• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just has a strange thought based on both the Japanese Trainer for SwSh showcasing Camp, and LGPE, since the new series will be taking influences on the mobile games of Go and Masters...

Gou with Scorbunny would get an Eevee
Ash with Pikachu would get a Sobble
Gloria with Grookey would get a Morpeko

It's a long shot, but it's fun the guess anyway.

Last edited:
On the topic of Gou, I'm getting the feeling that his goal of "catching every Pokemon" and ultimately Mew is the writers attempting to create another permanent 10-year-old with an impossible to achieve dream, that can exist for all eternity. Probably catching Mew is his version of becoming a Pokemon master, or even winning a Pokemon league. He will probably get close many times, but will never quite get it. Or he WILL catch it in 20 years time, but even then he won't have caught all the Pokemon so his story can continue. Basically, expect him to stick around for a while.

Actually, hold on minute. This character is starting to seem like a reset version of Ash, starting at square one with a highly ambitious dream. But Ash is still here. Is it possible that Ash will actually accomplish his dream of becoming a Pokemon master, at which point he will retire and Gou will take over the series as main protagonist? That's probably a stretch, but if you've watched DBZ you might know what I'm getting at.

On the topic of Gou, I'm getting the feeling that his goal of "catching every Pokemon" and ultimately Mew is the writers attempting to create another permanent 10-year-old with an impossible to achieve dream, that can exist for all eternity. Probably catching Mew is his version of becoming a Pokemon master, or even winning a Pokemon league. He will probably get close many times, but will never quite get it. Or he WILL catch it in 20 years time, but even then he won't have caught all the Pokemon so his story can continue. Basically, expect him to stick around for a while.

Actually, hold on minute. This character is starting to seem like a reset version of Ash, starting at square one with a highly ambitious dream. But Ash is still here. Is it possible that Ash will actually accomplish his dream of becoming a Pokemon master, at which point he will retire and Gou will take over the series as main protagonist? That's probably a stretch, but if you've watched DBZ you might know what I'm getting at.
I do indeed. Seems like this series will probably be the last for Ash, but the beginning of Gou, as if the main console games will end and mobile will take it's place. But that's depending on the ratings and reception.

Last edited:
I do indeed. Seems like this series will probably be the last for Ash, but the beginning of Gou, as if the main console games will end and mobile will take it's place. But that's depending on the ratings and reception.
but the series hasn't even started yet and besides ash needs to be a pokemon master

I think that it's a pretty big assumption that Go will be around for a long time. It isn't impossible, but even with his goal in mind, it seems like a bit much to think that he'll be around past this series based on what little we know right now.

Beasty Ray said:

It didn't really work for DBZ when they tried to replace Goku, so that might not be the best example. I also can't really see them slowly phasing Ash out of the anime. Admittedly, that would make more sense than starting a new series without him, but I think he's still too iconic and well established in the anime for Ash to be replaced.

It didn't really work for DBZ when they tried to replace Goku, so that might not be the best example. I also can't really see them slowly phasing Ash out of the anime. Admittedly, that would make more sense than starting a new series without him, but I think he's still too iconic and well established in the anime for Ash to be replaced.
Yeah, that last part is a was huge "what if". I really hope that won't happen. But with such a vague and ambitious goal as "catching all Pokemon", it really feels like they're trying to keep Gou around for a while. In the same way Ash's undefined goal of Pokemon Master means it's unlikely he'll leave the series.

Last edited:
I only ask for the female companion to be revealed soon. It would be nice if it's someone new and not just the old companions showing up to fill that spot.

This was originally huge then I realized I could say everything in a much shorter post by focusing on the main ideas. :bulbaWave:

Gou being such a "obvious protagonist" as you point out is quite interesting.

In some ways I think Ash has reached the point where him continuing to do badge quests and enter leagues is getting harder and harder to justify now that he won a league--if he doesn't go after the Champion's League the best he can do in any series is tread water which I think will be uninteresting for viewers and the writers themselves--same reason after Goku won earth's biggest tournament they stopped building story arcs around it.
They could use the next series to have him win the Champion's League (or that plot gets G/S balled but he beats Leon and it's basically the same). Then they could retire him and make Gou the new main character--I think his goal actually works much better for a never-ending series than Ash's league challenges since there will always be new Pokémon and it won't have the same feeling of zero progress six league failures did. Even with only 40 new Pokémon each series you can make three seasons of that when you factor in the "just for fun episodes, ones showing the Team or other game characters, ones for developing Gou and his Pokémon or anyone traveling with him.

Even if Ash wins the Champion League or defeats Leon they could still keep him around to maintain the show's two faces (him and Pikachu), but change his role so they don't need to "reset" him.
Battling Excellence is probably only part of being a Master. I think you could actually get a lot of interesting stories out of showing what else a Master needs to do. One obvious idea is resolving conflicts between humans and Pokémon. They could also reverse how the show usually did things and put the focus on the villain team with the gym leaders appearing for other reasons (maybe we could see them battle "character of the day" challengers and fans could wonder which Leaders would win or lose?).

I think the most interesting idea would be to focus on one aspect that "masters" often have in real world careers with such a descriptor; teaching. Each series would use one of the game main characters as the new "traveler" with Ash as a mentor--his thinks passing down the lessons he learned is a vital step to becoming a full Master (he was willing to help train James' Cacnea, remember, so I think he'd be down for it). After a "year" of traveling alongside this young hopeful and watching them participate in their regional Pokémon league he can part with them to help a new young trainer, leaving them and himself both wiser for the experience.
Let's look at what could be done with this:
*We could get a long-term recurring "mentor" character. Such characters are not uncommon and a number became very popular (Iroh in Avatar, for instance).
*They don't need to reset him or Pikachu to keep tension this way. Wouldn't it be satisfying to see how over these many years he progressed from the kid who needed a more experienced trainer to bail them out from the crisis to the person doing the bailing? Obviously our other protagonist should have an important role in the crisis as well, of course.
Even for the young new watchers who didn't see him develop it can be fun to see a mentor character who mostly sticks to advice and minor help suddenly breaking out the big guns during a crisis, and this could incentivize them to watch older episodes as well to see how his adventures went.
*League outcomes could be really "up in the air"--there doesn't need to be a sense of progression anymore and we could have real nail biters here. Also potential for some great episodes. Maybe one of Ash's students gets knocked out early (16, sounds familiar?) and Ash helps them get over the disappointment, telling them about his loss in the Indigo League, but how he kept trying over and over and over again, and unlike when a lot of mentors in fiction give this type of "I was in the same place once" speech we saw it, we saw him develop from that first loss where he fell into a funk to an eventual champion.
*We could get a girl main character going on a badge quest--we still haven't seen that in the show.

This is just a thought experiment, of course.

Interesting that his new design is a amalgamation to AU Ash, M22, LGPE, Masters and less extent, SwSh (Promoting Go, LG and Masters more than SwSh). Still, I do not see how having two male protagonists with similar personalities are going to work for the series, and I'm very concerned that the two would be fighting and arguing with each other a lot of the time. At least having a Female Companion helps to balance things out in such situations, and a scenario without one would only make it all as repetitive and as tiresome as the past five series formulas in just a couple of episode. Maybe they are trying a new approach. Maybe they will surprise us with new ways since that's what TPCi and GF want to do. Only their surprises are the equivalent to a Delibirds Present. Perhaps this time they're wanting to make the series more into a boys shows due to how in ratings, more boys are watching the series than girls or something, but that's only back-peddling decades of progress with having both boy and girl characters. I hope at least they do have recurring female companions with them on their journeys, especially in Galar. Hopefully they will with the calendar. But until Sunday, we're just as lost as when GF made the Dexit cuts.

Last edited:
I'm very bummed out we didn't get anything new in terms of revealing story/characters/etc, but I guess it's not their fault the poster was leaked...

On the one hand I'm thrilled it seems like they're going with a co-star approach and I truly do believe that focusing just on two characters instead of the clusterfuck that was Sun&Moon's six can definitely lend itself to stronger writing. On the other hand I'm not super thrilled at both main characters being boys. Yeah there could still technically be a third main character who is a girl but, unless they're saving her for a huge reveal for whatever reason, she would most likely be the wet blanket of the group like Takeshi was in Diamond&Pearl (the poor guy couldn't even get on the first few posters for that series...) I suppose, if the continuity is still in-tact, old companions can fill in the gaps, but that's not the same as having a brand new character whose story we can follow.

Has it been confirmed to be a reboot or the same continuity? In my opinion it would be very silly to make a focus of the series revisiting old locations and decide that's the best time to ditch any sense of continuity, but I guess if they can do it with I Choose You! anything is possible...

As for Shinji Miyazaki stepping down from the series...I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me sad. His contributions to the franchise have been huge and the background music has been about the one consistently good thing in each series thus far. I can think of several standout tracks from every saga, both rearrangements of the game tunes and brand-new pieces, and it's really helped define the franchise. That being said, I am fond of the music playing in the trailer and it sounds like Yuki Hayashi has some serious credits on his resume so I'm going in with high hopes.

I do wonder if the new series will use old background music-- obviously the ship has sailed on OS-DP music but what about after that? There are plenty of tracks from Isshu, Kalos, and Alola to use when those regions are visited, and with I Choose You! and Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution remixing a bunch of Kanto pieces those could be used too. Plus there's some from Johto in Everyone's Story. But would licensing get in the way? And if it didn't (I genuinely don't know how it works), would they even want to? I'm not too familiar with Yuki Hayashi's work but from what I have heard it is noticeably different from Shinji Miyazaki's work. Would they want to mix the two, even if they're allowed? And if they stick with completely new stuff, will Yuki Hayashi remix some older stuff? I'm sure game music will be covered but what about original compositions? Could he remix the Rocket trio's motto theme, for instance? What about Tears After the Cloudy Weather? Will older vocal songs still be used?

I do hope this means we finally finally finally get a comprehensive OST release for Best Wishes, XY, and Sun&Moon. Especially if those soundtracks aren't used in the show any more.

tumblr_pykgqskOcG1vi16kro1_1280.jpg
To break this huge wall of text up-- some have noticed similarities to Everyone's Story's art style so Kiana Mai on twitter drew concept art for the Rocket trio's outfits from that movie coming to the series. I think it would be great! Go follow her on twitter if you don't already she posts fantastic Rocket fanart.

Finally, regarding Satoshi-- I'm still a firm believer that the only way the show would ever consider dropping him is if Rica Matsumoto decided to leave. However-- if she did decide to leave, would it make sense to let the team know at the beginning of a new series so they have a few years to write out the character and start thinking about how to re-tool the franchise after the fact? Maybe renew her contract for a final three years? I honestly truly do not know how contracts work for voice actors of this show and I could be spouting a bunch of nonsense here. However-- the best way for the show to end Satoshi's journey would be to have one final series of hm traveling around and visiting previous locations in some kind of "champion's league". Maybe the sudden focus on old regions has less to do with the success of Go and Masters and more to do with the idea of this being Satoshi's swan song...?

I'm not saying I truly think Satoshi is going anywhere after this series. Just that, from everything we know about the series and assuming it's not a reboot these are the circumstances that I think would work best for his eventual departure (if it ever does happen). It's more of a tin foil hat than anything.

I'm very bummed out we didn't get anything new in terms of revealing story/characters/etc, but I guess it's not their fault the poster was leaked...

On the one hand I'm thrilled it seems like they're going with a co-star approach and I truly do believe that focusing just on two characters instead of the clusterfuck that was Sun&Moon's six can definitely lend itself to stronger writing. On the other hand I'm not super thrilled at both main characters being boys. Yeah there could still technically be a third main character who is a girl but, unless they're saving her for a huge reveal for whatever reason, she would most likely be the wet blanket of the group like Takeshi was in Diamond&Pearl (the poor guy couldn't even get on the first few posters for that series...) I suppose, if the continuity is still in-tact, old companions can fill in the gaps, but that's not the same as having a brand new character whose story we can follow.

Has it been confirmed to be a reboot or the same continuity? In my opinion it would be very silly to make a focus of the series revisiting old locations and decide that's the best time to ditch any sense of continuity, but I guess if they can do it with I Choose You! anything is possible...

As for Shinji Miyazaki stepping down from the series...I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me sad. His contributions to the franchise have been huge and the background music has been about the one consistently good thing in each series thus far. I can think of several standout tracks from every saga, both rearrangements of the game tunes and brand-new pieces, and it's really helped define the franchise. That being said, I am fond of the music playing in the trailer and it sounds like Yuki Hayashi has some serious credits on his resume so I'm going in with high hopes.

I do wonder if the new series will use old background music-- obviously the ship has sailed on OS-DP music but what about after that? There are plenty of tracks from Isshu, Kalos, and Alola to use when those regions are visited, and with I Choose You! and Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution remixing a bunch of Kanto pieces those could be used too. Plus there's some from Johto in Everyone's Story. But would licensing get in the way? And if it didn't (I genuinely don't know how it works), would they even want to? I'm not too familiar with Yuki Hayashi's work but from what I have heard it is noticeably different from Shinji Miyazaki's work. Would they want to mix the two, even if they're allowed? And if they stick with completely new stuff, will Yuki Hayashi remix some older stuff? I'm sure game music will be covered but what about original compositions? Could he remix the Rocket trio's motto theme, for instance? What about Tears After the Cloudy Weather? Will older vocal songs still be used?

I do hope this means we finally finally finally get a comprehensive OST release for Best Wishes, XY, and Sun&Moon. Especially if those soundtracks aren't used in the show any more.

tumblr_pykgqskOcG1vi16kro1_1280.jpg
To break this huge wall of text up-- some have noticed similarities to Everyone's Story's art style so Kiana Mai on twitter drew concept art for the Rocket trio's outfits from that movie coming to the series. I think it would be great! Go follow her on twitter if you don't already she posts fantastic Rocket fanart.

Finally, regarding Satoshi-- I'm still a firm believer that the only way the show would ever consider dropping him is if Rica Matsumoto decided to leave. However-- if she did decide to leave, would it make sense to let the team know at the beginning of a new series so they have a few years to write out the character and start thinking about how to re-tool the franchise after the fact? Maybe renew her contract for a final three years? I honestly truly do not know how contracts work for voice actors of this show and I could be spouting a bunch of nonsense here. However-- the best way for the show to end Satoshi's journey would be to have one final series of hm traveling around and visiting previous locations in some kind of "champion's league". Maybe the sudden focus on old regions has less to do with the success of Go and Masters and more to do with the idea of this being Satoshi's swan song...?

I'm not saying I truly think Satoshi is going anywhere after this series. Just that, from everything we know about the series and assuming it's not a reboot these are the circumstances that I think would work best for his eventual departure (if it ever does happen). It's more of a tin foil hat than anything.
I think you could be right, this looks like this series will be the last for Ash, and a beginning for Gou. But only time will tell.

If Gen 4 was the Pinnacle, Gen 5 the High Noon, and Gen 6 the decline, then Gen 8 must be the Pits. People would think this is a revival of Pokemon, when if you look very closely is nothing more than a large bubble from the sinking wreck of what was that's about the burst... Hard!!! Let's face it. Most of the original people that worked for the games or anime have either retired or passed on, and with Japan having a very low fatality rate and a lot of people old enough to retire, well... there's our answer right from the blue. Doubtful that could be the reason, but it is something worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Speaking of Team Rocket, I actually hope they continue on with their S&M personalities and not regress them back to their old ways where they're constantly stalking Pikachu 24/7 like it's the next holy coming of God or something.

I mean they could still keep that stuff on board and use it every now and then but getting to see them do so much more in S&M (especially when it came to episodes focusing on them) was the holiest breath of fresh air the trio got and it honestly made them one of my favourites now.

That and keep the tired old character/Pokemon of the day formula away. I could do without them going back to making episodes about random folks I couldn't give a toss about.

Ash is guaranteed at least one starter, since he is the main source of marketing, so he is prolly getting Sobble.

The anime's format is constantly changing. You'll never know. I still think it'll be cool if they introduced 2 other companions, each with their own starters.

This is similar to what I was thinking. It seems that most believed that they where going to be visiting Galar and all the other regions in the typical 3 year series cycle. But it seems like that would be much to rushed.

I feel like there's no need to go to a region for a whole year. What is even going to happen there? Ash doing the badge quest in Sinnoh again? What for? Gou doesn't seem like he's into that as well. I will be however down with it if say Lillie decides to do the gyms in Kanto or something.

• There will not be dedicated years to the various regions and hence no badge quest in the other regions.
    • Satoshi and Gou will travel to this and that region for specific activities in one-off episodes or mini arcs at the very most.

I still think this is most likely.

You asked for modern cartoons staring an only female cast. And I gave you some examples.
Let's see...
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Spike, Discord, etc.
Steven Universe
STEVEN, Lars, etc.
(technically)
No.
Powerpuff Girls 2016
Not watch much of it, but Professor and Mayor are still around.
DC Super Hero Girls
Cast is full with many male heroes.
Disney's Frozen
Not a show, still: Kristoff, Olaf, Sven, etc.
Here's a thought. If the new series actually was a reboot, or even a continuation of M20, why is the new art style seemingly based on Sun and Moon's?
It isn't? Only similarity I see is colours.
Contests, in spite of being a competition for both genders, was treated as the female companion’s answer to Ash’s badge quest without them even entertaining the prospect that the female companion could have any other goal.
Back then, contests were the only other goal in the game, and they already give Iris a different goal. So, I'm not really seeing the issue here.
Not necessarily what I want, but I think that Gloria might be a Pokémon Musician, with Grookey. Grookey could be a percussionist with his stick and Gloria might play the bagpipes. I'm not even joking.
I'm sorry but, how is that any better or "less girly" compared to the contests, or even Serena's goal? There is no battles.

I really don't think that the main series will end in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom