• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly, the strongest evidence of an AU is the movie logo. I'd be surprised if it meant nothing, which would be the case in the event of a brand new continuity.
My take on the logo is that it was always intended to be the new anime logo. While it was first used in M20, I'm guessing that they were planning this series since 2017 and the logo was made for it in the first place. You could say that M20 and M21 belong to the "Pocket Monsters 2019" era of the show, even though they preempted the series by a couple years. M23 will probably use the same logo but have a different continuity as well.

They didn't use the logo for Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution which was set in the main continuity. Or at least wasn't explicitly in a different one. I also feel like, if they were going to make a new logo for the entire anime, they would have debuted it in Sun&Moon since it premiered not too long before they started working on I Choose You!

I'm kind of with Silktree on this one-- the fact that it's the exact same logo makes me suspicious. Even if it was the same logo but colored green like all of the past series I wouldn't put as much stock in it. And while I'm not completely sold on the idea and think it would be a bad route for the show to take it's hard to ignore. I mean, maybe they liked it so much they wanted to use it for the tv series as well? But the absence of a subtitle is suspicious as well.

He is bound to meet them regardless of the continuity.

I should clarify-- if it's a brand-new continuity I want them to show us him meeting them for the first time. Show us them deciding to follow him. It could be a complete rehash of EP002 or something entirely new. I just didn't like how they never crossed paths in M20 and suddenly in M21 he knew who they were. Regardless of M21's relation to M20 it was clearly not the main continuity so it was disappointing they just kind of...knew each other.

Question connected to the anime (SM related as well): Not a necessary question but... how come whenever they talk, it is the male characters that show off their uvulas, whilst with female characters they hardly ever show it? The only female characters I've seen doing it are Jessie and Kiawe's sister. I'm asking this just out of curiosity, as this is something never discussed. Could it be because they tend to be very loud or talk too much. Don't woman do so as well? Or could it be because male voice boxes are naturally bigger than women's.

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for things to talk about here, huh?

They didn't use the logo for Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution which was set in the main continuity. Or at least wasn't explicitly in a different one. I also feel like, if they were going to make a new logo for the entire anime, they would have debuted it in Sun&Moon since it premiered not too long before they started working on I Choose You!
I honestly think MSB: Evolution is an outlier here. It doesn't make sense to try and group it with the new anime when it's a remake of a movie from the old anime. It's the equivalent of the LGPE games, which themselves aren't treated as proper Pokemon RPGs. Now I obviously don't have proof to back this up, but this is how I see it in my head...

2016 - SM airs. At this point I believe they were still planning on making SM movies instead of the AU ones we got. At this point the new logo hadn't been made yet. I think the Naganadel arc could be evidence of a potential reworked movie plot. The first SM movie was originally planned to feature Ash meeting up with past companions and going on an adventure to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

2017 - Original SM movie idea is scrapped for "I Choose You". I believe this might be the point where the idea for the new series originated as a possible reworking of the original 20th anniversary movie idea. The new logo is designed to represent the new phase of the Pokemon anime and is used for M20 as the first official release of this new era.

Basically I'm pretty sure the SM anime was already underway by the time they designed the new logo and planned to reinvent the series, hence using a more standard logo. While M20 was the first release of this new era of the anime, I don't think the new logo was ever meant to belong solely to it.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see

More likely then them doing something like Brexit
please let us keep politics to a minimum okay, they're more trouble than they're worth.

Perhaps M20 and M21 were the pilots for the new series or what is to come for it's 20th Year.

It's still a show for kids (with boys being the focus, sorry to say), so I wouldn't call it a revamp. As for the manga, the Clefairy one should never have been called Pocket Monsters to begin with (it's too misrepresentative). I don't know how the new manga will stand out compared to previous adaptations of the anime, which petered out after AG.

Admittedly, the continuity is less important than how they tackle Go's goal. We know what to expect from Ash.

Last edited:
It's still a show for kids (with boys being the focus, sorry to say), so I wouldn't call it a revamp.
That does not excuse the fact that it is part of a revamping faze. In marketing, in anime, games, manga, everything Pokemon related for the next decade of 2020.

As for the manga, the Clefairy one should never have been called Pocket Monsters to begin with (it's too misrepresentative).

Wasn't Clefairy supposed to be the first Pokemon Ash got before that was changed to Pikachu? Also the anime comic petered out after DP.

The DP adaptation only had two volumes and wasn't very faithful to the anime.

And I think it's too early to say much about marketing. It's just minimal so far, but the games are playing it safe outside of Dexit.

I still think that people are overthinking about the logo. I can understand finding the use of the logo suspicious since it has been used for the two AU movies, but at the same time, I don't think it's that big of a sign either or makes the idea of a reboot that much more likely. Granted, the information we have about the upcoming series is pretty minimal as it is, but nothing about it really gives off a reboot vibe to me.

I still think that people are overthinking about the logo. I can understand finding the use of the logo suspicious since it has been used for the two AU movies, but at the same time, I don't think it's that big of a sign either or makes the idea of a reboot that much more likely. Granted, the information we have about the upcoming series is pretty minimal as it is, but nothing about it really gives off a reboot vibe to me.
I never said it will be a reboot, just a revamp.

Also the quietness is due to marketing and trying to make this new Pokemon game as your first adventure, as stated by one person on a video. Even if it means not showing the starter's evolution of what Pokemon is not in the games, they are trying to make the games more international and fix up the mess that was SM and past games reveals, since they feel like they've revealed too much. Even before Gen 6 when the games first came out in Japan.

Reading the Past 10 Pages of this thread its basically everyone saying the same thing in a different coat of paint lol.

x says that the new anime will be a reboot
y says that the new anime won't be a reboot
z complains about the lack of info given
And then there's always the person who is always optimistic.

The first city in the game turns out is based on Manchester, and if so, then the second one is Birmingham and the third London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom