• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this talk of Dyna/Giganta, I recall a recent tweet from Iwane where he stated that old Gyms need to be improved to accomodate Dyna/Giganta.

So, my friend just reminded me that Professor Oak's Japanese VA died, and well, Japan is known for respecting their VAs so them creating the new anime Professor does make sense.

Except Oak has a new voice actor who replaced the late Ishizuka (and, as far as I'm aware, the new guy hasn't passed away), so that can't be the reason they made a new anime-original Professor.

Aren't Gigantamax Forms are limited to Gym Battles? If so, I don't think the TRio will get one.

That's... not entirely true. Dynamaxing also happens in the Wild Area (in those Max Raid spots) and, if I remember correctly, GF stated (either in the Pokémon Direct that revealed it or somewhere else) that the Gym Stadiums happen to have been built in places that make Dynamaxing possible, so there could be more spots that facilitate Dynamaxing.

So, theoretically, the TRio could use G-maxing. But that's assuming that:
a) Galar will receive some substantial focus in the new series, since that's the only place where Dynamaxing happens (as far as we know);
b) That Dynamaxing and G-maxing will be featured and play a prominent role in the new series;

I imagine Ash will Gigantamax Pikachu at least once. I can't see that not happening. But I'm keeping my expectations low on any of the new SwSh related features being given decent screen time in this series considering we barely know anything about how much we'll be seeing of Galar or if Ash will even be challenging gyms...

Oh no...

don't... don't tell me that if Ash Gigantamaxes his Pikachu that I've gotta put up with that voice in the anime as well. It sounds so laughably bad.

Pikachu Gigantamaxes for the first time

Ash: Island of Giant Pokemon Flashbacks

Okay, but I wonder; are we gonna have a scene where the first time Pikachu wins a battle while gigantamaxed it tries to jump into Ash's arms to give him a hug and flattens the poor kid?
We've had him being huge (or Ash tiny) before but that's never stopped a joke before, and Ash getting hurt by his team's been a recurring joke since Kanto.

Okay, but I wonder; are we gonna have a scene where the first time Pikachu wins a battle while gigantamaxed it tries to jump into Ash's arms to give him a hug and flattens the poor kid?
We've had him being huge (or Ash tiny) before but that's never stopped a joke before, and Ash getting hurt by his team's been a recurring joke since Kanto.

That would be funny to see, I still fondly remember Bayleef doing it soon after she evolved, forgetting her size

That would be funny to see, I still fondly remember Bayleef doing it soon after she evolved, forgetting her size
There's a big difference between Bayleef/Snorlax doing it and a Dynamax'd Pokemon... unless you love the sound of crunching bones and bodies popping under intense weight and pressure, with instant blood puddle formation.

On a serious note, am I the only one not a fan of Gigantamax'd Pikachu and Charizard designs? Or Gigantamax in general? Seems like a budget Mega Evolution, they should have continued MEs.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between Bayleef/Snorlax doing it and a Dynamax'd Pokemon... unless you love the sound of crunching bones and bodies popping under intense weight and pressure, with instant blood puddle formation..

True but this is the anime where these sort of injuries don't occur

I like to think that humans in the Pokemon world are stronger than normal

There's a big difference between Bayleef/Snorlax doing it and a Dynamax'd Pokemon... unless you love the sound of crunching bones and bodies popping under intense weight and pressure, with instant blood puddle formation.
Pokémon runs off cartoon physics most of the time. From that perspective there really isn't a difference. Ash would have died or suffered permanent damage from one of Pikachu's shocks long ago otherwise.

Last edited:
Pokémon runs off cartoon physics most of the time. From that perspective there really isn't a difference. Ash would have died or suffered permanent from one of Pikachu's shocks long ago otherwise.
Or even Team Rocket... Wait hang on! How come is it that Pokemon Hunter J perished by either drowning or the explosion in Lake Valor, and yet the TRio can survive something similar, if not a worse fate?

There's something wrong here.

Or even Team Rocket... Wait hang on! How come is it that Pokemon Hunter J perished by either drowning or the explosion in Lake Valor, and yet the TRio can survive something similar, if not a worse fate?

There's something wrong here.
A lot of shows that use cartoon physics will selectively turn them off for drama.
For instance in the second movie when Team Rocket thought falling off Lugia and hitting the ice would kill them when the numerous blast offs before and since never did.
I believe Tad Stones (who worked on among other things some of Disney's 90s cartoons) has commented on it before.

Last edited:
I wish we would get more information about what Satoshi's goal will be in Kanto. At the moment there is only information about the new guy. I hope Satoshi won't just tag along for the ride just because he can. If that is the case wouldn't it make him a side character and the new guy the main character? Not that I'm against the idea of a new main character but why keep Satoshi around if he has already won the league and doesn't have a new goal? Are Satoshi and Pikachu just marketing tools now?

All the Kanto pandering has made me give up on this generation entirely.

It's going to be 90% Kanto at the expense of everything else.
Agreed, this is how I expect Nostalgia should be used. Instead of remakes, you should look deep into it's heart and how it worked, and then use that for a completely new series. Say you look at what make The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and The Lion King and see what made them work, and then use that formula in like an animated film based on Ancient Egypt or something. The problem with others like The Princess and the Frog is that they tried something completely different and new with a formula that seemed partially out of touch from the heart of other past films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom