• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They changed it because the formula was stale.

And lol at you saying this will flop without seeing it. Honestly, it seems like some of you are upset because they aren't doing DP 2.0 with a Galar paint job.
"They changed the formula because it was stale"
Remind us all again how Sun and moon was successful and was able to revitalise viewer interest. Oh wait, it didn't. It's ratings are far disastrous. So you don't really have much of an argument there

Why shouldn't they complain? The show had a successful formula going for it for the past 20 years, then they change suddenly for sun and moon. This alienated most of its audience, and when sun and moon ended up being a failure, what do they do? They do something completely different again. Imagine a Pokemon fan watching since hoenn. Sinnoh showed a progression from hoenn, so they were able to follow the show. But where is the progression here? It's literally just garbage. The original staff and composers are not even on the show anymore. This isn't even the same show that we grew up with. It's garbage and this is going to flop hard. End of discussion
Remind us all again how Sun and moon was successful and was able to revitalise viewer interest. Oh wait, it didn't. It's ratings are far disastrous. So you don't really have much of an argument there
Don't be so negative! How can you judge something if you havent seen anything about it yet? Maybe this will be amazing, you can't judge a book by its cover.

Maybe to you, but in the ratings department.... well.... that's another story.

The ratings had more to do with the time slot change then the show itself. Besides the company doesn't care that much about the ratings.

Pokemon is pretty stable. They don't have to play it safe anymore and keep doing the same thing like they had done from OS-XY.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't they complain? The show had a successful formula going for it for the past 20 years, then they change suddenly for sun and moon.
I can not talk for others, but after 20 years stuck with the same formula, I'm thirty for something new. This anime has gotten stale by the end of the Johto saga. They spiced it up a bit by introducing new characters and new goals for them, but besides that, it was more or less the same. Sun and Moon freshed it up a bit, which is the right idea. This anime really needs to bring in new concepts. They can not just go back to basics. If this is the case, we will get a very boring show by the numbers.

1. Ash will leave all his Pokémon behind except Pikachu.
  2. He will have two or three companions. A boy that will cook for him and a girl that does girly stuff.
  3. TR tries to get Pikachu
  4. Ash loses the league.
This anime has really potential in been really something new like S&M was.

Last edited:
That actually makes a bit of sense if this anime and especially the new character are a bit more Pokemon Go inspired. I might have mentioned this before back on the old forum, but I work in the Children's Section of a Large Chain Book retailer here in the U.S. We sell all kinds of books and toys and games in my section, and have a decent amount of Pokemon-related items. Whenever I see a kid in the Pokemon section or buying something Pokemon related, I like to ask their favorite Pokemon. Most of the time it doesn't go beyond that, but sometimes they'll start talking about the cards, or the anime, or Pokemon Go. Only 2-3 times have I had one mention the main series games. From my perspective, there are a lot more kids whose only real knowledge of the games is Pokemon Go, because mobile games are way more accessible, simply because they are on smartphones, and smartphones are everywhere. Now things might be a lot different in Japan, and maybe other places as well, I just haven't seen enough Pokemon fans who are kids, but from my perspective, this is probably the first time the anime will be able to really relate to their demographic. It feels kind of weird to us as the anime has had the same formula all our lives, but a change was likely bound to happen.

We also still know virtually nothing, only this new boy and his goals (even if the poster hadn't been leaked, this is all we would have had to begin with). Maybe more details next week will help us clear some more things up, but honestly, I don't think we'll have much new stuff to go off of till the series actually starts. I think they intend to be just as quiet as they are with the games. Hoping I'm wrong though and we can actually get another big news thing on this series.

With the amount of info we have now, I'll probably watch the first few episodes to see if this series is for me. Very rarely do I watch the full series, just episodes here and there. The dynamic could be interesting between these two, but I still have the tiniest bit of hope that they have some third character just waiting to be revealed, or at least a mechanic of revolving temporary third characters. C'mon developers, you did a good job showing the kids what they know in Pokemon for this anime, now make sure you don't alienate half the audience with lack of some sort of female character.

Also glad I decided not to stay awake for this. But my brain did wake m up to check on it. So I'm gonna go back to sleep now.

The ratings had more to do with the time slot change then the show itself. Besides the company doesn't care that much about the ratings.

Pokemon is pretty stable. They don't have to play it safe anymore and keep doing the same thing that had done from OS-XY.

Again, the west didn't care about the show as well. Even if you're using the argument for the time slot change, it doesn't change the fact that sun and moon was received LESS favourably than XY.

Well, I'm not going to let this spoil my hopes for SwSh after waiting 10 years for a British Pokemon Region, I'm having my just desserts with this anime series.

Again, the west didn't care about the show as well. Even if you're using the argument for the time slot change, it doesn't change the fact that sun and moon was received LESS favourably than XY.

Pokemon is Japanese first and foremost. It's huge over there. We of the west are the extras.

What are you actually trying to say?
You should stop watching pokemon?
Go ahead, nobody will stop you. Hating everything new isn't fun either and I am wondering why you still consider yourself being a fan of the series

The West doesn't matter. Pokemon is Japanese first and foremost.

Besides XY lost viewers over time as well (just like Sun and Moon)

The West doesn't matter. Pokemon is Japanese first and foremost.

Besides XY lost viewers over time as well (just like Sun and Moon)

"The west doesn't matter". You do know how wrong that statement is, right? Especially as it doesn't work with the Pokemon Company's philosophy? As well, you do know that more people brought let's go Pikachu in the United states in 2 weeks than Japan did in its entire lifetime. You do know that Pokemon video game sales are higher in US and even Europe than it is in Japan. You know that culmative viewers of the anime outside of Japan is greater than it is in Japan. Pokemon GO is also bigger in the US than it is in Japan. Same goes for everything. I mean, if you're going to make an argument, try to say something that is actually true

A qoute from Anton Ego from Ratatouille

"There are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends.!

"The west doesn't matter". You do know how wrong that statement is, right? Especially as it doesn't work with the Pokemon Company's philosophy? As well, you do know that more people brought let's go Pikachu in the United states in 2 weeks than Japan did in its entire lifetime. You do know that Pokemon video game sales are higher in US and even Europe than it is in Japan. You know that culmative viewers of the anime outside of Japan is greater than it is in Japan. Pokemon GO is also bigger in the US than it is in Japan. Same goes for everything. I mean, if you're going to make an argument, try to say something that is actually true

The West doesn't matter when it comes to the show. You think the anime is what drives sales in the US?

Again, this is frustration on my part. Japan loves Diamond and pearl. The anime and the games, and I don't see why they couldn't make a series that would mirror that show. It would be a huge hit. Alas, the new series probably won't be. Oh well.

I haven't even seen footage yet and I already think the show sounds way more interesting than the Sun/Moon anime. Sun and Moon tried to do a slice of life style. There was no way it could have been like previous series because the region was way too small to make him travel around. And this new anime sounds like its going to be focused on Adventure again, so I doubt its going to be similar.

I like the idea of doing an all regions thing. The problem with Kanto through Kalos sagas is that there was so much filler because there are very few locations and events in the games to base episodes around. I'm hoping this is going to be like a more fleshed out Pokemon Generations. I really enjoyed those episodes and I'm looking forward to seeing familiar locations redone.

While I do think it looks like this series is definitely trying to promote Pokémon Masters rather than Pokémon Sword & Shield, I'm going to echo the view of some others here and say that I agree that it is a bit dramatic to assume the worst right now. Time will tell.

I went through this with the Sun & Moon series, and I was definitely in the crowd that was initially very skeptical of the whole "Ash goes to school for no apparent reason" plot. But in the end, I didn't think it was as bad as I was afraid it'd be, in fact one of the things I liked about the Sun & Moon series was that it used its full cast to its advantage. Each classmate had their own character development plot, and I felt like the series, as cheesy as it could be at times, was actually pretty relatable for a lot of the kids who may have been watching it. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to moving to a new school & wanting to impress our new peers. We've all felt a little bit like Mallow sometimes, anxious about disappointing the ones we love. And so on.

That said, I'm definitely bummed out that it looks like there won't be a new PokeGirl in this new series, although a part of me is hoping that this just means that instead of having a main female protagonist, all or some of the past PokeGirls will return in the episodes involving their home regions. The reappearance of Brock & Misty showed that the new staff is open to the idea, and I know a lot of people (including myself) have been clamoring for Serena to return in some form or another for quite some time. Throw in a reappearance of Dawn during the Sinnoh episodes to help promote the Gen IV remakes, and then maybe have Gloria appear in the Galar episodes as a challenger taking on the Galar League, and maybe I & some others who are not too thrilled so far with this announcement will be watching at least some of the more interesting episodes.

And one other thing: If I had to take a guess, the name "Go" combined with the fact that he owns a Scorbunny suggests that he'll be pretty much a carbon copy of Ash in terms of personality. And in the past series, I definitely related far more to Brock, Cilan, & Clemont than I did to Ash, because I myself am very introverted & if I were a Pokémon Trainer I would probably have a much more calm, strategy-based approach to battling.

I would have preferred an anime without Ash...
Let's hope to see something new and with more mature contents as I didn't like Sun and Moon anime much.

Again, this is frustration on my part. Japan loves Diamond and pearl. The anime and the games, and I don't see why they couldn't make a series that would mirror that show. It would be a huge hit. Alas, it probably won't be. Oh well.
The reasoning is that (from GF) they hate staying in the same formula as that would only become stale, which is why they always love to surprise us with something refreshing and new, regardless to how many people they'll lose of find.

Believe me, I was just like you for SwSh to be like DP is what it had for it's soul, and that's since 2008 might I add, but it is quite clear since May's Press Conference that those days are over. Times have changed, mobiles are all the rage now.

Again, this is frustration on my part. Japan loves Diamond and pearl. The anime and the games, and I don't see why they couldn't make a series that would mirror that show. It would be a huge hit. Alas, the new series probably won't be. Oh well.
XY wasn't that different than DP, and some would say that it was the natural progression unlike BW. It wasn't a "huge hit" despite that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom