• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a magazine mis-reports on something and it’s somehow Game Freak/The Pokémon Company’s fault?

I’ve literally never heard of anyone complain about getting “only” 8 gyms, why do people suddenly hate that idea?

I agree that the Sword and Sheild games are making a lot of questionable choices but people are blowing this waaaayyyy out of proportion. Why weren’t people complaining about “only” 8 gyms 3 weeks ago?

And to be honest between going to all of the regions as well as Galar I’m not sure how they’d manage 18 gyms
64 Gyms in all to be exact, and that's including Alola's new Gyms that will probably debut in the anime.

Just like there's Major/Minor Leagues Baseball and Football/Soccer.

For instance...

Minor League Football in the UK are Preston, Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton (Locally)

Whilst Major League Football in the UK are Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsonal (Global)
Or if you want to consider things on a more major, inter-regional level then the UEFA CL comes to mind.

Too bad they couldn't have made this entirely in Galar because all those Gyms would've given them a lot to work with, even with this weird major/minor League difference.

I just hope that this doesn't get some poor dopes sent to the Not Animated Gulag...:confused_emoji:

I was thinking that you might get to travel to another region after winning the Galar League, bringing the total Gyms up to 16 just like Gold and Silver. Kalos seems the most likely in this case. Then add 2 gyms that are different depending on which version you're playing, then the total becomes 18 gyms. Game Freak's comment may be a made to prevent further spoilers.

I'm guessing Minor league gyms aren't as strong as the major ones, I wonder if when we start the games, we can only challenge minor whilst on completion, we can tackle the major ones

In the anime, Gou as a new trainer will probably face the minor whilst Ash with his experience can take on the major

Even with the new info revealed I'm not sure what to really think. Its still upsetting that they have yet to reveal the one thing I want.

I was thinking that you might get to travel to another region after winning the Galar League, bringing the total Gyms up to 16 just like Gold and Silver. Kalos seems the most likely in this case. Then add 2 gyms that are different depending on which version you're playing, then the total becomes 18 gyms. Game Freak's comment may be a made to prevent further spoilers.

Only in the anime then. No Mega's and Dexit have made a second already known region impossible.

I'm guessing Minor league gyms aren't as strong as the major ones, I wonder if when we start the games, we can only challenge minor whilst on completion, we can tackle the major ones

In the anime, Gou as a new trainer will probably face the minor whilst Ash with his experience can take on the major
That's a good point. It could be similar to GS where you gather 8 badges, challenge the league, gather 8 more, and than challenge the tougher league. Perhaps after completing the minor league you will get a sponsorship to challenge the majors. That would be some amazing post-game.

I'm curious about the part that says the major league gyms change every year. I'm wondering if out of all the gyms, 8 will be randomly selected at the start of your game to be the major league ones, or maybe they will change depending or your actions. Starter Pokemon perhaps? It would make sense for there to be 16 gyms total in the games. 8 major, 8 minor, and 2 of those being game exclusive = 18 gyms across both. Unless Game Informer really did pull that number out of thin air. Anyway, I just hope we're afforded some freedom in choosing the order we tackle towns/gyms.

I'm curious about the part that says the major league gyms change every year. I'm wondering if out of all the gyms, 8 will be randomly selected at the start of your game to be the major league ones, or maybe they will change depending or your actions. Starter Pokemon perhaps? It would make sense for there to be 16 gyms total in the games. 8 major, 8 minor, and 2 of those being game exclusive = 18 gyms across both. Unless Game Informer really did pull that number out of thin air. Anyway, I just hope we're afforded some freedom in choosing the order we tackle towns/gyms.
This is a reference to relegation in professional soccer. Basing on the premier league (UK and league they are probably emulating) the bottom three teams in the league are relegated each year and the top 2 from the "minor league" are promoted, with a third promotion being decided in a tournament. It forces teams to remain competitive and not "tank" (tanking is a very common issue in US professional sports - although relegation can't really work in most US professional sports due to "minor league" teams being so intertwined with top level teams in many cases), and I think it is actually a great idea to emulate in universe in Pokemon, especially in a region that is being shown to be so battle obsessed. So at least in universe, that is what it is based on, I have no idea how it will work as a game mechanic, but in the anime it can be portrayed very interestingly, maybe some lesser "major league" gym leaders will be stressed out in some battles and feel they need a win to avoid relegation, and some "minor league" gym leaders will have a lot of motivation to get a win and move up.

That's a good point. It could be similar to GS where you gather 8 badges, challenge the league, gather 8 more, and than challenge the tougher league. Perhaps after completing the minor league you will get a sponsorship to challenge the majors. That would be some amazing post-game.

Game Informer have received a follow up from their original article about the Gym statement reported on October 1st. With this, they state that they were told that there will be a similar amount of gyms to battle as prior games, but some do change between version as seen with Bea's Fighting-type Gym in Sword and Allister's Ghost-type Gym in Shield. In the game's lore, however, there are 18 across the leagues. As reported back in July, there are eight gym badges to collect in the game. We'll provide full details on this as and when it comes so keep checking back

Sounds like the usual 8 Major gyms will be the ones we battle, and the rest (minors) are namedropped in lore/postgame content.

This is a reference to relegation in professional soccer. Basing on the premier league (UK and league they are probably emulating) the bottom three teams in the league are relegated each year and the top 2 from the "minor league" are promoted, with a third promotion being decided in a tournament. It forces teams to remain competitive and not "tank" (tanking is a very common issue in US professional sports - although relegation can't really work in most US professional sports due to "minor league" teams being so intertwined with top level teams in many cases), and I think it is actually a great idea to emulate in universe in Pokemon, especially in a region that is being shown to be so battle obsessed. So at least in universe, that is what it is based on, I have no idea how it will work as a game mechanic, but in the anime it can be portrayed very interestingly, maybe some lesser "major league" gym leaders will be stressed out in some battles and feel they need a win to avoid relegation, and some "minor league" gym leaders will have a lot of motivation to get a win and move up.
This could tie into the "Ash battling one gym in every region theory". There could be one major league gym in every region. They could either introduce new gyms or promote existing gym leaders. The usual 8 badge per region/tournament quest could be considered the "minor league", and now that ash finally won one he could be eligible to compete in the new majors. Before the major/minor league thing was revealed that theory didn't really make sense, but now I can see it happening.

This could tie into the "Ash battling one gym in every region theory". There could be one major league gym in every region. They could either introduce new gyms or promote existing gym leaders. The usual 8 badge per region/tournament quest could be considered the "minor league", and now that ash finally won one he could be eligible to compete in the new majors. Before the major/minor league thing was revealed that theory didn't really make sense, but now I can see it happening.
I don't know why Galar would have its Gyms in other regions. It wouldn't be the Galar League if that was the case.

I don't know why Galar would have its Gyms in other regions. It wouldn't be the Galar League if that was the case.
It would be a little different in this scenario. In the anime, every region's league would be the "minors", and then the "major's would be the national event that all regions participate in. You would need to have beaten a minor league in order to qualify for the major league, or perhaps you would need a sponsorship.

It would be a little different in this scenario. In the anime, every region's league would be the "minors", and then the "major's would be the national event that all regions participate in. You would need to have beaten a minor league in order to qualify for the major league, or perhaps you would need a sponsorship.
I don't think that they're doing something like that unless Ash is exiting the series after this saga.

I don't think that they're doing something like that unless Ash is exiting the series after this saga.
It's just a theory on how they could incorporate the major/minor leagues into the anime, that also explains the regional travel. They might not even include the concept of a major/minor league in the anime. But it's worth pointing out that Ash could simply lose the major league and have to try again. And we know that the major league gyms change every year, so they could technically make him challenge 8 new gyms/gym leaders every season. Also there's a good chance that this IS the last proper series, but it's going to run indefinitely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom