• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charizard Enthusiast (Taking a break from this)
Reaction score
Okay, so I just saw the trailer and all I have to say is... OH MY ARCEUS, YES! SO MUCH YES!!!!!

The backgrounds look gorgeous and breathtaking! The designs, for the most part, are wonderful (finally, Pikachu and Meowth look normal again)! And the animation... my Arceus that animation! Words can't describe how amazing I think it is! The battles look so smooth and fluid, yet also action-packed and intense and quite explosive (and, dare I say, even epic)! Now, it did have some moments that seemed a little rough around the edges, but, overall, I adore it and hope that this is how the entire series will look like in motion. The funny faces are back (obviously, since they've been in the anime since the start), but this time it seems like they're less... outlandish and hyperbolic than Sun & Moon's (which is a plus for me, since I couldn't (still can't and never will) stand those stupid faces). We saw some call-backs and flashbacks to previous series (here's hopping that they're not exclusive to just the OG series). We saw some battling and using some amazing-looking moves. We saw some sweet moments like Yamper licking Bulbasaur, which was just so darn cute. We saw Corviknight in action alongside Garchomp, which, I don't you, but I'm really hopeful that they're both Ash's (which I know that it's kind of unrealistic, considering that most footage is most likely from the first few episodes of the series, but hey, I can dream that Gible will evolve and be relevant again). And it's basically confirmed (though, let's be honest, all of us already knew this) that the first episode is a Pikachu flashback.

They did it! This trailer finally did it! I'm finally excited about this series! Now, don't get me wrong, I was interested in it before (and I was gonna watch the first few episodes before I formed an opinion about it, regardless), but now... now I'm actually hyped! Though I'm still not 100% sold on it. Some of the designs, while a huge improvement over Sun & Moon in my eyes, are still too... cartoonish? for my tastes. And while I just love everything that they've shown regarding it, I do have to wonder if the animation will be consistently good great amazing outstanding throughout the series' entire run (like in XY) or if it's gonna get a major downgrade and become more choppy and wooden as the series progresses (like in Sun & Moon). Hopefully it's the former, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And I'm still curious about how the premise is gonna work (and I'm slightly concerned that we're gonna spend too much time in Kanto and not enough in the other regions, but, again, I guess we'll just have to wait and see).

But, overall, I'm stupid happy about the new series. The trailer was exceptional and I just... just... just, give me the anime already. I want it! I want it all! Give it to me, Japan!!! My body is ready (for it)!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The art style is pretty similar to Sun & Moon, though.
triggered
No it is not; It looks MUCH better; and The Artstyle doesn't suck anywhere near as much; Ash looks MUCH less Dopey, and more like a Mix of XY & SM, More towards XY!!

now I'm actually hyped! Though I'm still not 100% sold on it. Some of the designs, while a huge improvement over Sun & Moon in my eyes, are still too... cartoonish? for my tastes.
Yeah. . . But At least It doesn't look anywhere Near as Rubbery & squash-And-Stretch as One Piece as it did during Pokemon the Series: Sun & Moon

Last edited:
Reaction score
this time it seems like they're less... outlandish and hyperbolic than Sun & Moon's (which is a plus for me, since I couldn't (still can't and never will) stand those stupid faces)
Thank you; finally Someone else who hates how stupid they looked back in S&M!!

The Prince is Back!
Reaction score
triggered
No it is not; It looks MUCH better; and The Artstyle doesn't suck anywhere near as much; Ash looks MUCH less Dopey, and more like a Mix of XY & SM, More towards XY!!

and the designs look nowhere n-e-a-r as dopey as in Sun & Moon. . .
Thank you; finally Someone else who hates how stupid they looked back in S&M!!
Could you calm down a little, please?

This, too, shall pass...
Reaction score
But Pichu can only evolve through friendship. I guess they'll probably just ignore that.
I've always theorized that friendship evolutions in the wild, at least for the baby/child Pokémon like Pichu, occur through the bond between the Pokémon and their parents--in this case Kangaskhan may be Pichu's adopted mother and serves the same role.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could you calm down a little, please?
Look. . . I Don't like Sun & Moon anime; I've hated it since the reveal of the designs in the Corocoro magazine, and hated it since it began. . . and I always Will hate it(And No, Ash winning the league, doesn't help me to hate it less, just the opposite, I hate it more, because such a victory should've been done in Kalos, NOT IN ALOLA). . . So far; Pokemon the Series: Sword & Shield(don't bother trying to correct me, I'm calling it what I want to call it, so don't waste your breath or effort, trying to explain what it is or isn't; Because I don't wanna hear it, or see it) looks so far, Much Less Dopey, or Anywhere near as cartoony as One Piece & SM, and It looks more like the XY/Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You, that I've loved from day 1 of Gen VI

The Prince is Back!
Reaction score
Look. . . I Don't like Sun & Moon anime; I've hated it since the reveal of the designs in the Corocoro magazine, and hated it since it began. . . and I always Will hate it(And No, Ash winning the league, doesn't help me to hate it less, just the opposite, I hate it more, because such a victory should've been done in Kalos, NOT IN ALOLA). . . So far; Pokemon the Series: Sword & Shield(don't bother trying to correct me, I'm calling it what I want to call it, so don't waste your breath or effort, trying to explain what it is or isn't; Because I don't wanna hear it, or see it) looks so far, Much Less Dopey, or Anywhere near as cartoony as One Piece & SM, and It looks more like the XY/Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You, that I've loved from day 1 of Gen VI
You have the right to have your own opinions, but still, could you please be a bit less agressive?

A Happy Politoed
Reaction score
Hopefully they'll both be competitive in battle, neither wanting to give up

Reaction score
I'm afraid that the English dubbers will name it "Pokemon: The Series: Sword and Shield" rather than simply "Pokemon: The Series" or something else...

Reaction score
There are leaks of Sobble and Grookey's Middle Evolutions, and I don't know what to say lmao

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
Can't help but wonder what will happen to Rotom Dex, I know a Rotom Phone is featured but Gou is the one holding it
YES! Bye bye Cilan 2.0 Rotom-Dex.
Also from the way Koharu is talking about Gou, lemme guess, she has a crush on him?
Considering she's talking about her dad, I hope she has no crush on him.
First few episodes are usually done well since they have a few more months of work put into them
Not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.