• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What promises? They almost didn't tell us anything from this new show. The only thing we know is Ash is back, his new companion is Gou and Gou's goal and that all of the regions will show up. That's about it!
I mean we were suppose to get something this week, only to add another date next week. Not just anime, but the SwSh as well. However, I will give this the benefit of the doubt when the games do come out.

I personally like this approach because gen 7 gave us too much and expectations were everywhere at the time.
It's good that they're avoiding spoilers, but all this reboot/not-a-reboot debate is making this seriously agonizing. If they could confirm one way or the other and then go back into silence we could all relax. To be fair though, it's possible that they never even considered rebooting the series, and that fans are single-handedly responsible for all the confusion. From their perspective, fans shouldn't be suspecting a reboot so it wouldn't make sense for them to have to confirm that it isn't.

It's good that they're avoiding spoilers, but all this reboot/not-a-reboot debate is making this seriously agonizing. If they could confirm one way or the other and then go back into silence we could all relax. To be fair though, it's possible that they never even considered rebooting the series, and that fans are single-handedly responsible for all the confusion. From their perspective, fans shouldn't be suspecting a reboot so it wouldn't make sense for them to have to confirm that it isn't.
Usually, if companies don't confirm something that fans hope for (not-a-reboot in this case) then that is exactly what they'll do. If it was a reboot then they'd have hinted at it a lot earlier.

An example, a bit off-topic, would be Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version which they were very silent about but didn't deny exactly. And voila, they announced RDR2 for PC two days ago.

Last edited:
Or it looks more like a complete reboot where Ash starts his journey through Kanto and meets Gou there, which is exactly what I feared would happen.
but his Japanese voice actor say his journey to be a pokemon master isn't over you think they reboot ash/use au ash I think not remember they wanted to try something new for the s/m movies retelling ash's journey from the first episode or ash traveling alone this is our ash we grew up with

Usually, if companies don't confirm something that fans hope for (not-a-reboot in this case) then that is exactly what they'll do. If it was a reboot then they'd have hinted at it a lot earlier.

An example, a bit off-topic, would be Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version which they were very silent about about but didn't deny exactly. And voila, they announced RDR2 for PC two days ago.
I hope you're right, but at the same time TPC could be so out of touch that they could actually think that fans would be excited over a reboot. Once again, I hope we get something substantial on Sunday. Also I like your new avatar.

I hope you're right, but at the same time TPC could be so out of touch that they could actually think that fans would be excited over a reboot. Once again, I hope we get something substantial on Sunday. Also I like your new avatar.
If fans were pissed off at the National Dex cut (essentially not continuing the past), do you think they'll be happy with an anime reboot (again, not continuing the past)? Especially the passionate fans who grew up alongside Ash. Besides, Rica Matsumoto's words give me relief because they state a continuation.

Yeah, the lack of news was disappointing, especially when they just have close ups of the announcement poster from last week, but I also think that some of the reactions here are a bit much. I just don't think that it makes sense to assume the worse about the upcoming series or that this was a broken promise when we know so little about it. I completely understand being frustrated about the lack of news. We have a lot of questions and waiting a whole month just to get a teaser poster definitely didn't help matters. I'm just kind of tired of seeing negativity towards this series already.

Some of us are a bit worried about this new anime because of the make such a secret about it. It really comes off like they want to hide something from us.
Plus, when you look back on Pokemon as a whole and how they presented the next Gen Pokemon before the game came out, we had diddly squad for 2019 in both the anime and movies. This makes me feel like they are going to reboot the entire series and start again from scratch, which I hope they don't. Ash may have become Champion, but Ash's path to become Pokemon Master is not over in the sense that he is still the main character. It doesn't mean that there might be a continuation. Since Gen 5, they seem to have forgotten of what made Pokemon so special in the first place and instead tried giving us refreshes after refreshes that lacked the feel and spark that it once had.

At this point, I'm not really worried about this series being a reboot. I suppose it's still possible, but to me it's not coming across that way. I also agree that all of the gloom and doom is a little overboard. It's the same story as last week: we really can't say the new series looks or sounds bad when we know next to nothing about it. We can be disappointed by the lack of news (I know I am) but we can't really be disappointed in the actual series because...we don't know anything about it.

One other possibility for the lack of news that I've seen speculated is that the beginning of this new series has heavy spoilers for the end of SM. That's never stopped them from sharing new series info prior to the end of the previous saga before, but this definitely seems to be a somewhat different take on the anime than usual.

Heavey spoilers about the end of Sun and Moon? Let me repropose my crazy theory that Nyaheat becomes Gou instead of Gaogaen. He has the colours and he has the red striped hair clips. The names of the evolution are similar.

I was thinking that Satoshi is probably going to win against Kukui because it would be ugly if the champion lost publicly right after his win. The match might be an exhibition, but the outcome would still give the perception that Kukui would be champion if he had partecipated.
So, if Kukui loses to Satoshi, Nyaheat can't be sent off by giving him to Kukui to "train under someone who can train him better".
But also Nyaheat has received the kind of focus that it would be weird to just drop him at Oak, on or off-screen.
So what do we do with him?
He was a person all along! Or he becomes a person because of an experiment!
Infinite possibilities if you are crazy enough.

Some of us are a bit worried about this new anime because of the make such a secret about it. It really comes off like they want to hide something from us.

That seems like a bit of an overreaction to me, or at least reading too much into what little information they've provided. It could be a matter of not being allowed to reveal more detailed information about it because it connects to something from the games that haven't been officially revealed yet. I'm not sure how likely that is given the world traveling setup, but it's still plausible at least.

I mean, they cannot expect not to scare people when they introduce another protagonist without being clear as to their role.

I doubt that they'd even consider the idea that Go would scare people. Ash is still around, so he isn't going anywhere, and the idea that Go could replace him is also jumping to a pretty huge conclusion. We don't know what his role is, but I'm pretty sure that the idea of a double protagonist series is supposed to get people excited and talk about the upcoming series as opposed to have people panic over it.

That seems like a bit of an overreaction to me, or at least reading too much into what little information they've provided. It could be a matter of not being allowed to reveal more detailed information about it because it connects to something from the games that haven't been officially revealed yet. I'm not sure how likely that is given the world traveling setup, but it's still plausible at least.

I doubt that they'd even consider the idea that Go would scare people. Ash is still around, so he isn't going anywhere, and the idea that Go could replace him is also jumping to a pretty huge conclusion. We don't know what his role is, but I'm pretty sure that the idea of a double protagonist series is supposed to get people excited and talk about the upcoming series as opposed to have people panic over it.
It's just getting used to all the changes that we had to face from the formula we're used to for the past 20 years, and all in this year alone might I add.

It's just getting used to all the changes that we had to face from the formula we're used to for the past 20 years, and all in this year alone might I add.

I can understand that to a point, but it's also still kind of strange considering how often I've heard people complain about the anime being too formulaic for years. Plus, just because it is different doesn't mean it will be bad necessarily. I understand why people are worried and upset. I just think that the panic goes a bit too far and leads to more conclusion jumping than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom