• Snowy leaves Circhester and heads to Spikemuth. Watch here as his Rotom Bike learns to swim...somehow.
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching over Ori and Ku
Reaction score
People have a right not to consider the return of reserves a viable reason to stick to the original continuity, seeing as there is no evidence to suggest that they're coming back.

AG and DP included several reserves; the Battle Frontier quickly made up for the Hoenn League. Just because the Johto roster didn't do much in AG (except for Phanpy/Donphan) doesn't mean that it was a surprise to see them in DP, especially in light of HGSS. And Charizard was and probably still is Ash's most popular Pokemon second to Pikachu, so if anything it was a surprise that Sceptile was the one used to beat Darkrai. After all that, Charizard didn't get to finish a single notable battle in BW, and we've seen three other Charizard since then.
Kind of missed the point. We've had long gaps between seeing reserves, and unless the writers flat out mention that they're not going to include them ever again, there's no reason to suddenly make "conclusions" regardless of community opinion. It's an open ended aspect of the anime that can be exploited at any point if required even if it takes years.

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm done with this series. Reveal some info you morons.
They did reveal information though. It was just a few days earlier than Sunday and unlike the last time, it was revealed officially instead of a leak. I definitely do understand the frustration with the minimal amount of information. We still know more about this series than we did back at the start of September. Admittedly, that might not say a whole lot, but it's still more than what we had before. Even the reveal of Koharu is a pretty big deal considering a lot of people were assuming that there wouldn't be a female lead in this series just because she wasn't featured in the teaser poster. We'll get information on the show. It's just a matter of time.

Living it up in the stratosphere
Reaction score
Probably the hundredth time I've posted this, but I'm actually very excited for this anime! It looks like they're going to take the best things about SM - character interactions/development - and try to combine it with things from the more traditional sagas. Not to mention that we'll get to visit all of the regions in the Pokemon world, so the story will probably be much more interesting than usual.

The only tripping points I see are if Gou turns out to be a boring character, or if they don't take advantage of the travelling around the regions aspect. Hopefully, those don't happen.

At least you tried...
Reaction score
Kind of missed the point. We've had long gaps between seeing reserves, and unless the writers flat out mention that they're not going to include them ever again, there's no reason to suddenly make "conclusions" regardless of community opinion. It's an open ended aspect of the anime that can be exploited at any point if required even if it takes years.
I'll actually be surprised if we don't see reserves in this series. The name returning to the original instead of being named after the new games, the poster showing old Pokémon on it, and the fact it's exploring past regions.

Probably the hundredth time I've posted this, but I'm actually very excited for this anime! It looks like they're going to take the best things about SM - character interactions/development - and try to combine it with things from the more traditional sagas. Not to mention that we'll get to visit all of the regions in the Pokemon world, so the story will probably be much more interesting than usual.
Yeah I'm rather optimistic though part of it might be running off goodwill from the Alola League win.(y)
We just know too little for me to be really sure but most of what I've seen has me interested.

Team Mud
Reaction score
I know they're exploring all regions but I hope they don't focus much on Alola as we've just spent the last three series there
Considering the negative reception towards the Alola series, and the fact that anime was set there for the past few years, I don't think we will see a lot of focus on Alola.

Reaction score
I don't know why I bother as there's nothing new except maybe a hint of the newbies' personalities, but here's what was in the "new" trailer regardless.

The base of adventure & new characters!

The Adventure Base - The Sakuragi Institute in Vermilion City, Kanto. With the Sakuragi Institute as their base, Ash and Gou will travel to each Region!

"To understand Pokémon is to understand the world itself!" Professor Sakuragi - Supporting the adventures of Ash and Gou from at the Institute where he researches Pokémon.

"You're late, Gou!" Koharu - A ten year old schoolgirl and daughter of Professor Sakuragi, she's childhood friends with Gou.

Hah~ I hope we see a more substantive trailer in the near future.

My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
Fortunately for me, I wasn't disappointed this week because the professor and Koharu is all I was expecting. It's become pretty clear that whatever the "new information" is each Sunday is going to end up getting leaked a couple of days beforehand. I'll be pleased if we're ever thrown an additional surprise, but honestly it's kind of nice to have lowered expectations and not be let down week after week.

There's still a lot I want to know, but it's also become pretty obvious that they're taking their time to reveal all of it. Hopefully there's a good reason for it, and we're in store for something exciting. The one thing I still want more than anything is a trailer, solely so I can see the new art in motion. The characters look pretty good flat, and I cannot get over just how gorgeous that scene artwork is, so I'm really excited to see them together and moving.

Watching over Ori and Ku
Reaction score
Considering the negative reception towards the Alola series, and the fact that anime was set there for the past few years, I don't think we will see a lot of focus on Alola.
SM's reception was hardly negative at all. Maybe initially after the entire Kalos finals backlash, not to mention the sudden artstyle shift and the school prospect. But its reputation gradually increased especially after the first year, and reached peak positive with the Alola finals.

It's only overall problems were the lack of travelling, the adventure aspect of it... and the lack of hardcore and intense battles.

Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
My main complaints about Sun and Moon are staying in one place and the lack of Pokemon captures and enjoyable battles

Hopefully the new series could improve that when they visit Alola

Team Mud
Reaction score
Yeah I doubt they care about negative reception. More so, the reception towards SM has improved.
SM's reception was hardly negative at all. Maybe initially after the entire Kalos finals backlash, not to mention the sudden artstyle shift and the school prospect. But its reputation gradually increased especially after the first year, and reached peak positive with the Alola finals.
I was under the impression that SM was not particularity well-liked. Everywhere I went online seemed to see it as one of the worst, if not the worst, anime series.

Watching over Ori and Ku
Reaction score
I was under the impression that SM was not particularity well-liked. Everywhere I went online seemed to see it as one of the worst, if not the worst, anime series.
Where "everywhere"? It had its downs and bad pacing, but it's a decent series. Better than OS and the Hoenn arc of AG, and definitely miles better than BW.

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think that SM is a hugely popular series like DP and XY were, but I don't think it is hated that much either. I see plenty of people liking SM here and other sites. Even before Ash won the Alola League, the reception towards SM seemed to be pretty positive. At worst, I'd say it's more mixed than a series that is overwhelmingly disliked like what happened with BW.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I don't think that SM is a hugely popular series like DP and XY were, but I don't think it is hated that much either. I see plenty of people liking SM here and other sites. Even before Ash won the Alola League, the reception towards SM seemed to be pretty positive. At worst, I'd say it's more mixed than a series that is overwhelmingly disliked like what happened with BW.
Yet we're looking at it all in a western perspective, when we are suppose to be looking at the anime to what the Japanese think. It was by pure chance that the Yokai Watch fad threw a spanner into Gen 6, which explains to why Gen 6 was not as popular in Japan at the time. Gen 7 meanwhile came out when the Yokai Watch fad died away, and thus was able to gain more airing. However due to the change in airing, it is unsure.

Watching over Ori and Ku
Reaction score
Yet we're looking at it all in a western perspective, when we are suppose to be looking at the anime to what the Japanese think. It was by pure chance that the Yokai Watch fad threw a spanner into Gen 6, which explains to why Gen 6 was not as popular in Japan at the time. Gen 7 meanwhile came out when the Yokai Watch fad died away, and thus was able to gain more airing. However due to the change in airing, it is unsure.
That mentality no longer applies in this modern age, where Pokemon is 20 times more popular in western countries than in Japan itself. Don't even forget that this is the Reiwa Era now.

Last edited:
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
That mentality no longer applies in this modern age, where Pokemon is 20 times more popular in western countries than in Japan itself. Don't even forget that this Reiwa Era now.
Perhaps this is where Pokemon truly starts becoming international, expanding more out into the world than in Japan.

Reaction score
I'd agree with you if we were in Early-2017. But I am seeing the reception changing ever since the UB Arc began.

Status
Not open for further replies.