• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just feel Gloria should at least compete in contests, so to bring the balance of the Female Companions to a nice round number of 4 with May, Dawn and Serena.

I'm ready to just write off the new series. I haven't learned much about it but it looks like another dumpster fire.

As long as they bring back the concept of recurring background characters from X&Y's Showcases I will be content.

Not necessarily what I want, but I think that Gloria might be a Pokémon Musician, with Grookey.
Grookey could be a percussionist with his stick and Gloria might play the bagpipes. I'm not even joking.

Not necessarily what I want, but I think that Gloria might be a Pokémon Musician, with Grookey.
Grookey could be a percussionist with his stick and Gloria might play the bagpipes. I'm not even joking.
I'd be down for Gloria aiming to be a music star conducting a bunch of musical pokemon and aiming to play at the stadiums before important Gym matches. ;)

I think that if we are getting a new female companion she would more likely be an anime original character like Gou is.

The point is that Pokémon contests are a good goal only when it is not given to girl companions exclusively.
This. Contests, in spite of being a competition for both genders, was treated as the female companion’s answer to Ash’s badge quest without them even entertaining the prospect that the female companion could have any other goal.
You do realize they only did it twice right? Then they DID entertain the prospect of a female companion having another goal. They tried something different with Iris, and it didn't work. As for Serena, she herself is very girly so I'm willing to believe that she actually enjoyed showcases, not that she was forced into them by society.

Key takeaway: The problem isn't that females can't have good goals. The problem is that traveling companions can't have good goals. And the boys fared much worse. Brock traveled through 4 regions with the vague goal of top breeder, and never took any steps to achieve that goal. The only reason contests worked as well as they did is because they function the exact same as gyms; that is, there are facilities you must travel to in towns across the region to face a given challenge. They would need to come up with a new competition that functioned this exact same way in order to give another travelling companion something legitimate to do.

Last edited:
It happened three times and Serena a fictional character without a mind of her own, everything she did is because they wrote her that way. We are also discussing about this because an actual protagonistic goal actually came up and they gave it to a (sort of confirmed, i'm still holding desperate hope for a non binary person) boy.

You do realize they only did it twice right? Then they DID entertain the prospect of a female companion having another goal. They tried something different with Iris, and it didn't work. As for Serena, she herself is very girly so I'm willing to believe that she actually enjoyed showcases, not that she was forced into them by society.

Key takeaway: The problem isn't that females can't have good goals. The problem is that traveling companions can't have good goals. And the boys fared much worse. Brock traveled through 4 regions with the vague goal of top breeder, and never took any steps to achieve that goal. The only reason contests worked as well as they did is because they function the exact same as gyms; that is, there are facilities you must travel to in towns across the region to face a given challenge. They would need to come up with a new competition that functioned this exact same way in order to give another travelling companion something legitimate to do.
They could only do that twice because Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh were regions in close proximity. Contests were a competition that were local to that section of the Pokémon world. Unova, Kalos and Alola were established to be further away and thus had their own cultures. Unova had no kind of alternate competition for Iris to be a part of and Kalos was just sloppy with the Pokémon Showcases, not only introducing them so far in that Serena was wandering around aimlessly for 47 episodes before they even gave her a goal but making the concept basically sexist by only allowing girls to compete. Point being, so long as they have to assign the girls to a specific event tied to a location they’re going to end up limited in how the female can develop or basically have no goal should that region lack a side event.

I think that if we are getting a new female companion she would more likely be an anime original character like Gou is.

Perhaps we'll find out next week. But if they are going to bring back old Female Companions for each Region, they might as well have a Game exclusive character like Gloria for Galar.

contest can also be removed from concepts like beauty and cuteness. there could be pokemon music contests, pokemon sport contests.

following detective pikachu's idea we could have a female journalist companion, or a female detective companion, like, possibilities are There. And another male companion can do beauty contests.

This is a list of how much focus I think that each region will get, from greatest to least:
Kanto
Galar
Sinnoh
Johto
Unova
Alola
Kalos
Hoenn

-So this is indeed a Go-inspired series. Niantic is already smelling that royalties. :wynaut: I just hope they don't go all out with the concept, it would be weird to suddenly see trainers belonging to a team, carrying many egg incubators, trading Pokémon for species candy and raiding major legendaries. (However, I fully expect raids to be important as they appear in both SWSH and Go). Maybe we should talk about that instead of gender issues.
-Ash's goal is still very vague, but from what it appears it looks like a better idea than going to a school to learn about sports and pottery. It seems like it will follow the SM concept of thinking outside the gyms box though.
-Gou's goal is interesting, as it gives underused Pokémon a chance to shine and confirms that sooner or later all Pokémon will appear (even Porygon!). Him having a team in rotation would be interesting too.
-The Kanto building reminds me of the Pewter Museum, I didn't even know that Celadon University was a thing.

Galar
Sinnoh
Johto
(Gen 9)
Unova
Kalos
Hoenn
(Gen 10)
Alola
Kanto
(Gen 11)

Since they'll probably won't do Kanto till it's 30th Anniversary.

Last edited:
Here's a thought. If the new series actually was a reboot, or even a continuation of M20, why is the new art style seemingly based on Sun and Moon's?

Ash_SM.png EFo9kHDUUAAp2bL.jpg
The art appears to be an updated version of SM, in the same way that XY's art style was an updated version of BW. But M20's art style was very close to XY, so wouldn't a continuation of M20 have the same style, or at least a more refined version of it? Not here. They went back to the SM design and updated that one. I'm feeling more hopeful for a proper continuation now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom