• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Always happy to help
Reaction score
I've previously mentioned the hope that abilities will get used more, one ability that would be nice is Neutralizing Gas from Galar Weezing

Charizard Enthusiast (Armed and Ready to Go)
Reaction score
So all that we've gotten from yesterday's announcement is that Team Rocket's back? What?! I don't believe it! What a shocking and totally unexpected surprise! I never would've guessed!

In all seriousness, I'm starting to get tired of this type of advertising. We're about three weeks away from the premiere of the new series and, outside of who the main/supporting characters are, the new art style, how the characters in it and a very vague description of their goals (as well as the fact that the entire series will take place in all of the game regions, which we still don't know why that is or how exactly it will work (or how it ties into Ash's goal of becoming a Pokémon Master)), we haven't gotten anything substantial. We don't know how the style look in motion, we don't know much about the new blood, we don't know if the anime will go back to the adventuring formula or remain a comedic slice-of-life (or combination of the two), we don't much about the characters and their motivations, we don't have a synopsis for the plot (assuming there is one), and, as I already mentioned, we still don't know why Ash has decided to travel around the world or how exactly the whole "we're gonna feature all the region, yo" aspect's going to work. By this point, three years ago, we already had an animated trailer and a more detailed information for Sun & Moon, so why is it taking them so long to reveal something substantial this time?

At least you tried...
Reaction score
Yeah, both this new series and Sword+Shield are being very oddly tight-lipped. It seems to be getting more in marketing nowadays from what I've seen and I'm pretty tired of it, too.

Always happy to help
Reaction score
For it might be worth posting this

A new character of the TV anime “Pocket Monster” was announced. Dr. Sakuragi serves as Shinichi Nakamura , and Kana Hanazawa serves as Koharu .

The new TV series of "Pocket Monster", which will be broadcast on TV Tokyo from November 17, is a work in which Satoshi played by Rika Matsumoto and Gou played by Daiki Yamashita serve as double heroes. Dr. Sakuragi, played by Nakamura, is a character who supports the adventures of Satoshi and Gou, who is studying Pokemon at the “Sakuragi Research Institute” director in Kutiba City, Can Tho. Koharu, who plays Hanazawa, is the daughter of Dr. Sakuragi, the same 10-year-old girl as Satoshi and Gou. Go is a childhood friend, and is nostalgic to the innocent Pokemon Wanpachi of the Institute. At the same time, the art board of “Sakuragi Research Institute”, where Satoshi and Go are the bases of the adventure, was also shown.

Nakamura, who has participated in “Pocket Monsters” in the past, commented, “I hope to deliver a new series that will keep everyone happy and excitement while chewing this happiness.” Hanazawa said, “When I started broadcasting the anime Pokemon, I was in the same age as Satoshi, and I was able to experience the excitement and excitement through Satoshi. I will play this series so that everyone can like it. ”Said his enthusiasm.

Comment from Junichi Nakamura (Dr. Sakuragi)
I had a big role called "N" before, but no way! Such! I never thought I could step into this “Pocket Monster” world again.
This time, Dr. Sakuragi, Pokemon.
N-kun is a strange person, but he has not lost his passion for Pokemon!
The amount of heat at the site is also high, and it is carefully recorded over the talk time.
I thought when I participated before, but it's really fun.
I hope that we can deliver a new series that will make every story fun and exciting while biting this happiness.

Comment by Kana Hanazawa (as Koharu)
I was surprised to hear that Pokemon's voice was played by regular members. And if you are not careful, joy and excitement are likely to increase.
When asked what Pokemon you want to meet, Yadon. I loved that poggy face and collected a lot of Pokémon cards. I want you to watch a story as soon as possible, but now that all the regions are set in the series, both that child and that child ... yeah! Pokémon who come to this child !? Uhaha, so don't miss it! Koharu is still crazy about Pokemon! I don't feel like that, so I think it's the first child to get close to the anime Pokemon. Surely those people and Koharu will be influenced by Satoshi-kun and Go-kun's love for Pokemon!
When the anime Pokemon broadcast started, I was in the same age as Satoshi, and I was able to experience excitement and excitement through Satoshi. I will do my best to make you love this series.

アニメ「ポケモン」新作でサクラギ博士役を中村悠一、その娘・コハル役は花澤香菜(コメントあり) - コミックナタリー

Charizard Enthusiast (Armed and Ready to Go)
Reaction score
Yeah, both this new series and Sword+Shield are being very oddly tight-lipped. It seems to be getting more in marketing nowadays from what I've seen and I'm pretty tired of it, too.
Well, at least with Sword and Shield, it somewhat makes sense why they're not revealing that much, considering the reactions to Sun and Moon's overabundant marketing. But I really don't understand why they're being so secretive with the anime. It's not like a trailer could spoil important stuff from the games or something, since, considering that it's gonna take place around the world, they'd probably have hours worth of material that is unrelated to Gen 8 (outside of things that have already been revealed, like Scorbunny, Yamper and the worst invention ever conceived Rotom Phone). So why not make a trailer focusing on the non-Galar portion of the series? Like Kanto... and Johto... and Kanto, again... and probably some more Kanto... and even more Kanto... oh, and let's not forget about Kanto (joking aside, I'm sure that they've got enough scenes for at least a teaser trailer, so give us one already, darn it!).

Lovely
Reaction score
I think after 20 years what actually sells merchandise is the wonder of the new region regardless of the media. And so there should be a maximum focus on the new region.
I play go every day and I'm sure it makes a lot of money for niantic and tpc, but I never bought merchandise because I had seen a pokemon in go. It's a really simple game to pass time, but it's basically you walking in a neighbourhood that never changes. Whether in the games or in the anime, I just want to discover the new region and then I will buy merchandize. I love kanto but it is a love that is 20 years old and doesn't make me wanna buy stuff.
After several years of visiting Pokemon Stores and checking online....I'm genuinely curious what the anime is selling. Almost all the merch is focused on the pokemon or the game characters. The closest merch I've seen about Ash is the Ash-hat Pikachus and the Pokemon Trainer figurine. I have not seen Misty, I have not seen Brock, I have not seen Gary, no Oak, no May, Dawn, Iris, or Serena unless it is their game character identities. The most highly promoted merch is one of the following: the cutest pokemon plush that year (like Alolan Vulpix), limited collectibles (i.e., Pikachu in different clothing), Eeveelutions, or whatever is the new theme of the store (i.e., Easter theme with pastel colorations and new releases of grass and fairy pokemon). Heck, I don't think Greninja or Charizard was ever promoted that much for plush merch - Froakie and Charmander receive much more attention - and Alolan Vulpix was promoted way before the Sun and Moon anime was even announced. Heck, Mew was hardly in the anime at all and Mew merch sells out.

Reaction score
After several years of visiting Pokemon Stores and checking online....I'm genuinely curious what the anime is selling. Almost all the merch is focused on the pokemon or the game characters. The closest merch I've seen about Ash is the Ash-hat Pikachus and the Pokemon Trainer figurine. I have not seen Misty, I have not seen Brock, I have not seen Gary, no Oak, no May, Dawn, Iris, or Serena unless it is their game character identities. The most highly promoted merch is one of the following: the cutest pokemon plush that year (like Alolan Vulpix), limited collectibles (i.e., Pikachu in different clothing), Eeveelutions, or whatever is the new theme of the store (i.e., Easter theme with pastel colorations and new releases of grass and fairy pokemon). Heck, I don't think Greninja or Charizard was ever promoted that much for plush merch - Froakie and Charmander receive much more attention - and Alolan Vulpix was promoted way before the Sun and Moon anime was even announced. Heck, Mew was hardly in the anime at all and Mew merch sells out.
the anime animates and gives a personality to the pokemon and then you want to buy them a lot more. the anime brings the region to a whole new life, it's not just about anime exclusive characters.

Always happy to help
Reaction score
Here's a thought, wonder if they'll bring up the GS ball when they visit Johto

My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
Satoshi has decided to return to Masara Town. However, he can't quite bring himelf to telling the others... In addition, the time for the Rocket Gang to part ways with Mimikkyu and the others is rapidly approaching.
I would just like to say I read this wrong at first and was under the impression Ash just went back to Pallet Town without telling anyone in Alola...I was like "wow, that's very rude of him" :confused:

This does have me wondering if there's a direct connection to the new series in that last episode. Since the "homebase" is in Kanto, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the new professor popped up then.

At least you tried...
Reaction score
From what I can tell there is a good amount of anime merch but it's pretty much all Japan-only. I've seen it on tumblr and personally saw some at Comic-con and a local market that had import stuff (I saw Jessie and James figures and 100% would have bought them if Meowth was there too).

Here's a thought, wonder if they'll bring up the GS ball when they visit Johto
It'd be amusing if they finally did something with that, but I suspect they won't.
Then again they've been breaking all the rules lately.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^ Speaking of the GS Ball...Despite the fact that they mention "all the Regions", I am not holding out hope that we'll see the Orange Islands, it would be super cool but I just can't see it happening. :(

At least you tried...
Reaction score
^ Speaking of the GS Ball...Despite the fact that they mention "all the Regions", I am not holding out hope that we'll see the Orange Islands, it would be super cool but I just can't see it happening. :(
Honestly until now I'd never even considered that possibility, and now I'm sort of sad it probably won't happen.

(I admit I actually really liked the OI arc, though at the time I think I remember it being unpopular for not being from the games?)

Last edited:
The Coolest Character in the Worst Series
Reaction score
That's because the Orange Islands are less of a region and more busy work...

Reaction score
Hoping for an animated trailer this sunday! (but like someone said, it'll probably be reserved for Sun & Moon's final episode).

Reaction score
the anime animates and gives a personality to the pokemon and then you want to buy them a lot more. the anime brings the region to a whole new life, it's not just about anime exclusive characters.
From what I can tell there is a good amount of anime merch but it's pretty much all Japan-only. I've seen it on tumblr and personally saw some at Comic-con and a local market that had import stuff (I saw Jessie and James figures and 100% would have bought them if Meowth was there too).
Both are right in this.

There is a good amount of anime "exclusive" merchandise, but it is mainly directed towards Japan.

However, the most important for the anime is promote the Pokemon merchandise in general.

Videogames do not help much to promote the sales of other goods in a franchise. So, the anime is extremely important for merchandise sales.

PS: It's also important to mention that Japan is still the main buyer of Pokemon merchandise.

Always happy to help
Reaction score
Just been reading this

Pokemon: Sun and Moon Anime Stuns with Latest Battle

That's probably why Pokemon: The Series, currently scheduled to premiere November 17th in Japan, is such a groundbreaking era of the series rebooting things by featuring every region in the franchise thus far instead of just the new region, Galar. Ash has already been a champion, so the scope of the anime has to change going forward.

Along with every region in the franchise, the new anime will have two protagonists. The new series will introduce Gou, designed by Pokemon character designer Ken Sugimori, who has a Scorbunny as his partner Pokemon and is also out to catch 'em all. So Ash won't be the only focus of the anime series going forward, and maybe might even be phasing out of the franchise in general now that he's achieved his goal of becoming champion.

Staff confirmed for the new series include Daiki Tomiyasu serving as chief director for OLM, Maki Odaira as series director, Kunihiko Yuyama as creative supervisor, Shoji Yonemura overseeing series construction, Shuhei Yasuda serving as character designer, Masafumi Mima as sound director, Yuki Hayashi as series composer, and Daiki Yamashita has been confirmed as the voice of Gou.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Just been reading this

Pokemon: Sun and Moon Anime Stuns with Latest Battle

That's probably why Pokemon: The Series, currently scheduled to premiere November 17th in Japan, is such a groundbreaking era of the series rebooting things by featuring every region in the franchise thus far instead of just the new region, Galar. Ash has already been a champion, so the scope of the anime has to change going forward.

Along with every region in the franchise, the new anime will have two protagonists. The new series will introduce Gou, designed by Pokemon character designer Ken Sugimori, who has a Scorbunny as his partner Pokemon and is also out to catch 'em all. So Ash won't be the only focus of the anime series going forward, and maybe might even be phasing out of the franchise in general now that he's achieved his goal of becoming champion.

Staff confirmed for the new series include Daiki Tomiyasu serving as chief director for OLM, Maki Odaira as series director, Kunihiko Yuyama as creative supervisor, Shoji Yonemura overseeing series construction, Shuhei Yasuda serving as character designer, Masafumi Mima as sound director, Yuki Hayashi as series composer, and Daiki Yamashita has been confirmed as the voice of Gou.
But didn't Ash state that becoming Champion is one step of becoming a Pokemon Master, or have the anime since thrown that out of the window? I guess we'll have to find out. However I am concerned that they won't showcase Galar to it's fullest, like a baby brother being overshadowed by his older siblings.