• Saph continues his journey through Galar...or does he? Watch here to see if he ever realizes he hasn't taken down the Starting Soon screen.
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

PREVIEW: Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
I am quite curious as to what the story is between Gou and Mew

Reaction score
Actually upon watching the preview again, Pikachu is actually in the scene where Ash throws the clock across the room, so this can't be a flashback. I expect the start of the first episode to play out exactly like OS001 as more of an homage rather than a flashback. He has some reason to go to Oak's lab that morning but oversleeps yet again.

Last edited:
My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
I was also shocked to see the trailer this morning; wasn't expecting that at all. At this point, I was fully prepared to have to wait until the special on the 10th.

But I did get serious movie vibes from watching that trailer! The animation looks fantastic. And I was delighted to see Ash pull a very SM-like face when he saw the starters! I was really hoping they'd keep some of that character from the previous series and combine it with new elements for this one. Based on the trailer, it seems that's what they're going for.

The fact that we're actually getting a Pikachu flashback episode is kind of amazing. Like I said, that's something I personally never thought about, but once the possibility was thrown out there, I was really into it. I live for characterization and backstory, and it's never really struck me that we didn't have much on Pikachu, who is the most prominent Pokemon in the cast. So it actually gives me a lot of confidence that the writers are choosing to explore that, because it is something different and interesting. To me, that means this series could really be a nice refresh but still be rooted in continuity.

That being said, I still don't believe this is a reboot. When I first watched the trailer, and saw the scene of Ash throwing the alarm clock with Pikachu next to him, I just assumed they were doing a callback to the first episode, which is actually quite a nice touch. Ash first receiving Pikachu came across to me as a flashback element, whether it's through a dream, him reminding Pikachu, or him telling Gou about when he got his first Pokemon.

We still don't know too much about the actual series plotwise, like how the traveling is going to work, but maybe that's what they want, at least for now. The trailer itself looked really nice and satisfied my desire to see the characters in action. I honestly keep getting more and more excited for this series with everything they show us, so it looks like all that torturous waiting in the beginning might have been worth it!

Megalomaniacal toaster on a keyboard
Reaction score
Wonder how many episodes it'll take before the animation quality dips again.

First few episodes are usually done well since they have a few more months of work put into them

Reaction score
That makes no sense. Kiawe is not travelling the world, he pretty much declared that he'll be doing the Island Pilgrimage and working his way to the position of an Island Kahuna.
Olivia talked to travel the world to both of them. She said to Kiawe: If you aim to become an Island Kahuna, its best to learn from the world as much as possible, which for me suggests Kiawe is also gonna travel the world at some point.

Megalomaniacal toaster on a keyboard
Reaction score
The Kahuna are supposed to be worldly and experienced, so if you never leave the region, you're going to make a fool of yourself when someone challenges you with a pokemon you've never seen before

Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
I'm really hoping that Gou might catch a Poliwag and it will evolve during the series

The line needs some focus

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
At this point, I'm waiting on the second episode to see how everything starts to build from there. First episode looks like it'll be a Kanto fest, which was expected, but still annoying to see. As such, I'll be waiting to see what Ash's plans will be after this recapping, backstory and whatever gets done.

Reaction score
My thoughts on the new series:

I like the new intro and I can't wait to hear all the new versions of it. I hope they bring back older singers to do the covers (Rica Matsumoto, Fumie Akiyoshi, Naomi Tamura etc.).
Pikachu's backstory promises to be a great and rare bit of world building.
I really like Koharu.
Those battles look awesome, especially Nidoking (was that Earthquake)?
Where the heck did they get that Lugia and why are they riding it so causally?

Also something I noticed. The scene with the Kanto starters actually take place at the the Sakuragi Institute. It's the same room that people theorized there would be a teleportation machine. That would explain why Ash's Kanto Mon weren't shown because they weren't even in the same city.
800px-Sakuragi_Institute_interior_concept_art.png

This makes me wonder how Prof Oak plays into the story, since we did hear him talking to Gou about Mew. Perhaps Gou sees Mew and goes to ask Oak about it and meets Ash at his lab who just so happens to have business of his own at the lab.

怪しいことも何一つない。
Reaction score
The reboot possibility is also odd because Pikachu would be with him too early, but that could be explained by saying that Pikachu inspected his potential trainer and got tired waiting for him to wake up. He zapped him, rushed back to his ball and then they were properly introduced... after Ash realized that he was out of other options.
o_O:unsure:

Silktree, are you familiar with Occam's Razor?

Reaction score
If I'm reading the scene right, Gou is offered one the Kanto starters but refuses because he wants his first Pokemon to be Mew. Later on he has his fateful encounter with Scorbunny and decides he wants to catch it. I wonder if it's actually a wild Pokemon when we see it battle with Pikachu. If Gou doesn't have any Pokemon at this point then he would probably need Ash's help to catch it.

怪しいことも何一つない。
Reaction score
This is going to be my last comment on this continuity 'debate' (as far as I can tell all but 2 users are now in agreement that it isn't a reboot), but it's worth pointing out that in the poster, the starters seen in Kanto are Fushigidane, Zenigame and Lizardon......... in front of Satoshi's house.

Reaction score
The trailer looks... interesting?

Pikachu's past is something I never thought we'd get but I'm open to it. Ash's face looks really strange. Gou probably is the most promising thing so far.

Also lol at Scorbunny booting Pikachu in the face. Guess he really wants that mascot position. :p

Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
This is going to be my last comment on this continuity 'debate' (as far as I can tell all but 2 users are now in agreement that it isn't a reboot), but it's worth pointing out that in the poster, the starters seen in Kanto are Fushigidane, Zenigame and Lizardon......... in front of Satoshi's house.

View attachment 127280
Seeing Psyduck and Butterfree also brings back some memories

Reaction score
The pic is too small for me to zoom in and identify the second Butterfree's colors but what if it's pink? :lapras:
What if Ash's Butterfree is coming back? :lapras:
Sadly, the second Butterfree's colors look normal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.