• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The official Twitter has been posting a lot about random episodes from all of the previous sagas, maybe it means nothing or maybe it means we’ll get a lot of continuity? Who knows at this point.

I still want to see some dang animation already!!!

It did and XY barely had any call backs.

Using that as proof that old characters are returning is a big assumption.

Anyway, if they wanted to make it clear that old characters are returning, they would be a ton more references on the poster and not in calendars. The first assumption many fans had when they said we would be going to all the regions was that old characters would return. They know this and if it was a big theme for this series, they would be would marketing the hell out of it. The poster doesn't really do that. Piplup, Croagunk, and the Kanto trio are really the only ones that are illustrated in a way that you can say "Yeah, that might be Ash's, Dawn's, or Brock's".
To be fair, they aren't marketing the hell out of anything to do with the anime. And they don't want to make anything clear, they're perfectly happy to keep us in the dark until the 17th. We know nothing about the premise of the show. It took us this long to confirm that team rocket would appear. They're clearly being secretive, so saying that the fact we haven't seen older characters by now means they won't appear is another big assumption.

As for the XY special, I think it's irrelevant. The XY series took place in a new region so there was no reason for older characters to show up. The new series is a whole different story. One week before the series starts we are being shown a special detailing the adventures Ash has had in each region and all the people he's met. The new series will then see him return to each of those regions. How bizarre would it be for them to ignore the continuity they just went out of their way to remind us about? We're definitely seeing older character's, maybe as recurring cast members or maybe as one time cameos.

There are also some other merch which I can't post due to the Upload File Being too Large. It includes the Galar Starters, Kanto Starters, Pikachu, Pichu, Psyduck, Yamper, Wobbufet and Meowth.

To be fair, they aren't marketing the hell out of anything to do with the anime. And they don't want to make anything clear, they're perfectly happy to keep us in the dark until the 17th. We know nothing about the premise of the show. It took us this long to confirm that team rocket would appear. They're clearly being secretive, so saying that the fact we haven't seen older characters by now means they won't appear is another big assumption.

As for the XY special, I think it's irrelevant. The XY series took place in a new region so there was no reason for older characters to show up. The new series is a whole different story. One week before the series starts we are being shown a special detailing the adventures Ash has had in each region and all the people he's met. The new series will then see him return to each of those regions. How bizarre would it be for them to ignore the continuity they just went out of their way to remind us about? We're definitely seeing older character's, maybe as recurring cast members or maybe as one time cameos.

There is no point being secretive about old characters returning since it is something many fans assume will happen anyway. It doesn't make any sense IMO to create a poster with very little call backs if calls backs is supposed to be a major selling point for the next series.

It also wouldn't be bizarre if there were no call backs or cameos from old characters/events of the past since they have done that before with the Battle Frontier Arc years ago. They went through Kanto the second time with barely any references outside of Mt. Moon, Saffron City, and the Indigo Plateau. So yeah, it would very much be in character for them to ignore old characters or have a ton of references to the past.

There is no point being secretive about old characters returning since it is something many fans assume will happen anyway. It doesn't make any sense IMO to create a poster with very little call backs if calls backs is supposed to be a major selling point for the next series.

It also wouldn't be bizarre if there were no call backs or cameos from old characters/events of the past since they have done that before with the Battle Frontier Arc years ago. They went through Kanto the second time with barely any references outside of Mt. Moon, Saffron City, and the Indigo Plateau. So yeah, it would very much be in character for them to ignore old characters or have a ton of references to the past.
They've been secretive about returning characters in the past with Brock, and they just did it again with Team Rocket. One reason older characters might not be being advertised is that they won't appear early in the series. Brock and Misty weren't advertised at the start of the SM series but closer to when they actually showed up. Also it wouldn't be a selling point but rather a surprise.

For the poster I think you're underestimating the callbacks. Most Pokemon featured are direct references to older series. Croagunk+Piplup, Kanto and Unova starters, every Kalos Pokemon on the poster including Greninja, Dedene, Noibat, Goomy and Talonflame, Snorlax, Mamoswine and I can keep going on. I think it would be accurate to say that the poster is meant to invoke memories of the older series rather than show the current condition of each Pokemon, hence the unevolved Mons. Still, them trying to make you remember earlier series does bode well for references to them in the new series.

I'm glad you brought up Battle Frontier. Most people forget that Misty actually did join them for a while in that series. Also, Ash caught no new Pokemon in that series except for Aipom, so we actually did get to see his older Pokemon then. I can see a similar scenario here where he could use reserves at the start, catch a Farfetch'd, and evolve it in Galar. As for other characters, Misty and Brock were both accounted for and there weren't a lot of other important characters (non-cods) in Kanto. As for the region itself, I'm confident the new series will do a better job showcasing it judging by what we've seen so far. I think the writers know the value of nostalgia more now than they did back then. In any case, Battle Frontier, being the only past example of Ash traveling through a region for the second time sees him traveling with both old companions for that region and using his old Pokemon.

Last edited:
I'd advise against building your hopes up for seeing past companions or Pokemon. It is certainly not a big aspect of the series judging from the poster (why are all the starters unevolved but Charizard and Greninja, the latter lacking its form?).

I don't find that likely when they're promoting the Gigantamax Eevee that can't evolve. It'd also be a bit silly to use Sylveon in Galar-related art if a new Eeveelution existed.

I suspect that they don't have a good design for a new Eeveelution.
Are you still desperately clinging to false delusions of a reboot even after SM145 pretty much debunked that? There's literally a special that is there a week prior dedicated to recapping his journeys, why do you think they went with that premise for the episode instead of another one like for instance, resolving the Mohn plot thread?

Also, TRio was revealed quite late so I won't count out past characters at all.
It did and XY barely had any call backs.

Using that as proof that old characters are returning is a big assumption.
I don't recall XY being set in all the previous regions though. Or have a literal first episode dedicated to what might appear to be Pikachu backstory.

And like @Beatsy Ray stated above me, they're only drip feeding the minimum amount of information every week for this series and keeping fans in the dark intentionally, something they never did before. So I wouldn't use the lack of promotion as an argument at all especially with respect to the previous post because I expect past characters to be promoted closer to their respective episodes, unless you're upset about it not being a reboot as well...?

I'm guessing the Mr. Mime is Mimey

Really hope Blastoise belongs to Gary and Scyther belongs to Tracey and the Charizard is Ash's

Can't say I'm too hopeful as Gary and Tracey seem to have been largely forgotten about

There are also some other merch which I can't post due to the Upload File Being too Large. It includes the Galar Starters, Kanto Starters, Pikachu, Pichu, Psyduck, Yamper, Wobbufet and Meowth.

I'm starting to think we'll get that Pikachu backstory and Psyduck probably Misty returning again?

I think that it's possible that none of Ash's old companions return.

Lol.

Yeah, anything's possible at this point. Because we still know the bare minimum. Let's be fair: there's a greater possibility of older characters returning in this series because it takes place in all different regions. Does that mean it's guaranteed? No, but I don't see anyone suggesting that. It's not fair to compare XY to this; in all honesty, at this point, it's not fair to compare this series to any one before it because it's so different from anything they've done before.

The summary for this week's episode promises "an important announcement regarding the new anime series." I'm not sure what they classify as "important" but I guess it's worth noting they haven't described any of the latest news at the end of each episode that way over the past few weeks. So, worth it or not, I'm definitely interested!

The summary for this week's episode promises "an important announcement regarding the new anime series." I'm not sure what they classify as "important" but I guess it's worth noting they haven't described any of the latest news at the end of each episode that way over the past few weeks. So, worth it or not, I'm definitely interested!
Remember the very first hint about the anime back in early September was touted as "world premiere announcement"? Yeah, it turned out to be an announcement of an announcement.

I'm not falling for more bait and switches. I expect they'll keep drip feeding the bare minimum until that special episode.

That's unlikely. That's most likely a Team Yell, pokemon.

I don't know. I'm not even sure Team Yell will be in the Show....

Think about it. The way they are in the Games is a copy & paste of what the Show did to Team Skull (with Marnie in place of Guzma). And while I full realize the Show does things different with the villain teams than the Games, we don't need the exact same story for the secon time in the a row (thought I would say that about other repeated plotlines...).

Besides, Team Yell doesn't look like much. I'm really hoping there's another, secret villain team in SwSh...

I would, however, be cool with Marnie being an antagonistic rival like Paul, Harley or Ursala. We could always use some rivals who are jerks :) (Ash-tachii and the rivals get along waaayy too well part of the time. Heck, several of them have ended up being honorary members...)

I don't know. I'm not even sure Team Yell will be in the Show....

Think about it. The way they are in the Games is a copy & paste of what the Show did to Team Skull (with Marnie in place of Guzma). And while I full realize the Show does things different with the villain teams than the Games, we don't need the exact same story for the secon time in the a row (thought I would say that about other repeated plotlines...).

Besides, Team Yell doesn't look like much. I'm really hoping there's another, secret villain team in SwSh...

I would, however, be cool with Marnie being an antagonistic rival like Paul, Harley or Ursala. We could always use some rivals who are jerks :) (Ash-tachii and the rivals get along waaayy too well part of the time. Heck, several of them have ended up being honorary members...)

Marnie is so different from Guzma. She's not even part of Team Yell. There's a completely new dynamic altogether that can be explored through the incorporation of her and Team Yell.

I do feel like it is possible that they are both not in the anime though. It seems like the anime is steering away from the games with all the (seemingly) original anime/movie characters thus far.

I highly doubt that they'll cut out the SW/SH characters completely, that's just wasting pre-made assets. Making new characters (Sakuragi and Koharu) for Ash to meet in Kanto is one thing but I suspect when Ash & Gou eventually reach Galar then the anime will introduce Prof. Magnolia, Sonia, Leon and all the others. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom