• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it still made no sense, since Snivy was completely inexperienced, while Pikachu, even with limited moves at the time, had four regions' worth of experience behind him.
How do we know Snivy was "completely inexperienced", though? For all we know it was given to a new trainer, but it is never specified that those Pokémon were recently born, or never trained. In order to improve Leaf Tornado, you need to train. And there have been several starter Pokémon in the show who rejected their trainers or their trainers rejected them and they returned back to the professor. They have trained less or more.

But it still made no sense, since Snivy was completely inexperienced, while Pikachu, even with limited moves at the time, had four regions' worth of experience behind him.
I doubt that Snivy was inexperienced given how it knew Leaf Tornado, and we've seen several starters like Ash's Froakie that have trained by themselves at labs.
Pikachu still had Quick Attack and Iron Tail but was easily defeated, it just seems a warning to fans that Pikachu is miserably weak during B&W
Even without electricity Pikachu should have simply been too fast and too skilled for a newbie Snivy to land a blow or dodge once they realize something's up and use a non-electric move.
Pikachu and his clones are directly dependent on the amount of electricity naturally stored in their body, as shown when Dawn's Pachirisu became sick due to the lack of electricity in it's body. Zekrom zapping Pikachu's electricity could have had a direct negative parallel effect on its endurance and stamina as well.

Thankfully they didn't repeat that nonsense in XY and SM. Also, Trip got his comeuppance by being knocked out in the first round in almost every tournament he's competed in.

I really hate how some people still use Pikachu's loss to Snivy as an excuse to make Ash look like a bad Trainer.
Ash is and always will be a meme failure to a part of the game fanbase, no matter what happens. Even after he won the Alola league I saw people saying he should be replaced because he never evolves anything. It's popular in some places to compare him to Youngster Joey.

This immediately gave me the idea that they would be constantly traveling back and forth from their home base to different regions.
Something tells me that they'll pull a Thomas & Friends and they'll jump from region to another in no specific order.

The most recent seasons (Big World! Big Adventures which also is focuses on going around the world) have been doing this so one episode would be based in a specific country and the next on Sodor. I could see this being the same thing: One episode in Kanto, then randomly the next in Galar and then Unova then Kanto than Kalos and so on and so fourth...

Ash is and always will be a meme failure to a part of the game fanbase, no matter what happens. Even after he won the Alola league I saw people saying he should be replaced because he never evolves anything. It's popular in some places to compare him to Youngster Joey.
To be fair, most of the memes and negativity around Ash began thanks to BW and it even affects the anime till today. If it weren't for BW, we wouldn't have the "10 year old", "losing to Snivy", "losing skills", "losing to a dumbass" and "reset" memes and shit.

To be fair, most of the memes and negativity around Ash began thanks to BW and it even affects the anime till today. If it weren't for BW, we wouldn't have the "10 year old", "losing to Snivy", "losing skills", "losing to a dumbass" and "reset" memes and shit.
This is sort of hard to prove twenty years later, since old websites and forums have vanished, but he got tons of hate on the internet even during the original series run.

Part of it was bleed-over dislike for the show itself (people wanted it to be closer to the games or more serious), though even in the show fanbase a lot of people had a general "Ash is dragging the show down" opinion (especially from certain parts of Team Rocket's fanbase). "Not evolving his Pokémon" was a big common complaint about him pretty much since he decided to let Pikachu choose for itself, something people still hated him for during DP's run. A lot of people wanted him to just be Red--in other words an undefeated champion with zero personality.

All that said the positive reaction to Alola suggests it was something of a vocal minority in retrospect. It will be interesting to see if any future major accomplishments get that much attention, like if he wins the Galar league.

A lot of people wanted him to just be Red--in other words an undefeated champion with zero personality.
And zero flaws. Some people just don't seem to understand that too flawless characters can be really boring. That's why I personally dislike fanfics where Ash is portrayed as an unstoppable powerhouse.

That's because they have TWO thread about SS while we have an all purpose one! :D

How do we know Snivy was "completely inexperienced", though? For all we know it was given to a new trainer, but it is never specified that those Pokémon were recently born, or never trained. In order to improve Leaf Tornado, you need to train. And there have been several starter Pokémon in the show who rejected their trainers or their trainers rejected them and they returned back to the professor. They have trained less or more.

But probably less training than the Latios Pikachu had tied with just a few "days" before. Snivy was only the most exaggerated example, but there are tons of examples of Pikachu's defense/stamina varying wildly. Pikachu had just tanked a bunch of crazy powerful moves from a legendary Latios, so regardless of his offensive ability for that particular battle, it should have at the very least taken a lot longer for Snivy to knock him out. Even if Zekrom is the excuse for all of this, and Zekrom not only caused Pikachu to not use electric moves, but also lose vast amounts of stamina, the writers certainly should have known better that this was going to really piss people off (granted there are a lot of things about BW they should have known would piss people off). All they really had to do was make Trip not a beginner and this not be his first ever battle, problem solved, not only here, but improves their rivalry vastly (although he's still a wispy shadow of Paul).

Something tells me that they'll pull a Thomas & Friends and they'll jump from region to another in no specific order.

The most recent seasons (Big World! Big Adventures which also is focuses on going around the world) have been doing this so one episode would be based in a specific country and the next on Sodor. I could see this being the same thing: One episode in Kanto, then randomly the next in Galar and then Unova then Kanto than Kalos and so on and so fourth...
Wow I really hope not, I really hope some aspect of traveling returns, where there is at least some level of challenge in getting around some of the time, and that episodes lead into and relate to one another.

On a separate note, i'm getting a little worried that Koharu is just going to be at the lab most of the time and not be a big part of the adventures, because of the recent posters/whatever that merchandise was above. That would be fairly disappointing to me, because I'm hoping she will be a full member of the group and build relationships/dynamics with the others on a full-time basis, as well as grow while traveling and bond with new Pokemon. With all we know about Go, he is striking me as bland, and I'm not optimistic about his goal, so I was really hoping Koharu would get a little more limelight. Really, with everything that has been revealed, Go is probably the one thing I'm not excited about, if it wasn't for him, I think I would be massively excited about this new series and all the potential.

That being said, I'm still really excited. I think I've decided to watch subs consistently for the first time with this series (while still watching dub too). It may have taken really disliking the last series to finally be excited enough about the beginning of a new one (because I'm normally just sad about losing the old series), but I don't think I can wait until March to watch this, I'll just have to set aside enough time for me to do all my rewinding. I still don't want to get my hopes up too much over continuity, because even if it seems like it could happen, I still could see it not happening, but even without continuity we already have some great confirmations, like how Trio will be, as well as getting to see old regions and some adventure returning, so I have to admit I'm pretty excited on the whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom