• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I do not see any big differences. For me, the art style ist much closer to the one of Sun and Moon. I do not see how people see anything XY related to those artworks. It is clearly an updated version of the S&M art style. I think in the minds of people, who hate the Sun and Moon anime to this date, just hope in their own minds, that this upcoming will be like XY.

I personally hope it will not be that case and from what I see they want to continue with the more heart-lighted direction. I think I can not stand another anime with shipping wars.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Ooo, Cacnea as well.

Wonder if we'll see James collect Cacnea from Gardenia whilst in Sinnoh unless it happens off screen
Unless in Japan they give Gardenia a new VA since her original died of Colon Cancer 6 years ago, and her English one just wondered off somewhere after playing as her.

It might be difficult of getting Cacnea back from her since she loves it to bits. But then... she loves every Grass Type to bits. Her first debut was a subtle fetish fest with her letting Cacnea Pin Missile her back reasons explained in Fanzine i'm working on , and having her head chomped by Carnivine and loving it. Why not trade it back with Milo, lol.

Though... It would be interesting for the TRio to have some Galar Pokemon in their team as well.

All life matters. Not matter age or skin color!
Reaction score
I don't get why Ash gets an update and Trio not.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
It is really strange. But the Pokémon themselves also never really got an updated art style. At least not that much. They still blend in well with the new designs of the humans, but you can tell that humans, Pokémon and sometimes even the backgrounds are drawn in different art styles.

All life matters. Not matter age or skin color!
Reaction score
It is really strange. But the Pokémon themselves also never really got an updated art style. At least not that much. They still blend in well with the new designs of the humans, but you can tell that humans, Pokémon and sometimes even the backgrounds are drawn in different art styles.
Maybe that is the plan, to use each art style again?

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5oUiAvMH0s

If you look in the trailer, you see them having two new Pokemon (sketch form) that are yet to be revealed in SwSh. Both are robot Pokemon, one a rocket based Gachapon Machine and another a Martian Tripod Fighting Machine from War of the Worlds. It's hard to make out, but they do have sounds of their own, what do you think? Because when translating the sub, it describes it as some sort of accompanying Robot machine that makes machines for them to catch Pikachu and other Pokemon. Powered by Rotom or something.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They look good. I wish James's hair was a bit sharper but oh well.

If you look in the trailer, you see them having two new Pokemon (sketch form) that are yet to be revealed in SwSh. Both are robot Pokemon, one a rocket based Gachapon Machine and another a Martian Tripod Fighting Machine from War of the Worlds. It's hard to make out, but they do have sounds of their own, what do you think?
That's a mecha, not new pokemon.

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
The art style looks good so far, just wish we had some proper animation to see it in action

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Since Ash hasbecome Champion of Alola, I am concerned that he won't be competing in the Galar League and instead create a sort of slice of life series for the new series instead, no League whatsoever. (except for the last couple of episodes)

Reaction score

If you look in the trailer, you see them having two new Pokemon (sketch form) that are yet to be revealed in SwSh. Both are robot Pokemon, one a rocket based Gachapon Machine and another a Martian Tripod Fighting Machine from War of the Worlds. It's hard to make out, but they do have sounds of their own, what do you think? Because when translating the sub, it describes it as some sort of accompanying Robot machine that makes machines for them to catch Pikachu and other Pokemon. Powered by Rotom or something.
They are mechas.

Reaction score
So a more refined and polished version of how they look like in Sun & Moon?

I say they're lookin good.
Yeah; They look MUCH Better here; as does Ash and the pokemon!!
Ok honestly I really like this new artsyle It's like it looks like XY and SM at the same time, much better than SM art style.
I Agree; it's much closer to XY than SM!!! Which is a MAJOR Upgrade!!

Mimikyu gets to stay for the next series?
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Jessie's Mimikyu ruined & Removed everything I Loved about Mimikyu;

This Video encompasses everything & Every Reason Why I fell in love with Mimikyu, and Why I Hate Jessie's Mimikyu: View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_dO3mMboQ
Since Ash has become Champion of Alola, I am concerned that he won't be competing in the Galar League and instead create a sort of slice of life series for the new series instead, no League whatsoever. (except for the last couple of episodes)
No!!!! That's basically Sun & Moon all over again; I was hoping the series would distance itself from Sun & Moon's Formula; and return back to its roots, with Ash getting a Sponsorship due to his Alola League Victory; and invited to Compete in the Galar League and its qualifying gym battles which are televised within the Region

Last edited:
Reaction score
I honestly can't see a difference in the new TR designs. Without context I would just assume this is SM art. I guess if nothing else this proves that the new art style is an intentional progression from the SM art style, which bodes well for this being a continuation (I know I'm sounding like a broken record). I just hope in addition to their SM designs, TR also keep their personality from that series. Early-Mid SM had Team Rocket at their best, so I'm hoping they won't go back to basics. Although the fact that they're chasing Ash through each region already sounds kind of like a return to form, but I'll remain optimistic.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
No!!!! That's basically Sun & Moon all over again; I was hoping the series would distance itself from Sun & Moon's Formula; and return back to its roots, with Ash getting a Sponsorship due to his Alola League Victory; and invited to Compete in the Galar League and its qualifying gym battles which are televised within the Region
Well to them they think SM was an improved new formula to the past one that they want to stay in that new comfort zone. I even had a dream where they do not want another evil team like Team Galactic or something, even though Galar has a lot of potentials for it.

It's obviously from a past discussion that they hate staying in the same formula and instead want to surprise people with something new.

Antagonizing members at the Clemens Point camp
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how it even has XY Elements to it. I generally don't even see it. Its like people don't want to admit stuff.

View: https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1185854459525484550
The better shading, slightly thicker/sharper edges and the coloring. It's not as apparent with TRio, but go look at the Sakuragi Lab and Vermillion City frames (or even Ash, if you want). The XY-esque detailed artstyle is blatant there, along with the 'cooler' color tone and map of DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.