... well, there's no point repeating myself.
I do find the lack of information (or information being redundant) highly annoying but that's no reason to be doomed to gloom and start fear mongering. The way SM is apparently going to end as well as the stuff we know about the next series, including director/voice actor comments makes me believe that it'll be a continuation.

I do find the lack of information (or information being redundant) highly annoying but that's not reason to be doomed to gloom and start fear mongering. The way SM is apparently going to end as well as the stuff we know about the next series, including director/voice actor comments makes me believe that it'll be a continuation.
Let's hope so. Or partially so. It could may as well be a hybrid of the two. a Continuation from Kanto, and AU with original Anime characters and plot. The anime will end with Ash returning to Pallet Town, and have the new series starting afresh and new.

That's what they've been doing for 23 years. If the show's gotten stale, it's because the writers always hit the reset button immediately after Ash shows any signs of development.

I think you're confusing nostalgia with just telling a complete story. Do you really want to see Ash experience everything for the first time...again? Just go watch the last 20 years of the series if so. The anime has never actually pandered to nostalgia much at all to begin with, I think you might be confusing that with the marketing. The last 3 series have been hardly willing to admit that anything came beforehand, and even when they do they give the bare minimum.

If they want something fresh and new, they need to let Ash advance his journey instead of resetting again. He's been trapped at the beginner stage for 20 years. If they let him keep his experiences and accomplishments, the writers will have even more stories to tell and we'll see a side of this character we've never seen. If Ash goes to a previous region, he will have different interactions with existing characters and events because he'll have a new perspective as a champion. A rebooted Ash would have to collect badges and just repeat what we've already seen, but with an experienced Ash the possibilities are endless. In what world does starting as a beginner for the eighth time sound more refreshing than a proper continuation?

Do you think that any of Ash's hero Pokémon, like Charizard and Sceptile, will return in the new series from the Pokémon anime?

That shot of Vermillion City is very nice.
I know it's not likely but it would be interesting to see Surge again if Ash is gonna be spending lots of time there. Not a recurring character but maybe he could be involved in a single episode.
(Just not for another Pikachu vs Raichu battle)

Do you think that any of Ash's hero Pokémon, like Charizard and Sceptile, will return in the new series from the Pokémon anime?
The new title and exploring previous regions makes me think it's more likely than the previous several series', though not guaranteed. However, when going through Kanto in the Frontier he started using some older Mon again (Snorlax, bringing the Kanto starters back together for Brandon, Phanpy traveling with him) so there is precedent.

Considering how much it gets pushed I think a Charizard appearance is more likely, but I'd certainly like to see Sceptile and other veterans again.

I do think that Ash will use his older Pokemon because think about it, the main reason Ash gets rid of his Pokemon before a new series is so they can show off the new Pokemon. But unless the show will take place in Galar for a lot longer than they're letting on, he won't really have an opportunity to catch many Galar Pokemon. And seeing how Gou's the one aiming to catch Pokemon, they might leave that mostly to him. So from least to mostly likely, I believe:

1. The series will spend a long enough time in Galar for Ash to catch a full team of Galar Pokemon.
  2. Ash will start with Pikachu and somehow find Galar Pokemon in older regions and exclusively catch them.
  3. Ash will start with Pikachu and catch new older Pokemon in older regions , which I would find to be an odd choice (but still interesting). @BigDocFan theorized one of the characters getting a Farfetch'd and evolving it in Galar, so it would be cool if Ash got it. Similar to how Ash and Dawn had Jhoto Pokemon in DP, because they evolved into Sinnoh Pokemon.
  4. Ash will mostly use his older Pokemon, and catch one or two new ones in Galar.

Last edited:
I am really interested to see what is happening with these new characters. In the phrasing from Serebii, they make it sound like the Institute is the hub for their adventures. It makes me go back on an idea I had when the anime title was initially announced, where they would just be traveling all around to different places, maybe in no real order. I'm not going to say for sure because it could go anyway at this point, but it is interesting for sure.

I also really appreciate that they are making more anime-exclusive characters. They are free to do a lot more with personality.

I am hoping because we have some frames of them in how it might look in the anime, I wonder if maybe we will actually get a full trailer or at least finally see Ash and Go in motion.

Also oh my gosh the backgrounds look absolutely gorgeous. I wanna see some Galar ones now. I definitely will be using those as my screensavers for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom