• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, both this new series and Sword+Shield are being very oddly tight-lipped. It seems to be getting more in marketing nowadays from what I've seen and I'm pretty tired of it, too.

Well, at least with Sword and Shield, it somewhat makes sense why they're not revealing that much, considering the reactions to Sun and Moon's overabundant marketing. But I really don't understand why they're being so secretive with the anime. It's not like a trailer could spoil important stuff from the games or something, since, considering that it's gonna take place around the world, they'd probably have hours worth of material that is unrelated to Gen 8 (outside of things that have already been revealed, like Scorbunny, Yamper and the worst invention ever conceived Rotom Phone). So why not make a trailer focusing on the non-Galar portion of the series? Like Kanto... and Johto... and Kanto, again... and probably some more Kanto... and even more Kanto... oh, and let's not forget about Kanto (joking aside, I'm sure that they've got enough scenes for at least a teaser trailer, so give us one already, darn it!).

I think after 20 years what actually sells merchandise is the wonder of the new region regardless of the media. And so there should be a maximum focus on the new region.
I play go every day and I'm sure it makes a lot of money for niantic and tpc, but I never bought merchandise because I had seen a pokemon in go. It's a really simple game to pass time, but it's basically you walking in a neighbourhood that never changes. Whether in the games or in the anime, I just want to discover the new region and then I will buy merchandize. I love kanto but it is a love that is 20 years old and doesn't make me wanna buy stuff.
After several years of visiting Pokemon Stores and checking online....I'm genuinely curious what the anime is selling. Almost all the merch is focused on the pokemon or the game characters. The closest merch I've seen about Ash is the Ash-hat Pikachus and the Pokemon Trainer figurine. I have not seen Misty, I have not seen Brock, I have not seen Gary, no Oak, no May, Dawn, Iris, or Serena unless it is their game character identities. The most highly promoted merch is one of the following: the cutest pokemon plush that year (like Alolan Vulpix), limited collectibles (i.e., Pikachu in different clothing), Eeveelutions, or whatever is the new theme of the store (i.e., Easter theme with pastel colorations and new releases of grass and fairy pokemon). Heck, I don't think Greninja or Charizard was ever promoted that much for plush merch - Froakie and Charmander receive much more attention - and Alolan Vulpix was promoted way before the Sun and Moon anime was even announced. Heck, Mew was hardly in the anime at all and Mew merch sells out.

After several years of visiting Pokemon Stores and checking online....I'm genuinely curious what the anime is selling. Almost all the merch is focused on the pokemon or the game characters. The closest merch I've seen about Ash is the Ash-hat Pikachus and the Pokemon Trainer figurine. I have not seen Misty, I have not seen Brock, I have not seen Gary, no Oak, no May, Dawn, Iris, or Serena unless it is their game character identities. The most highly promoted merch is one of the following: the cutest pokemon plush that year (like Alolan Vulpix), limited collectibles (i.e., Pikachu in different clothing), Eeveelutions, or whatever is the new theme of the store (i.e., Easter theme with pastel colorations and new releases of grass and fairy pokemon). Heck, I don't think Greninja or Charizard was ever promoted that much for plush merch - Froakie and Charmander receive much more attention - and Alolan Vulpix was promoted way before the Sun and Moon anime was even announced. Heck, Mew was hardly in the anime at all and Mew merch sells out.
the anime animates and gives a personality to the pokemon and then you want to buy them a lot more. the anime brings the region to a whole new life, it's not just about anime exclusive characters.

Satoshi has decided to return to Masara Town. However, he can't quite bring himelf to telling the others... In addition, the time for the Rocket Gang to part ways with Mimikkyu and the others is rapidly approaching.

I would just like to say I read this wrong at first and was under the impression Ash just went back to Pallet Town without telling anyone in Alola...I was like "wow, that's very rude of him" :confused:

This does have me wondering if there's a direct connection to the new series in that last episode. Since the "homebase" is in Kanto, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the new professor popped up then.

From what I can tell there is a good amount of anime merch but it's pretty much all Japan-only. I've seen it on tumblr and personally saw some at Comic-con and a local market that had import stuff (I saw Jessie and James figures and 100% would have bought them if Meowth was there too).

Here's a thought, wonder if they'll bring up the GS ball when they visit Johto
It'd be amusing if they finally did something with that, but I suspect they won't.
Then again they've been breaking all the rules lately.

Last edited:
^ Speaking of the GS Ball...Despite the fact that they mention "all the Regions", I am not holding out hope that we'll see the Orange Islands, it would be super cool but I just can't see it happening. :(
Honestly until now I'd never even considered that possibility, and now I'm sort of sad it probably won't happen.

(I admit I actually really liked the OI arc, though at the time I think I remember it being unpopular for not being from the games?)

Last edited:
^ Speaking of the GS Ball...Despite the fact that they mention "all the Regions", I am not holding out hope that we'll see the Orange Islands, it would be super cool but I just can't see it happening. :(
I guess we can hope to finally learn what happened between Brock and Ivy.

And no. No Futa theories.

That's because the Orange Islands are less of a region and more busy work...

Hoping for an animated trailer this sunday! (but like someone said, it'll probably be reserved for Sun & Moon's final episode).

the anime animates and gives a personality to the pokemon and then you want to buy them a lot more. the anime brings the region to a whole new life, it's not just about anime exclusive characters.

From what I can tell there is a good amount of anime merch but it's pretty much all Japan-only. I've seen it on tumblr and personally saw some at Comic-con and a local market that had import stuff (I saw Jessie and James figures and 100% would have bought them if Meowth was there too).
Both are right in this.

There is a good amount of anime "exclusive" merchandise, but it is mainly directed towards Japan.

However, the most important for the anime is promote the Pokemon merchandise in general.

Videogames do not help much to promote the sales of other goods in a franchise. So, the anime is extremely important for merchandise sales.

PS: It's also important to mention that Japan is still the main buyer of Pokemon merchandise.

Just been reading this

Pokemon: Sun and Moon Anime Stuns with Latest Battle

That's probably why Pokemon: The Series, currently scheduled to premiere November 17th in Japan, is such a groundbreaking era of the series rebooting things by featuring every region in the franchise thus far instead of just the new region, Galar. Ash has already been a champion, so the scope of the anime has to change going forward.

Along with every region in the franchise, the new anime will have two protagonists. The new series will introduce Gou, designed by Pokemon character designer Ken Sugimori, who has a Scorbunny as his partner Pokemon and is also out to catch 'em all. So Ash won't be the only focus of the anime series going forward, and maybe might even be phasing out of the franchise in general now that he's achieved his goal of becoming champion.

Staff confirmed for the new series include Daiki Tomiyasu serving as chief director for OLM, Maki Odaira as series director, Kunihiko Yuyama as creative supervisor, Shoji Yonemura overseeing series construction, Shuhei Yasuda serving as character designer, Masafumi Mima as sound director, Yuki Hayashi as series composer, and Daiki Yamashita has been confirmed as the voice of Gou.

Just been reading this

Pokemon: Sun and Moon Anime Stuns with Latest Battle

That's probably why Pokemon: The Series, currently scheduled to premiere November 17th in Japan, is such a groundbreaking era of the series rebooting things by featuring every region in the franchise thus far instead of just the new region, Galar. Ash has already been a champion, so the scope of the anime has to change going forward.

Along with every region in the franchise, the new anime will have two protagonists. The new series will introduce Gou, designed by Pokemon character designer Ken Sugimori, who has a Scorbunny as his partner Pokemon and is also out to catch 'em all. So Ash won't be the only focus of the anime series going forward, and maybe might even be phasing out of the franchise in general now that he's achieved his goal of becoming champion.

Staff confirmed for the new series include Daiki Tomiyasu serving as chief director for OLM, Maki Odaira as series director, Kunihiko Yuyama as creative supervisor, Shoji Yonemura overseeing series construction, Shuhei Yasuda serving as character designer, Masafumi Mima as sound director, Yuki Hayashi as series composer, and Daiki Yamashita has been confirmed as the voice of Gou.
But didn't Ash state that becoming Champion is one step of becoming a Pokemon Master, or have the anime since thrown that out of the window? I guess we'll have to find out. However I am concerned that they won't showcase Galar to it's fullest, like a baby brother being overshadowed by his older siblings.

Comicbook and Screenrant have a habit of making these clickbait articles, they've made several of these "reboot" nonsense baits shit in the past with false information being crammed in them. They probably browse outlets like Reddit and Twitter for "information".

Don't take anything they spew at face value.

Really...? :bulbaFacepalm:
If that was indeed the case then Brock wouldn't have run away, not when he was responsible for raising all his siblings by himself.
Or it could be that Ivy told Brock that she isn't interested in him and instead is more interested in the Pokemon that she looks after.

After several years of visiting Pokemon Stores and checking online....I'm genuinely curious what the anime is selling.
Really? There is tons of anime-based merchandise.
I wonder if we'll ever see Kadabra, Jynx and Porygon again in the anime
Porygon appeared in SM20.

Okay guys. This conversation is both off topic and inappropriate, mainly due to the notion that Brock had sex and children with Professor Ivy. Even if that is said as a joke, that is still joking about an underage character having sex with an adult age character. Stop it. The tweet also doesn't provide any source to back up that claim, so I'd take it as a baseless rumor, especially when it was made almost a year ago.

I know that talking about the actual upcoming series can be frustrating due to the lack of information, but that does not mean it's okay to derail it with such an inappropriate discussion. Please get back on track with more appropriate on-topic discussions.

EDIT: After discussing the matter, the posts about the tweet and the topic itself have been deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom