• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the lack of game characters, I am glad that they are using their own characters. They can now create the characters that they want to create and not have to adapt game characters or alter their backgrounds to have them fit in.

I agree! I think this gives them a lot more freedom to make a full personality for the character and goal, without them having to deal with the limitations of potential backstory or base personality from the games. I think Go, Koharu, and Professor Sakuragi will really benefit by not being tied down to personality traits already established from another media, especially Go and Koharu. They can also do their character development progression differently.

So anyone have any hopes and whatnot with Koharu?

I am definitely hoping she is in the main cast, as it does seem like she is. I don't think I mind her going back to being the more sassy kind of characters like Misty and Iris has been in the past, but I definitely want her personality to differ a bit more from that, instead of how Iris who was almost a virtual copycat to Misty, and I want them to make sure she has more of a goal for traveling. Seeing how she and Go are childhood friends, I really want to see that dynamic.

I agree! I think this gives them a lot more freedom to make a full personality for the character and goal, without them having to deal with the limitations of potential backstory or base personality from the games. I think Go, Koharu, and Professor Sakuragi will really benefit by not being tied down to personality traits already established from another media, especially Go and Koharu. They can also do their character development progression differently.

I am definitely hoping she is in the main cast, as it does seem like she is. I don't think I mind her going back to being the more sassy kind of characters like Misty and Iris has been in the past, but I definitely want her personality to differ a bit more from that, instead of how Iris who was almost a virtual copycat to Misty, and I want them to make sure she has more of a goal for traveling. Seeing how she and Go are childhood friends, I really want to see that dynamic.
in other words... M21 as an anime.

in other words... M21 as an anime.
Well, I am not sure how the general public felt about them, but I thought M20 and M21 especially really benefitted from having a cast of anime/movie exclusive characters. M21 can easily fit into my Top 5 favorite Pokemon Anime movies, maybe even Top 3. All the characters had tons of progression in the story, and each had their own distinct personality. It wasn't just about Ash and it really helped flesh out the world. I like seeing a focus on characters who are not necessarily Pokemon trainers.

So personally, if they make sure that Go and Koharu get as much focus on development as Ash does, I can see this anime being a big hit for me.

Well, I am not sure how the general public felt about them, but I thought M20 and M21 especially really benefitted from having a cast of anime/movie exclusive characters. M21 can easily fit into my Top 5 favorite Pokemon Anime movies, maybe even Top 3. All the characters had tons of progression in the story, and each had their own distinct personality. It wasn't just about Ash and it really helped flesh out the world. I like seeing a focus on characters who are not necessarily Pokemon trainers.

So personally, if they make sure that Go and Koharu get as much focus on development as Ash does, I can see this anime being a big hit for me.
All characters in M21 had great character development... except for Ash and Team Rocket. The TRio were just... there, they might as well be a the film's original villains, and Ash was just shoehorned in to such a degree that if they weren't in the film, then I'm sure it would've been the best film for anyone who is already tired of Ash and the TRio.

How are they going to flesh Ash and the TRio out for this new series, when it clearly looks like it wants to be a completely new series entirely? This makes it look like it has an identity crisis, it doesn't know what it's suppose to be about anymore. Once it was for the games, but now since Go, it has become for the franchise as a whole. No doubt the old Gym Leaders, E4 and Champions will appear in the series, but how they will do it is beyond all of us.

I hope she has a personality similar to Webby's from Ducktales (the reboot, not the original).
I hope not. The new Webby is such a mary sue that can do everything without any real flaws, making other characters like Scrooge, Donald or Darkwing Duck look like a joke. Plus she has this really, really annoying voice where it sounds like she screams all of her lines. So, please, for the love of Arceus, do not make the new girl like another Webby or Star Butterfly-ripoff. I'm sick of these modern girl stereotypes. I rather would have a no girl if this would be the case.

Last edited:
I hope not. The new Webby is such a mary sue that can do everything. Making other characters like Scrooge, Donald or Darkwing Duck look like a joke. Plus she has this really, really annoying voice where it sounds like she screams all of her lines. So, please, for the love of Arceus, do not make the new girl like another Webby or Star Butterfly-ripoff. I'm sick of these modern girl stereotypes. I rather would have a no girl if this would be the case.
Plus WE are NOT the main target audience who gets the say, since TPCi never listens to us... it's the kids. Most importantly Japanese Kids. Pokemon is Japanese First and Foremost, which makes me feel like it should've stayed there. Going outside of Japan is where it started dropping, starting with Gen 5 which, although better than Gen 4 was the High Noon before the descent.

Sorry if I sound so negative here, but it makes sense when you look deeply into it.

Diamond and Perl was also the last anime I really enjoyed. But I have to say, S&M came pretty close. Best Wishes sucked because it didn't have an identity on its own and XY sucked because it didn't felt like Pokémon, but more like a shipping-drama show like Star vs. the Forces of Evil (which btw is one of the worst written animated shows I ever came across).

Diamond and Perl was also the last anime I really enjoyed. But I have to say, S&M came pretty close. Best Wishes sucked because it didn't have an identity on its own and XY sucked because it didn't felt like Pokémon, but more like a shipping-drama show like Star vs. the Forces of Evil (which btw is one of the worst written animated shows I ever came across).
Yeah it seems like the true Pokemon series ended after Diamond and Pearl (Gen 4), when the series was based on Japan. It's when it began going international that it started to decline gradually over time. Plus some of the original people that worked on the first 4 Gens have either left, retired or passed on.

XY sucked because it didn't felt like Pokémon, but more like a shipping-drama show like Star vs. the Forces of Evil
I'd like to state that you're seriously wrong here, but whatever... I doubt I can change your mind and I'm tired of trying to anyway.

As for tomorrow's anime related news... I don't expect anything substantial. At best they'll tell us more about Sakuragi and Koharu and nothing more.

Stumbling about in the whimsical place of 4Chan led me to this:

This is from the recent CoroCoro issue and I don't know if this will mean anything but could this mean that this new series will get a manga to go with it? Or is me and my big ol' brain looking into this too much?

Ash looks decent but Pikachu and Go look bad. It seems like it's a new manga, as the blurb says something about Following Ash and Go's adventures on Corocoro. Also, Dogasu said that a new Pocket Monsters manga will start there on November.

Now, I want to talk about Masters and the reboot...Neither are confirmed or even hinted at. Masters takes places in Pasio, not around the world, and we've seen ZERO focus on past gym leaders and characters in the promotional material, they could only focus on the locations if they wanted. And about the reboot, the SM series and its apparent lack of graduation for Ash shown that they are becoming more flexible with Ash's goal, and we still don't know what he'll exactly do. Also, the poster contains lots of nostalgic Pokémon that seem to be pandering to fans of that series: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Togepi, Croagunk, Piplup, the Unova starters, Greninja, Rowlet...I doubt they'd bait and switch fans of those series with new members of that species (they've done it in the past but not to this scale).

Anyway, I think Koharu could own a Cramorant. It would go well with her navy style and could provide some gags.

I can see Koharu taking a more supportive role and be a possible love interest for Gou. Somehow I'm picturing a dynamic similar to Roll and Mega Man Volnutt from Mega Man Legends. She will mostly be used for transportation and tech stuff (being the daughter of a professor). On the other hand, the fact that they mentioned she was 10 gives me traveling companion vibes.

Also I think the reason we're only seeing original characters is because we've only been shown characters situated around Kanto. I'm sure all the Galar characters will show up in their home region.

I can see Koharu taking a more supportive role and be a possible love interest for Gou. Somehow I'm picturing a dynamic similar to Roll and Mega Man Volnutt from Mega Man Legends. She will mostly be used for transportation and tech stuff (being the daughter of a professor). On the other hand, the fact that they mentioned she was 10 gives me traveling companion vibes.

Also I think the reason we're only seeing original characters is because we've only been shown characters situated around Kanto. I'm sure all the Galar characters will show up in their home region.
Except we might not see them, as I think that Kanto will overshadow everything else.

All characters in M21 had great character development... except for Ash and Team Rocket. The TRio were just... there, they might as well be a the film's original villains, and Ash was just shoehorned in to such a degree that if they weren't in the film, then I'm sure it would've been the best film for anyone who is already tired of Ash and the TRio.

Ash wasn't mean't to get development in M21. He was the catalyst for the development of the rest of the cast, which is a good role for him these days.

Well I'm really happy a girl finally got introduced, I really hope she is a part of the adventures and doesn't sit at this home base. I also really hope she has something interesting she is passionate about (and please not be passionate about a boy-we really don't need romance, I didn't completely hate it the one time, but we don't need it again). It took me a minute to notice her flower hair piece, but I think that's really cute, I think her design is good, not too "bland" for some, but not to overdone for those of us that prefer "bland". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't her name is quite similar to Haruka? Meaningless, but similar name to my fav is a plus. Also, I feel the art style does look a whole lot better than last time.

I don't see the rest of this announcement as giving me confidence that I will like this series as much as I was hoping I would. Even with adventure returning, it does appear that traveling may not return. I don't think this was an overly popular thing, but to me it was one of my favorite aspects in OS-XY. For one, each episode started where the last one ended, and even in filler, there were little bits of stuff that made it important to watch in order. A lot of bonding between characters occurred in traveling, a lot of unique places were created, and it had the ability to be just a 20 second part of an episode, or create entire interesting episodes. SM, on the other hand, barely has to be watched in order at all, and this series is giving me that vibe too. I really hope they don't go this route, but I could see them just being in Kanto at the end of one episode, then Unova at the beginning of the next, etc and each episode (or a few) just having a self-contained plot. Also, having this "home base" kind of takes away some of the bonding aspect the characters get when they have to camp out and rely on each other traveling. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't feel optimistic about this aspect. Not to mention, its Kanto again, good lord I'm so incredibly sick of Kanto. In game, it is literally the most boring region in existence, and it is so overdone and shoved down our throats, when they have made so many better and more interesting locations (not to mention a brand new one that looks really cool that we are likely to get less anime time for than any other).

I feel like, while this won't technically be a reboot, that we will have next to no references to past and that we will revisit areas we have been before and they won't look the same at all (similar to Cerulean Gym). Again I hope I'm wrong, its just the feeling I am getting.

Otherwise, I am feeling a bit better about the series, I think I will enjoy it more than SM, but I still have a ton of questions. I miss the days when I just watched the first episode of the new series knowing nothing about it, but I can't help but look at new info these days when I know its available.

Last edited:
and more details to be revealed today! I don't think it is a reboot and likely a continuous after SM. And can't wait to revisit all regions in the past including Galar region! Can't wait for English version too!

As I know, the new info supposed to be shown today has already been revealed over at Twitter. As these will be simple images, all of the visuals are currently known.

And one of the images, supposedly of the professor's lab looks like an awful realistic mockup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom