• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
You clearly missed the bold quotes. The description of Ash for the next series states a "certain encounter", the summary for SM146 states a Pokemon from his past appearing before him.

The only logical one would be Ho-oh.
Hadn't seen Ho-oh in the anime since AG, and is probably flying back to Kanto.

Something based on GF's latest interview.

Timeline is not important, it's the Regions
Regions is not important, it's the Pokemon
Pokemon is not important, it's the Merch
Merch is not important, it's the Money

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
It's going to be one big Nostalgia trip through the past six series with Galar as an extra bonus.

It'll be Ash going back to the past 7 Regions with Galar being saved till last. I hope Galar does get shown before then.

Last edited:
This, too, shall pass...
Reaction score
The evidence has been stacking up for a while, but the encounter thing finalises in my mind that this is not going to be the reboot many of us were fearing. Now I feel I can really get on with being excited :giggle:
Not only does a reboot seem incredibly unlikely at this point, this looks like it could end up being the most continuity heavy series since Johto ended.
*Ash has an encounter, likely with Ho-Oh, that's seemingly going to influence his goal in the new series (to "become the best battler").
*Showing old regions and Pokémon.
*Instead of a new name based off the latest game it's just "Pocket Monsters" again.
*Bringing back old Team Rocket jokes and discussion among their VA about bringing up their backstory more. (It's unlikely but it would be sweet if Meowth's story came full circle and he meets a Pokémon he gets into a relation with because they find his human traits interesting)

It's always best to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed when it comes to "hype cycle", but I have never been more curious about a new Pokémon series before. Whatever complaints people have about Sun/Moon, it left the status quo in shattered pieces on the floor.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
My only concern is that they would do little for Galar at all, and by the time they would, would instead be focusing on the Gen 9 Region.

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
If all regions are featured, I really hope the episode count is around 200 and not 140 like the more recent

This, too, shall pass...
Reaction score
I'm not sure episode count will be a concern; one huge advantage of the new series from a writer standpoint is that if it's not covering a single region they don't need to rush to get a storyline done so they can move Ash on to the next region in time. Tobias in particular feels a lot like "we only have a few episodes before we start the black and white series just get this league over with", for instance.

This is all theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if future series' will also be "Pocket Monsters" rather than something more specific.

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
Really am curious how long this gen can go on for. With this being a world-trip type of adventure, I could see this being a 4+ season series.
5 series would certainly be good, 3 to me would be short, especially if they want to give Galar some reasonable screen time

Reaction score
They could certainly extend the series with the gen9 region in 3 years and make it span longer than usual 3 years.

Reaction score
Gou is from Galar, this series will last three years or they'll write out Gou when Gen 9 comes out and continue it.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Gou is from Galar, this series will last three years or they'll write out Gou when Gen 9 comes out and continue it.
Or Gou is from Kanto who happens to have a Galar Pokemon. Similar to how Serena is from Kanto, even though she's the female player to Kalos

My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
It's going to be one big Nostalgia trip through the past six series with Galar as an extra bonus.
Man I sure hope so!

I've said it before, but I really think that if this show can find a way to appeal to both old and new fans, they'd really be hitting a home run. I'm not against new regions, new characters, or new Pokemon (I love them, in fact) but I've never understood why they don't revisit old regions, characters, or Pokemon that much. I understand why they aren't main characters anymore, but if they brought them back more often as guests, they'd be able to draw in older fans who haven't watch the series in a while, while also introducing them to people who are just getting into the series with the new characters.

Ho-Oh was my first thought as well, especially since Ash's description for this series talks about a certain encounter (which I also felt was about Ho-Oh). Regardless, it does sound like this series continues on from SM...big sigh of relief there for me!

Reaction score
Its possible Gamefreak realized they need more time now they are developing new generations on the Switch and we basically go from at least 3 years between generations to at least 4 years between generations. This allows them for more breakyears as well and maybe this is the reason TPCI has opted to go the all region route in the anime.

Administrator
Reaction score
Or Gou is from Kanto who happens to have a Galar Pokemon. Similar to how Serena is from Kanto, even though she's the female player to Kalos
Serena isn't from Kanto though. She went to a summer camp in Kanto when she was little, but I don't recall either the anime or the games stating that Serena was originally from a different region.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Serena isn't from Kanto though. She went to a summer camp in Kanto when she was little, but I don't recall either the anime or the games stating that Serena was originally from a different region.
I stopped watching Pokemon from DP till SM. So how would I know?

Last edited:
Prepare for over-used stock animation!
Reaction score
Praying we finally get something animated tomorrow!!! Even if it's just Satoshi standing with Pikachu I want to see how this artstyle looks in motion.

I stopped watching Pokemon from DP till SM. So how would I know?
By taking about ten seconds to look it up online? You really shouldn't make claims about something if you haven't even watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.