• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antagonizing members at the Clemens Point camp
Reaction score
Aye, there's the rub.

The problem with going back to old regions is that the villain teams' stories are over, so whatcha gonna do for antgonism?

I for one am hoping the TRio are good as they are in SM or XY. (I prefer they be even better, but that might be asking too much). Hopefully some more Team Rocket members can show up too.

There's Team Yell, but they look even more pathetic than Team Skull. On a related note, I'm scared they'd be a copy and paste of what the show JUST did to TS...
(unless, of course, there's another villain in SwSh to be revealed later)

And, of course, the Show making its own bad guys to keep Ash-tachii busy. Let's just hope they're some good ones this time instead of just more evil COTDs...
To be fair, Team Skull and Team Yell are not your typical 'teams'. One is a close knit group of outcasts and the loser types who strive for attention by trying to be nuisances. The other is a toxic (and possibly self-appointed) fanclub.

I hope they keep building up on Team Rocket. They've been far too much in the background and shadowed through most of the anime. And as for anime original villains, why not? There was Hunter J and she was as real threat, though they should tone down future villains as bit and make them operate within anime rules. For example, Hunter J had Salamence spam Hyper Beam without the Pokemon needing to rest or tiring out from overusing as powerful attack. Making people overpowered just for the a of plot is stupid.

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'm still rather disappointed at the lack of information around the anime series and the games, we don't know a lot at present

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'm still rather disappointed at the lack of information around the anime series and the games, we don't know a lot at present
I read in an interview related to the games they were doing that on purpose (hiding and drip feed information) so people could be surprised and enjoy, maybe they're applying the same to the anime...

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
I read in an interview related to the games they were doing that on purpose (hiding and drip feed information) so people could be surprised and enjoy, maybe they're applying the same to the anime...
Interesting, well the lack of information certainly has me curious and excited, lets just hope the end result leaves it justified

Reaction score
Interesting, well the lack of information certainly has me curious and excited, lets just hope the end result leaves it justified
Well, it has me just curious. I mean, if they gave more info people would really be looking forward to see it when it airs. But with them not giving any info they make me feel more like "well, I won't care to watch it live, I'll rather visit Bulbapedia some time after the episode airs to see what has actually happened".

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't mind it that much, especially for the games. I definitely remember people complaining that they revealed too much for both the past two generations. I'm pretty sure that they revealed over half of the new Pokemon before the games came out. We know a decent amount of game information at least, but not an overwhelming amount either. They're basically giving fans enough information to where we'd want more. The only things I'd want them to reveal at this point are the starter evolutions. I wouldn't be upset if they revealed more version exclusives or Galarian forms instead, but I'm okay with waiting another couple of weeks before finding out a lot more about the games. As much as I like waking up to more Pokemon news, I also feel like this method of slowly providing information is a better way to create buzz instead of revealing practically the entire game before the release date.

The minimal information on the anime is a bit more frustrating by comparison mainly because it's harder to see why they're keeping so much of it close to the vest at the moment. It is possible that they don't want to reveal too much from Sword/Shield featured in the new series before the games come out, but it can make it more frustrating in a sense. Stuff like the announcement of an announcement, waiting a month for a teaser poster and then having a few details thrown out there until SM ends doesn't help matters either. Despite that, I don't think it's that bad or disappointing for the anime. We'll find out more about it sooner rather than later. While it sounds like we'll get some information during the next couple of weeks, I'm also okay with just waiting until the series premieres to learn more about it if it does come to that.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Holy shit, it's actually a reboot. AThis series will have no connection to ash's past adventures meaning everything we have seen before was a waste of time. It also won't have miyazki. So we won't have any past musical scores as well

This is a downgrade on every level.

Last edited:
Fire Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
I thought it was a reboot based on the trailer. I'm not one that follows the anime in general, so I don't have a clue on how it'll be received, but I doubt it'll straight out fail.

It's kind of funny if Ash will start with both Pikachu and all the Kanto starters as one shot in the trailer seem to imply. In the case of a reboot, it was obvious that he'd get them again (expecially Charmander), but I wouldn't expect that he'd have them already at the start, though it might be just a wrong impression.

I do wonder why Yamper/Scorbunny are present in Kanto (the former more likely then the second). And given that it's a reboot, I do think that they plan this to go on for a long time, and not focus on each region just for a few episodes as some believed.

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Gou and Koharu will get a Kanto starter as well

I'm not too keen on Ash getting all the starters again

Reaction score
From Serebii:

Serebii said:
The first trailer has been released for Pokémon, the new anime series due to air November 15th 2019. With this we also got the first episode title and summary. This episode is set as a flashback to before Ash and Pikachu met on their journey and features a certain Pichu in Kanto.
This might just be a "remember how everything started?" kind of episode, even though most of the times I have seen something like that was with pilot episodes and not first episodes.

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
From Serebii:

This might just be a "remember how everything started?" kind of episode, even though most of the times I have seen something like that was with pilot episodes and not first episodes.
Thanks for letting me know, added it to the episode page I created

怪しいことも何一つない。
Reaction score
OMG look at my babies :love:

But also I’m surprised so many of you got reboot from that! My feeling just from the trailer was of flashback. Especially as there’s a scene of Satoshi smashing his clock with Pikachu already in bed with him!!

Alongside the summary, that Pichu sound very Ikue Ohtani which means baby’s finally getting backstory!

Very exciting. Love the art style, feels almost Kanto-ish?

Reaction score
Doesn’t look like a reboot to me... it seems a bit more like how Ash reacts when someone gets to choose their starter Pokémon (ie May). He’s back in Kanto, met Go and that’s how the adventure starts. Vito-ing all his previous adventures doesn’t make sense to me. The poster has his Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charizard at Oaks lab representing Kanto.

Though it does seem 50:50 if it’s a reboot or not, my money is currently on not.

Mainly because I really hope not.

Pikachu back story? I am shook.

Reaction score
Art and animation wise, it's super slick and clean and I love it.

There's just something about Shuhei Yasuda's character designs that helps makes things feel so alive.

Reboot wise, I honestly don't think it is one (for now) because if it was then my interest of watching would be going down rapdily fast. There's just something about them dumping years worth of not just continuity but also many memorable characters and Ash's entire team that doesn't sit well at me, at all.

That and it would make what Olivia said to Ash in the recent S&M episode totally worthless junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.