• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ash challenges the Galar league, I hope either Marnie or Gloria is the main league rival we meet throughout the series. I don't think we've had a major female rival for Ash since Bianca, and having one that's also in the games would be fantastic.

If Ash challenges the Galar league, I hope either Marnie or Gloria is the main league rival we meet throughout the series. I don't think we've had a major female rival for Ash since Bianca, and having one that's also in the games would be fantastic.
Gloria is more companion material than Marnie.

Been able to sleep on my thoughts a bit more, and I am going to try to be cautiously optimistic. I really do like the idea of traveling around everywhere based anime, and I can get down with Gou's goals, especially if they are for something research-related. I really do hope they would introduce a female companion later in the series, just to give the young girl watchers of the anime (half of the show's target demographic), a girl to look up to.

I am hoping they do focus on Galar first. This might not be the main series game centered anime anymore, but the games that are immediately coming out before the start of this series are Sword and Shield. They have to see some advertisement.

Looking forward to some more info, and hoping for a trailer sometime soon so we can see this in motion.

I don't know how anyone can declare this series "a failure"or "better/worse than SM" when we still know next to nothing about it. The only thing that was revealed today was Gou's name and goal, and that hardly tells us how exactly this series is going to play out.

I will say that I like that Gou has a more interesting goal than past male companions. Brock, Cilan, and Clemont had "goals", but they were pretty loosely defined, and for the most part, I feel like they just ended up standing around more often than not, with the exception of when their signature "gags" came into play. Kiawe and Sophocles didn't necessarily have super defined goals either, but SM was so different from past series that it's harder to compare there. Do I think Gou will actually capture all of the Pokemon, including Mew? I'm not positive, but it sure seems to be a goal that will get him more involved in the grand scheme of things.

They're definitely playing things more close to the vest this time around. I was expecting to see more of a trailer than a teaser (nothing too crazy, just 30 seconds or something) but I likely would've been a bit more hyped up if the poster and key art hadn't leaked beforehand. I'm not mad that it did, the four week wait was crazy. I'm just glad it seems that information will come a bit more steadily now.

The trailer states that this time they will have a "double protagonist", which refers to Ash and Go.

There's always a possibility that a female companion can join in later in the series, though. So we'll have to wait and see

That doesn't necessarily confirm that there won't be a female cast member though. It could be a case similar to DP where Ash and Go are effectively co-protagonists, so it still comes off as a big assumption more than anything else to me, especially when people are claiming that it is confirmed that there won't be a female character in the main cast.

I should point out the only times they have ever intentionally withheld the reveal of a main cast member for a new series was in the case of returning characters. Brock was withheld in DP and Ash in BW. They understand the value of surprising the audience with returning cast members. If there was another new travelling companion, she would have definitely been featured in the trailer.

Not necessarily. The trailer we got here was basically just the poster. They also withheld Ash for the first DP poster and Brock wasn't revealed until the third one. Just because they have only done it for returning characters before doesn't mean that they wouldn't do something similar with brand new characters too, especially when I'm not sure if there would be much value in surprising the audience with Ash or Brock in the case of DP.

Shinji Miyazaki is out of the series as composer which is a shame. I guess doing the main series music and 3 movies was getting too much for him since he's in his 60s. Yuki Hayashi seems like a good fit though.

I am excited that Shoji Yonemura will be the head writer! His scripts are quite good; second best to Tomioka.

I didn't realize that Shoji Yonemura is the head writer for this series. That is pretty cool. I love I Choose You. I only took a quick glance at his work in the main series, but he wrote some really good episodes for XY and SM, some of which are my favorites in their respective series. So that's a pretty promising sign for the series as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if that makes it more likely for them to follow AU Ash in this series. I still don't really see much of an advantage in rebooting the anime.

Ash has yet to go defend of Orange Islands champion title though

Has no one done the island trials and earned the right in the past two decades?

Ash is still 10 in the anime. It’s likely the Ash only went through the Orange Islands a couple of months ago in anime time.

The new series is going to have 2 Main Characters ranther than just Ash, meaning that a Female Companion can still join them for each Region.

Brock, Cilan, and Clemont had "goals", but they were pretty loosely defined, and for the most part
This reminds me! Years ago, I saw someone on these forums say that Cilan and Iris should've joined Ash in Kalos, the former because he's a connoisseur, and the latter because she'd hate Fairy-types.

Ash is still 10 in the anime. It’s likely the Ash only went through the Orange Islands a couple of months ago in anime time.
It's hilarious when you think about the specifics. A bunch of the back to back episodes must have taken place on the same day.

I bet Butterfree was released the morning after the Ghost of Maiden's Peak, and Ash had his first battle with Sabrina a few hours later, and his rematch with her maybe half a day after. Or in Hoenn, that Snorlax episode one morning, Pikachu got amensia and join team rocket that afternoon, and they arrived in Lilycove that evening.

Petition to remove comments claiming unconfirmed rumors or personal inferences as official facts please, I'm getting tired of this happening every single time.

...Anyway, I personally don't see how this potentially being done to promote mobile games is a big deal for some? I mean do you think the writers had complete artistic freedom in past series or what? It was always about promoting the games and just because it could be a different line of games this time doesn't mean The Pokémon Company suddenly got any more or any less greedy. It's the same exact business as usual.

Do we really need a female lead, or does the anime really need one? In my eyes, a story can also work with just two guys. I'm always so baffled that so many shows are perfectly okay in having just girls as the main center, but if it is a show about boys, it turns into a huge issue for many.
Because all-female casts are often targeted only at women (unless it's ecchi or whatever), but Pokémon tends to be targeted at both boys and girls. I mean I'm open to the idea of dual male protagonists, but it does feel weird if there's no girls in the main cast, at least for this show.

The ironic thing about this is that college aged Japanese males and females are the largest demographic for the games - not children. Go figure, huh?
Do you have a source on that?

I didn't realize that Shoji Yonemura is the head writer for this series. That is pretty cool. I love I Choose You. I only took a quick glance at his work in the main series, but he wrote some really good episodes for XY and SM, some of which are my favorites in their respective series. So that's a pretty promising sign for the series as far as I'm concerned.
I don't want to judge a head writer for their work as an episodic writer but dang, I just checked out his episodes and have some high hopes.

He's done some of my favorite comedy episodes like the Wayward Wobbuffet or the DP ones with Gible. I also noticed a lot of his episodes feature flashbacks/backstories for both main characters (Jessie eating snow, Clemont catching Bunnelby, James' treasure) and COTDs (the little kid with his late grandpa's Chesnaught, the physics professor from BW). And even when not, the mere concept of his episodes tend to be quite memorable (An evil wild Togepi? A "rogue" officer Jenny? Pikachu catching Meowth?)

Maybe I'm fanboying now but I'm just impressed by how he has some "grounded" episodes with good emotion and backstory, while he also has done several "out of the box" episodes that stick out among fillers.

By the way, TV Tokyo has a general Pokemon page for all the series up to SM. The new series has a separate URL: "Pocketmonster" rather than Pokemon.
There's also a dedicated site for Sun & Moon. In fact the dedicated sites for XY, BW, DP and even AG are still up as well. So nothing new here, really.

Why did I know a lot of people will be disappointed by the "big reveal" today? Given though there was a leak on Friday. Still, would that have changed all that much? I give it the next leak will be somewhere from Wednesday to Friday.
How quickly somethings is written off in this day and age... Luckily I'm a "well, I want to have a good look myself before deciding" person and I may just go in more skeptical depending on previous information. Asides from that, after 10, 15 episodes I arranged myself with Sun and Moon fully as well and enjoyed most of it in the end.
What I really want from the Anime, a growing continuity of Ash's story before wrapping it up and start with something new will never happen anyway (I mean it does seem they went from "keep him at 10 and reset him every series" to "not just reset him but make him younger as well each series" as it seems but that is yet to be confirmed, which will be approximately one and a half month from now on).

Anime SeriesProtagonistsCompanions
OSAshMisty and Brock
AGAshMay, Max and Brock
DPAshDawn and Brock
BWAshIris and Cilan
XYAshSerena, Clemont and Bonnie
SMAshLillie, Mallow, Lana, Kiawe and Sophocles
PMAsh and Go??? (Gloria for Galar, Returning Companions for each Region)

Last edited:
Pretty surprised that we may have only 2 main characters here. I'm already having some low expectations...

Some thoughts I have:
  • The series will not start in Galar, but in Kanto.
    • Satoshi will only travel to Galar after a while (I'm expecting February) and he will do the badge quest there when he does get there.
    • However, Galar will still be introduced (see next point).
  • From now till February, I'm expecting there to be a tournament arc where important trainers from everywhere show up in Kanto.
    • This is where the Galar promo can come in as important trainers from Galar should appear in the tournament as well.
    • We will revisit many of the older characters and their stories may be retold here for the new generation.
  • There will not be dedicated years to the various regions and hence no badge quest in the other regions.
    • Satoshi and Gou will travel to this and that region for specific activities in one-off episodes or mini arcs at the very most.
Now a question I have is whether Satoshi will have any of the Galar starter. The only Galar starter I could see him having was Scorbunny and it went to Gou. His signature pokemon will always be Pikachu, perhaps it may indeed be better off for the starters to be associated with other trainers. I think Bede/Marnie with Sobble and Hop/Gloria with Grookey will be nice.

English name for Gou? Gower? :wynaut:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom