• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if this series presents a recurring female rival in place of a female companion?
Like Marnie?

Just an observation on this new character, while in theory the goal of meeting Mew seems somewhat interesting, it also seems fairly shallow, and if achieved will lead to a "now what" type moment. Also, if he truly catches "all" or many Pokemon in "Go" style, this will fundamentally go against most everything the anime has taught us over its 20+ year span, and be very against Ash's personality as well. Will he bond with them? Will he train them? Is he training them just enough to travel around and meet Mew? I honestly have no interest at all in this new character based on what has been presented so far.

And if they are going to have two protags, why on earth would one not be female? I just don't understand. The female leads are certainly what drew me to the anime in every series other than SM (where nothing drew me to the anime). I think this is true for many others as well. I just don't understand why they would take a route like this, although most everything about this announcement disappoints me (with the sole exception being that there will likely be travel/adventure), this is by an enormous margin the single most disappointing factor.

Anyone who thinks old protagonists are returning are needlessly getting their hopes up, only to have them shattered for the millionth time. At this point, it appears as if the only thing they are retaining from their 22 year history (19 years of which were filled with outstanding characters, moments, etc) is boring, old Ash. For me personally, that means losing everything I loved about this show, while only retaining a character I tolerated because everything around him was so interesting, and now pairing him with a character with a very odd goal, based on a game I despise, and for the first time ever, in an era I would have never thought to even be worried about this, not giving us a female in the main cast.

Well I was going to try to not overreact, but just too many emotions right now, so I got the overreaction out and hopefully now I can ignore this until it actually happens and we know what its actually like.

Well tbh, the Female Companions are what dragged the six series down the gutter. Perhaps they're doing this to spice things up. I mean, we're the ones to talk. Back in the old days, most characters in a show or form of media were mostly male anyway. Thomas and Friends (before Big World Big Adventures), Winnie the Pooh, Thunderbirds, Wind in the Willows, need I mention more?

What if this series presents a recurring female rival in place of a female companion?

Hmmm......That could be an interesting change up.

And coming back to my idea that all of Ash's other companions could have forgotton Ash, what if this new series takes place years after? With Ash travelling to all the other regions and they do have a time skip, this would make perfect sense as Ash would have to try and get the companions to remember him?

Or, unless this is an alternate universe, then the old companions could not exist, like with Brock and Misty & Variety and Sorrel

Hmmm......That could be an interesting change up.

And coming back to my idea that all of Ash's other companions could have forgotton Ash, what if this new series takes place years after? With Ash travelling to all the other regions and they do have a time skip, this would make perfect sense as Ash would have to try and get the companions to remember him?

Or, unless this is an alternate universe, then the old companions could not exist, like with Brock and Misty & Variety and Sorrel

How can that work when the bio on Ash for this series states that he is ten?

How can that work when the bio on Ash for this series states that he is ten?

I worded it wrong. So: AG took place 13 years ago, so couldn't that raise the possibility that May would have forgotten Ash by now? Brock and Misty, on the other hand, are too important and never forgotten Ash. For May, Dawn, Iris, and Cilan: It would be very they would have no clue who Ash was until Ash comes up to them and remind them: Hey. I still exist.

I worded it wrong. So: AG took place 13 years ago, so couldn't that raise the possibility that May would have forgotten Ash by now? Brock and Misty, on the other hand, are too important and never forgotten Ash. For May, Dawn, Iris, and Cilan: It would be very they would have no clue who Ash was until Ash comes up to them and remind them: Hey. I still exist.

That still doesn't make sense since time in the anime is not equal to time passed out of universe.

Part of me thinks that Go might be a beginner from Pallet and Ash is tasked with accompanying him on his journey which is possible but Scorbunny as a starter puts a damper on the theory

That still doesn't make sense since time in the anime is not equal to time passed out of universe.

We could think each region as a "month" and then that's ok.

Part of me thinks that Go might be a beginner from Pallet and Ash is tasked with accompanying him on his journey which is possible but Scorbunny as a starter puts a damper on the theory

The anime could be set mainly on Galar (ash focus) with ocasional travels to another regions (go focus).

Ash would start his journey with Go through Galar before travelling to the other Regions. If the Gen 4 Remake is coming out next year, then Sinnoh will be where they will head next.

"New TV anime, Pocket Monsters. A story that takes place all over the Pokemon world. This time, there's two main characters. Satoshi (Ash: "I'll definitely become a Pokemon Master!) and one more: Gou (Gou: "My dream is to catch every Pokemon!"). His partner is the new Pokemon: Scorbunny."... Translation from one of the users on Serebii.

"New TV anime, Pocket Monsters. A story that takes place all over the Pokemon world. This time, there's two main characters. Satoshi (Ash: "I'll definitely become a Pokemon Master!) and one more: Gou (Gou: "My dream is to catch every Pokemon!"). His partner is the new Pokemon: Scorbunny."... Translation from one of the users on Serebii.
We're talking about two Ash's here, that he might as well have a mirror. Go's goals maybe to catch Mew and all Pokemon worldwide, but that still sounds like Ash. One was enough, but now there are two of them? How is this going to work on helping the anime?

Regarding the gender debate...

In my opinion, a female lead is important for the Pokemon anime because the franchise is for both boys and girls and the anime is mostly aimed at children. While a series can work well with two boys as the main cast, I believe a lot little girls might feel left out if Ash and Go really are the sole main characters. Adults can look past these things and enjoy a series for what it is, but the target demographic here is children and I think something like this can affect them.

Do keep in mind that the target demographic for shows like My Little Pony is girls so comparing such shows to Pokemon is not quite right. Comparisons should be made with other series and franchises that are specifically made for both boys and girls. Well, this isn't the end of the world and I'm sure plenty of girls can still enjoy the show. I'll just be very disappointed if there is no female lead as I strongly believe this is one of the cases where both genders should be present in the main cast.

I will give the anime a try, but I'm not sure if I will find it interesting enough to follow it. I lost interest in Sun & Moon and stopped watching it at some point. I'm getting similar vibes from the new series so it might not be for me. I hope the people who are excited for the new series will enjoy it.

We're talking about two Ash's here, that he might as well have a mirror. Go's goals maybe to catch Mew and all Pokemon worldwide, but that still sounds like Ash. One was enough, but now there are two of them? How is this going to work on helping the anime?
What? Ash's goal was never to capture every Pokemon, only to become a Pokemon Master. Maybe the anime had hinted at it very early on but it was completely dropped. Ash prefers to focus on bonding with a smaller number of Pokemon and help them overcome their problems.

I really like that they emphasize that Ash ''wants to become the strongest trainer''. That's a more concrete goal than becoming a Pokemon Master to work with imo. With the emphasis on becoming stronger, this gives me the impression the next series will be more battle focused, which is awesome.

If the relationship between Ash and Go is anything close to the relationship of Gon and Killua, then this series might become one of my favorites. Their interactions could work similar with Ash being the energetic one and Go being the analytic and calm person.

I don't think that's happening until after Gen 4 is remade, and I think that a Gen 5 remake will happen in Gen 9 at the earliest.
Naturally, and since each year will be focused on a different Region, probably making this new series longer, then it would make sense to market over it. There's no doubt that there would be a pause to promote the new Gens.

Gen 4's Remake is no doubt coming out next year with the Sinnoh merchandising Pokeshopper has pointed out.

2019: Pokemon Season 1 - Galar
2020: Pokemon Season 2 - Sinnoh
2021: Pokemon Season 3 - Johto
2022: Pokemon Season 4 - Gen 9 Region
2023: Pokemon Season 5 - Unova
2024: Pokemon Season 6 - Alola
2025: Pokemon Season 7 - Gen 10 Region
2026: Pokemon Season 8 - Kalos
2027: Pokemon Season 9 - Kanto
2028: Pokemon Season 10 - Gen 11 Region
2029: Pokemon Season 11 - Hoenn

Last edited: