• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The in-show encounter wasn't the trigger for his goal, as he had already mentioned it. The movie changed that.

Not to mention that the show last referenced Ho-Oh in 2006. It didn't make that big an impact on the original Ash.
If anything, it only impacted the Japanese Arc (OS-DP)

I feel that Houou was introduced in the first episode to have some sort of arc down the road, similar to what I Choose You had. However I never understood why it completely vanished afterwards and only appeared through cameos twice years later. Then completely forgotten again.

Also do you guys remember how Satoshi mistook Freezer for Houou in the second episode lol That was never brought up again too. There are other examples of possibly left out, or just ignored\unexplained, plots in Kanto that're not Houou related, like the gigantic Kairyu in the Masaki episode (which for some reason no one recognized it as a Kairyu).

Of course I'm not considering the ignored stuff as the Zukan's Pokemon transfering button or the levels.

I feel that Houou was introduced in the first episode to have some sort of arc down the road, similar to what I Choose You had. However I never understood why it completely vanished afterwards and only appeared through cameos twice years later. Then completely forgotten again.

Also do you guys remember how Satoshi mistook Freezer for Houou in the second episode lol That was never brought up again too. There are other examples of possibly left out, or just ignored\unexplained, plots in Kanto that're not Houou related, like the gigantic Kairyu in the Masaki episode (which for some reason no one recognized it as a Kairyu).

Of course I'm not considering the ignored stuff as the Zukan's Pokemon transfering button or the levels.
tbh, Ho-oh was just a marketing ploy, a hint for the Gen 2 games coming soon at the time. There were many hints to next gen games except for Gen 8, which got nothing. I expect that was done due to the original people that worked on the series standing down after SM.

I dunno, I guess it's the sports theme. Also it's compairing some of the past regions. Not what I have hoped. But since the bed has been made, I'd have to sleep in it.
I’d say that’s a bit of a stretch especially considering that the sport theme that’s being represented in SwSh is soccer, a popular sport in the UK in general and one that is co-ed especially compared to many other sports

The ratings even show that most that watch Pokemon are boys. SwSh also has a more masculine feel, and it seems like the new anime is also doing the same thing with the main cast of 2.

To be fair, an anime with two male protagonists developing a close relationship will probably attractive for certain amount of female characters.

I couldn't stop thinking about musician Gloria so:

Regular Chatot also looked good, but since I had already took the time to recolor it shiny...

tbh, Ho-oh was just a marketing ploy, a hint for the Gen 2 games coming soon at the time. There were many hints to next gen games except for Gen 8, which got nothing. I expect that was done due to the original people that worked on the series standing down after SM.
Considering how Gen II and Ho-Oh were revealed the same month the anime started airing, your theory might not be far from the truth.

To be fair, an anime with two male protagonists developing a close relationship will probably attractive for certain amount of female characters.

I am not sure the sort of girls that watch yaoi are into Pokemon. Also, Ash and Gou are too young to be sexualized, they are only ten years old.

Except not all female viewers are into yaoi, which itself is a sensitive topic.
I've already said that you can't reach all female viewers (or all male viewers).

So, I don't know why you mention "not all female viewers are into yaoi" as if I was trying to imply that.

I am not sure the sort of girls that watch yaoi are into Pokemon. Also, Ash and Gou are too young to be sexualized, they are only ten years old.

There are yaoi fans that won't be stopped for that. In the same way, the female characters (10 years old too) in Pokemon had been sexualized.

Last edited:
I highly doubt having two male protagonists in the anime is going to doom the franchise. I feel you're making a mountain out of a Drilburmolehill.
Maybe not doom, but it certainly isn’t exactly giving very good implications towards the girls especially when you do have girls in the cast that you never really have them in any other roles than things that can be painted as more feminine.

The ratings even show that most that watch Pokemon are boys. SwSh also has a more masculine feel, and it seems like the new anime is also doing the same thing with the main cast of 2.
I think we're forgetting that the female companions are geared towards male viewers in the first place. The director essentially referred to them as eye-candy. People should really relax, there will be plenty of female representation in this show, even if it's spread out across multiple characters. Not to mention that Gou isn't necessarily confirmed to be a travelling companion. He is one of the main characters. They could potentially go with a concurrent storyline and show how both these character's stories intertwine. They might even both have their own separate travelling companions.

1. The movie specifically retcons out the line where Ash declared that he'd become a Pokemon Master (right after watching TV).
  2. AU Ash first brings up his goal in the conversation where the group discuss Ho-Oh and Ash's encounter with it.
  3. When he loses to Cross, his main concern is Ho-Oh.
What's the alternative, anyway? That the original Ash had a secret encounter before the show even started? That Ash's description was randomly changed? I don't find those options likely.
The line about meeting a legendary Pokemon is definitely curious, but the art style and Rica's comments both imply a continuation of Sun and Moon. I'm split. Honestly I can see them retroactively inserting an origin story for Ash like this, in a similar way to how Serena/Ash's origin story was forced into existence in XY. That or they can backpedal and imply that Ash's encounter with Ho-oh in OS was more significant than it really was. It's also possible that they will try to blur the continuity, for example continue from SM but also make references to the events of M20. In my experience, Japanese writers tend to be less hung up over tightly-written continuity, and don't mind introducing massive plot holes.

I not saying that there won't be a Female Protagonist as well since we are in the early stages before Sunday.
Is there confirmed to be more news next Sunday?

There are other examples of possibly left out, or just ignored\unexplained, plots in Kanto that're not Houou related, like the gigantic Kairyu in the Masaki episode (which for some reason no one recognized it as a Kairyu).
I like the theory that the giant Dragonite was simply one of Giovanni's giant Pokemon robots from his park, implying Bill wasted half his life researching a theme park attraction.

Last edited:
I'm doubting that Gloria will appear now since Galar already has its representation. If it needs a Female Represantaton then they'lll create an anime-only character. So yeah you can say Gloria got hilda'd.

I'm doubting that Gloria will appear now since Galar already has its representation. If it needs a Female Represantaton then they'lll create an anime-only character. So yeah you can say Gloria got hilda'd.
Honestly, anime OCs might be a good path to go as it causes their longevity to become less predictable. Previous girls could really only go as far as their generation stretched (Misty was the exception since at the time a female player character hadn’t existed until partly through Johto) but an anime OC could have much more staying power.

1. The movie specifically retcons out the line where Ash declared that he'd become a Pokemon Master (right after watching TV).
  2. AU Ash first brings up his goal in the conversation where the group discuss Ho-Oh and Ash's encounter with it.
  3. When he loses to Cross, his main concern is Ho-Oh.
Just checked it, he still announces his intention to be a Pokémon Master right before Spearow's attack. So, no, it still had nothing to do with Ho-Oh.
What's the alternative, anyway? That the original Ash had a secret encounter before the show even started?
This seems the most likely explanation. They always retcon his past to add new info, like his friendship with Gary and his encounter with Serena.

What do people want in Galar's represantation of the female character? Someone who does showcases/contests, someone who gym battles, or something new? I for one would like to see them do gym battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom