• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that Ash will use his older Pokemon because think about it, the main reason Ash gets rid of his Pokemon before a new series is so they can show off the new Pokemon. But unless the show will take place in Galar for a lot longer than they're letting on, he won't really have an opportunity to catch many Galar Pokemon. And seeing how Gou's the one aiming to catch Pokemon, they might leave that mostly to him. So from least to mostly likely, I believe:

1. The series will spend a long enough time in Galar for Ash to catch a full team of Galar Pokemon.
  2. Ash will start with Pikachu and somehow find Galar Pokemon in older regions and exclusively catch them.
  3. Ash will start with Pikachu and catch new older Pokemon in older regions , which I would find to be an odd choice (but still interesting). @BigDocFan theorized one of the characters getting a Farfetch'd and evolving it in Galar, so it would be cool if Ash got it. Similar to how Ash and Dawn had Jhoto Pokemon in DP, because they evolved into Sinnoh Pokemon.
  4. Ash will mostly use his older Pokemon, and catch one or two new ones in Galar.
I think he'll do a Unova lite. He'll keep a team of maybe 4, including his underused mons and Pikachu. Over the series, he'll capture a few Galar mons (or older mons with new evolutions from the games) and rotate his team over time (probably the last two slots) while keeping a few fixed new mons.

So it looks like Koharu is the other companion (at least from how some info pages about her sound, as well as what I've seen around)? She definitely does look like one. Her design is very unique, and she even has a backpack. I am definitely excited to see more about this character and her dynamic with the other two then. If she is the third companion, I do wonder if we'll see a fourth, or if they will stick to three. Either way, I am content.

I'm feeling more optimistic about this anime than I have since the title was first teased. It definitely looks like something I can get behind. Sure I want a trip through Galar anime as much as the next person, but it definitely seems like they will be going there (I mean, they have to advertise the main games to some extent). Looking forward to see more about what this anime will have to bring us.

Last edited:
So it looks like Koharu is the other companion (at least from how some info pages about her sound, as well as what I've seen around)? She definitely does look like one. Her design is very unique, and she even has a backpack. I am definitely excited to see more about this character and her dynamic with the other two then. If she is the third companion, I do wonder if we'll see a fourth, or if they will stick to three. Either way, I am content.

I'm feeling more optimistic about this anime than I have since the title was first teased. It definitely looks like something I can get behind. Sure I want a trip through Galar anime as much as the next person, but it definitely seems like they will be going there (I mean, they have to advertise the ain games to some extent). Looking forward to see more about what this anime will have to bring us.

She is and I liked it.

Okay, now I'm REALLY confused o_O

So Ash-tachii is in a base in Kanto and are apparently going to use a teleportation device to go all over the world. Why?

Why not just set the saga in Galar? Sword & Shield gives them plenty to work with. Does even OLM think Gen 8 sucks already like a lot of fans do? Is this an act of desperation after SM, even though it's more or less the same thing? Does someone in charge REALLY think fans would rather watch a hodge-podge of friggn' mobile games instead of the main series? Did the producers just throw their hands up, said "eh, fuck it", and give up telling a story or adapting the games in favor of making just another kids' adventure anime (though that is a step up from them going into gag anime territory again)? :confused_emoji:

At first I thought it was about bringing back (lots of) old characters to help promote Masters, but I really don't see why they'd go SO far when Galar gives them enough to make a decent saga already. Like @Hidden Mew has said repeatedly, Masters hasn't been THAT well received enough to justify this. Even if this does help Masters' sales, SwSh should still be a (much) higher priority.

I'll still give it a shot (bring back NPCs from past regions and it's a deal), but I just don't understand what their deal is...:confused:

Last edited:
I believe it's not a "made for masters" thing and more a "whatever the game I want to focus, now I can".

Koharu seems interesting, it looks like she could play a Sonia-like role advising and supervising Ash and Go. Her outfit and hair is nice but i wish she looked happier.
The backgrounds look awesome, they are doing Kanto justice unlike certain 2018 game. They look like a mix between XY and M21 to me, I'm sure they'll look great in motion.
The part of having a base and going to a different region every time instead of having regional arcs is...disappointing. It kinda reminds me of the Ultra Guardian's missions, and it will break the logic of some regions being very far from one another. Also, it seems that we won't get to see Pallet Town (and Ash's reserves...) often.

So Ash-tachii is in a base in Kanto and are apparently going to use a teleportation device to go all over the world. Why?

Why not just set the saga in Galar?

I figure it's mainly because Kanto is Ash's home region so it'd be suitable as a home base, and because of the potential for appealing to nostalgia and/or Kanto's fans.

Hmm I’m still 50/50 on if this is a reboot or not, I really hope we get some answers Sunday.

Some of you guys are confusing “pandering to nostalgia” with “pandering to the Kanto saga”. When was the last time the show referenced Best Wishes in a meaningful way? There was that Dent special but one time in roughly six years isn’t what I call “pandering”.

Plus I guarantee there will still be pandering even if the continuity is reset. I Choose You! is a great example.

Why not just set the saga in Galar? Sword & Shield gives them plenty to work with. Does even OLM think Gen 8 sucks already like a lot of fans do? Is this an act of desperation after SM, even though it's more or less the same thing? Does someone in charge REALLY think fans would rather watch a hodge-podge of friggn' mobile games instead of the main series? Did the producers just throw their hands up, said "eh, fuck it", and give up telling a story or adapting the games in favor of making just another kids' adventure anime (though that is a step up from them going into gag anime territory again)? :confused_emoji:

I'm not sure if they are using a teleportation device to go all around the world. While that might explain why they have a homebase in Kanto, it would seem kind of strange when they could simply just take airplanes and boats when needed. Even if that is the case, I really don't see how it's more or less the same thing as SM. They stuck to Melemele Island for the vast majority of the series. Whether or not they are using a teleporation device to go around the world, it sounds like they are going to to different regions as opposed to being in the same location for eighty percent of the series.

As for why they're doing this as opposed to just having the series set in Galar, it's hard to say. Right now, it mainly comes off as an attempt to make the series more distinct and unique right off the bat. I doubt that this has anything to do with the fan backlash considering that this series was most likely in development well before fans complained about the games. Considering we don't know too much about the storyline of the anime or how much they'll cover for Galar, it's also too early to say that they just gave up telling a story or adapting the games. The latter is especially strange to me considering the anime has always prioritize telling its own story as opposed to being a faithful adaptation of the games.

SammyW27 said:
At first I thought it was about bringing back (lots of) old characters to help promote Masters, but I really don't see why they'd go SO far when Galar gives them enough to make a decent saga already. Like @Hidden Mew has said, Masters hasn't been THAT well received enough to justify this. Even if this does help Masters' sales, SwSh should still be a (much) higher priority.

I'll still give it a shot (bring back NPCs from past regions and it's a deal), but I just don't understand what their deal is...:confused:

Not only that, but I also don't really know how far along Masters was in development when they were working on this series. It might have been too early for Masters to play a key role in the anime's development. Plus, they really don't focus on almost any of their spin-off titles in the main series. The only exception was with the Pokemon Ranger games. They had specials and shorts featuring new Ranger characters, along with an original one being featured in the Manaphy movie, but that was about it. The Mystery Dungeon games got similar kind of attention, but they had their own shorts and specials separated from the main series instead. I just really don't see them going that far to promote Masters through this new series for a lot of reasons.

Not only that, but I also don't really know how far along Masters was in development when they were working on this series. It might have been too early for Masters to play a key role in the anime's development. Plus, they really don't focus on almost any of their spin-off titles in the main series. The only exception was with the Pokemon Ranger games. They had specials and shorts featuring new Ranger characters, along with an original one being featured in the Manaphy movie, but that was about it. The Mystery Dungeon games got similar kind of attention, but they had their own shorts and specials separated from the main series instead. I just really don't see them going that far to promote Masters through this new series for a lot of reasons.
Don't forget about Todd, who if I recall correctly was the main character of Pokémon Snap and was possibly added to the anime to promote it.

Don't forget about Todd, who if I recall correctly was the main character of Pokémon Snap and was possibly added to the anime to promote it.
Actually it was the other way around. Todd was introduced a while before Snap came out, and at the start Snap wasn't even a Pokemon game, just a regular photography game. When they switched it to a Pokemon themed game, they used Todd for obvious reasons.

Go is definitely being adapted here to some extent (a main character being named after the game, his goal being inspired by it, and PokeStops appearing in the research center), so I don't see why Masters receiving somewhat similar treatment is unthinkable. All it would mean is giving screentime to old gym leaders and maybe other old characters, which is what you'd expect from this kind of series, anyway. The game had definitely been at least halfway through development by the time they started working on this series, and it makes more sense to promote something relatively new that could use the buzz than a game that has been doing well for over 3 years.

Why the thought of an AU doesn't bother me:

1. Realistically, Ash winning against Kukui is about as far as he could ever go with a regional team.
  2. I don't see him using a team of reserves after 9 years it hasn't come close to happening. Even if he did, it would be a fraction of the total roster.
  3. The idea of Ash traveling in old regions without his old Pokemon or companions isn't appealing. It wasn't fun in the Battle Frontier.
  4. He has a much better reason to challenge old gym leaders in an AU. Could he challenge the Elite Four instead? Not before the very end, so it wouldn't have much to do with the actual journey.
  5. The original Ash could still appear in movies and maybe the plot would actually be relevant to his story.
  6. I'd rather that Go and Ash be on an equal footing as advertised, rather than having to pretend that they are. If Ash's profile doesn't mention his being the Alola Champion, it might as well not be a fact anymore.

At first I thought it was about bringing back (lots of) old characters to help promote Masters, but I really don't see why they'd go SO far when Galar gives them enough to make a decent saga already. Like @Hidden Mew has said repeatedly, Masters hasn't been THAT well received enough to justify this. Even if this does help Masters' sales, SwSh should still be a (much) higher priority.

I think the speculation about old characters returning is coming from the show involving every region plus Brock and Misty returning recently moreso than anything to do with Masters.

Is teleportation confirmed? Like some were mentioning earlier a boat seems to make sense considering Koharu's sailor motif and Vermillion being a seaport.

As for why they're doing this as opposed to just having the series set in Galar, it's hard to say. Right now, it mainly comes off as an attempt to make the series more distinct and unique right off the bat. I doubt that this has anything to do with the fan backlash considering that this series was most likely in development well before fans complained about the games. Considering we don't know too much about the storyline of the anime or how much they'll cover for Galar, it's also too early to say that they just gave up telling a story or adapting the games. The latter is especially strange to me considering the anime has always prioritize telling its own story as opposed to being a faithful adaptation of the games.
There are two factors I can think of:
*A general desire to branch out. They did six (seven, if you count the Orange Islands) badge quests in a row over about twenty years. Sun/Moon did something different and it's easy to imagine wanting to keep trying new things instead of going back to a badge quest.
*Pokémon has recently had some major successes outside the mainline games or the anime. There were spinoff games beforehand, but Go was a big success that got the series in the mainstream news again, and there was also the very successful Detective Pikachu movie recently. So the new name and focus could be part of a desire to focus the anime on advertising the brand in general rather than the most recent games in particular.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, whilst 小 & 春 do mean "small" and "Spring" individually, when they come together to form the compound Kanji of Koharu/小春 it instead becomes "Late Autumn".
Yes, but judging by the character's cherry blossom theme, it makes more sense that her name references spring, instead of autumn.

Go is definitely being adapted here to some extent (a main character being named after the game, his goal being inspired by it, and PokeStops appearing in the research center), so I don't see why Masters receiving somewhat similar treatment is unthinkable. All it would mean is giving screentime to old gym leaders and maybe other old characters, which is what you'd expect from this kind of series, anyway. The game had definitely been at least halfway through development by the time they started working on this series, and it makes more sense to promote something relatively new that could use the buzz than a game that has been doing well for over 3 years.

Why the thought of an AU doesn't bother me:

1. Realistically, Ash winning against Kukui is about as far as he could ever go with a regional team.
  2. I don't see him using a team of reserves after 9 years it hasn't come close to happening. Even if he did, it would be a fraction of the total roster.
  3. The idea of Ash traveling in old regions without his old Pokemon or companions isn't appealing. It wasn't fun in the Battle Frontier.
  4. He has a much better reason to challenge old gym leaders in an AU. Could he challenge the Elite Four instead? Not before the very end, so it wouldn't have much to do with the actual journey.
  5. The original Ash could still appear in movies and maybe the plot would actually be relevant to his story.
  6. I'd rather that Go and Ash be on an equal footing as advertised, rather than having to pretend that they are. If Ash's profile doesn't mention his being the Alola Champion, it might as well not be a fact anymore.
I agree that Masters will probably be represented to some degree. You kind of have to think of it the other way around. Development for the new series started before Masters, so Masters was probably shaped partially by how they were expecting the anime to turn out. You can see the parallel of having both Masters and the new series seemingly celebrate the entire franchise; Masters with older characters and PM with older regions (and probably characters). Masters might even advertise the anime as much as the anime advertises it.

Honestly, I like what I've been seeing. If this is an AU, I think it will still be great based on the art and characters they've shown. I'm definitely still leaning on a continuation due to the amount of evidence, but I'm not as terrified of a potential reboot as I was before. That said, I'll respond to your six points:

1. Exactly, that's why taking his battles to an international scale using his full team of Pokemon is the logical next step. It's not like we're pulling this out of thin air, the new series promises the globe trotting. You just have to put 2 and 2 together. A better question is why would a rebooted Ash travel to regions at such a fast pace? Is he getting badges that fast? The whole point of a reboot would be to nerf Ash, so I don't think he would be so skilled in that case.
  2. His full team of reserves has been shown as recently as 2013, and his Kanto reserves appeared in SM. In contrast, Pokemon he used at the end of Jhoto (2002) were featured after 8 years in the Sinnoh League (2010). Even with rotation though, I'm sure some of them would get the short end of the stick.
  3. It's still entirely possible if not likely that old companions will return in their respective regions. Even Misty returned in BF for a while. I think Battle Frontier's biggest failing is not showing off the Kanto Region enough, but from what I've seen this new series won't have that problem.
  4. No one wants to see Ash battle all the Gyms again. If they were going to do a badge quest, they might as well have just situated the series in Galar. And if he's facing the Elite Four, it would make sense for it to be current Ash, someone who as already proven their strength and beaten a league. Current Ash could travel to each region and fight the Elite Four right off the bat, giving us something different than just gym battles.
  5. I had that thought too, but I think it would be too confusing to a younger audience to have two simultaneous running timelines of the same character. And if they were going that route, why switch them? I thought M20/M21 were great.
  6. I don't really know if they have been advertised to be on equal footing. If this is a continuation, then I'm sure his title will have a heavy impact on the story, unlike BF which was swept under the rug. Even so, Ash doesn't have a big ego so it's in his character if he doesn't bring it up every ten seconds.

Also am I remembering wrong, or did Cynthia state that you needed to beat a league in your "home region" before you can challenge the Elite Four of another. I always thought that was weird, but it's likely just a mistranslation. This could potentially tie into the theory of Ash returning to Kanto to challenge the Indigo League though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom