• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Watching season 1 in 2019 is so weird. Most of the time they are just standing stiff. Not saying OG Pokemon is bag but seeing it now is kinda cringe.
Try episodes that were storyboarded by Yuji Asada. Those have animation directors Akihiro Tamagawa and Masaaki Iwane under them and all three contributed the most expressive and snappy OS material.

Billie Eilish/Nina Dobrev Stan
Reaction score
Try episodes that were storyboarded by Yuji Asada. Those have animation directors Akihiro Tamagawa and Masaaki Iwane under them and all three contributed the most expressive and snappy OS material.
I mean I am comparing animation from what 97 to animation with new a format in 2019 so I guess that matters. Someone did mention to me recently that after Unova the anime became the same level as the movies so maybe I am spoiled from that

Reaction score
Yea I agree completely. Galar doesn't need three years of anime to get good promotion. I often feel like the novelty of the new region wears out after a year tbh. I mean I still want Ash to do the badge quest and I still think he will do it but he doesn't need to spend three years doing it.
Ash doesn't need to do the badge quest and there's not gonna be time for him to do it anyway without it feeling rushed. It'd basically be back to back gym battles with no journey to back them up or give them context.

A regional champion doesn't need to challenge gyms anymore.

Reaction score
Ash doesn't need to do the badge quest and there's not gonna be time for him to do it anyway without it feeling rushed. It'd basically be back to back gym battles with no journey to back them up or give them context.

There is literally no basis to any part of your post.

Reaction score
There is literally no basis to any part of your post.
Pokemon anime series usually have around 140 episodes, give or take.

Unlike past regions, Galar will be sharing screentime with seven other regions. There's not gonna be any time to flesh out Galar or give it proper focus.

And the people who are only interested in Galar will have no idea when the next Galar episode will be since it'll be all over the place.

Super Moderator
Reaction score

By that same logic, Ash didn't need to keep challenging Gyms after he defeated the Battle Frontier. It wasn't a League victory, but getting the chance to become a new Frontier Brain is a pretty huge deal too. Besides that, Ash loves to travel and battle against other trainers, so he'd still want to take part in Gym battles.

Whoever has the gold makes the rules...
Reaction score
According to the official description Ash is trying to become "the strongest battler". Leagues are where the best competition is, so avoiding them would be against his goal. I think we're still going to see the Galar league, if only because the Alola league feels almost intentionally set to a lower standard than previous ones, almost like easing Ash into winning them as part of his generally slow progression in the series.

Besides, I don't think most athletes/coaches retire after winning one regional tournament, especially a smaller one like Alola.

Reaction score
I mean he personally defeated Tapu Koko. I feel no reason to be invested in a badge quest anymore, it just feels doing it for the sake of just doing it. I would like if Ash practiced his battle skills in a different way than just challenging Gyms.

Whoever has the gold makes the rules...
Reaction score
I mean he personally defeated Tapu Koko. I feel no reason to be invested in a badge quest anymore, it just feels doing it for the sake of just doing it. I would like if Ash practiced his battle skills in a different way than just challenging Gyms.
I don't disagree with your general point--honestly, the Battle Frontier already made it hard for me to consider a badge quest that interesting (maybe it was a dub-only line but I think Scott claimed the Frontier Brains were second only to the Elite Four) but I suspect they're going to have him enter the Galar gyms to show them off, especially with his goal this series specifically being about battling and Galar having battles being like major sporting events in the game. I could be wrong of course.

Reaction score
I don't disagree with your general point--honestly, the Battle Frontier already made it hard for me to consider a badge quest that interesting (maybe it was a dub-only line but I think Scott claimed the Frontier Brains were second only to the Elite Four) but I suspect they're going to have him enter the Galar gyms to show them off, especially with his goal this series specifically being about battling and Galar having battles being like major sporting events in the game. I could be wrong of course.
Yeah. There has to be a point where Ash stops challenging Gyms, if its not now then definitely in the future. I just feel like its a good opportunity to stop it considering the premise of the series. Ash can you know, go to Unova and see N with Reshiram and just battle him or something. There are other options than just "gyms"...

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah. There has to be a point where Ash stops challenging Gyms, if its not now then definitely in the future. I just feel like its a good opportunity to stop it considering the premise of the series. Ash can you know, go to Unova and see N with Reshiram and just battle him or something. There are other options than just "gyms"...
I don't really see why there has to be a point where Ash stops challenging Gyms. He loves to battle, so he'd want to take part in other Gyms and Leagues. Winning the Alola League doesn't mean he can't or would want to enter another League. He can do more than just challenge Gyms, which may happen during this series, but I don't think that Gyms are worthless either, especially when Ash still wants to be a strong battler.

Reaction score
I doubt Ash will ignore the gyms when he heads to Galar, the kid loves to battle. Obviously in older regions he will need to find other venues to battle (E4, Battle Frontier, Champion, et), but it's not in his character not to not want to challenge tough opponents. Plus at some point, I can't say when, but Galar will get the focus it deserves. And Galar is all about gym battles. Galar gym leaders are probably way tougher than usual gym leaders and I can see a really amazing arc about the Galar league that focuses on endorsements and brutal competition. I think the badge quest for Galar will be a bit faster so they can focus on post-league battles too, E4 and the champion and such. Remember, this series will probably continue indefinitely so there's no real rush this time.

A sight for VenuSAUR eyes
Reaction score
Would be nice to see some gym challenges, even if it was just for fun

Reaction score
Ash getting Sobble looks extremely likely now. Its on Ash side (Usually an indication of which starter he gets).

Status
Not open for further replies.