• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see the point of that? What could they do for 10 weeks in one region? Travel through the whole region again? I mean I wouldn't mind that but they would have got to have something big planned. Otherwise, I'd prefer if they travel to the various regions on one off missions.
Jumping from one region to another without proper transitions or focus on (mini-)plots in any single region can become quite jarring though and can often break immersion.

Well... it is not like the female companions or companions in general, really did a lot in the anime. The most active characters were always Ash and TR, which is the reason why the anime never removed them from the series. Plus, I'm not really sure if another female character could really add something new to the table. The girls in the anime were kinda very similar to each other so far. Cute, slim, beautiful looking girls, that own cute Pokémon and were interested in cute things. Iris was probably the most unique and outstanding of the bunch, but even she is just way to close to the cutie girl template for all of the other female main characters.

If we get another female character, she has to be something we haven't seen before. A bratty girl, a silly girl, an action girl, a girl that is into sports, science, or arts, a girl that is maybe cold and a bit mean, but we can not have another cute one.

I've never understood this notion that the girls are that similar to each other. They do have some basic similar traits, but nothing to where I think that they're that similar to each other. Even Iris had some significant differences from Misty and she felt like the most blatant attempt at recreating a previous female lead. Not to mention both May and especially Dawn did a lot during their respective series. Saying that all of the girls were just cute girls who liked doing cute things just actively ignores their differences in both their storylines and their characterizations. Dismissing all of the girls as just being the cute ones just bothers me and gives off pretty sexist implications to me.

Anyway, I am happily surprised that we got a trailer for the new series. I thought that would take a bit longer. I'm glad that we can finally see the characters in motion and the art style still works. It looks like a more polished version of the SM art style, which works nicely. I'm also surprised that we are getting Pikachu's backstory. That's definitely a different way to start the series and it could lead into Ash meeting up with Go. I do hope that Koharu will still be the female lead, or at least that there will still be a female lead. I'm positive that they wouldn't just have the series be about Ash and Go considering that they do need to appeal to the female demographic.

I'm somewhat surprised that people really thought that this trailer confirmed a reboot. I thought that we could finally put that theory to bed after Olivia suggested for Ash to travel around the world in the recent SM episode. It seems like they're just going to have callbacks to the first episode based on Ash throwing his alarm clock in his sleep. He already has Pikachu and nothing about either the trailer itself or the narration gives off the impression that this is a fresh start. This panic/obsession with the new series being a reboot reminds me of how there was so much discussion on whether or not SM was a reboot during its first year. That didn't stop until Misty and Brock came back and even then, there were some people questioning if SM was still in the same continuity afterwards. That was seriously annoying and frustrating, so I hope that doesn't happen again with this series.

In my opinion it would be better to focus on one region for say 10 episodes and then go to another, instead of every episodes being in a diffrent region that would just get too messy for me.

Agreed, if we keep swapping regions each episode, it will be easy to lose track where they were

He’ll most likely remain in Alola.

So much for SM098 where Rotom wanted to stay with Ash to collect data

I think that there is a good chance for Rotom Dex to stick around in this series. I'm not sure if they could find a way to write it out at this point. They already had the perfect setup for Rotom Dex to leave earlier in SM and it chose Ash instead of becoming a part of its favorite TV show. It's possible that they didn't want to focus on it here since the main focus would be on Ash, his new friends and Pikachu's backstory.

I think that there is a good chance for Rotom Dex to stick around in this series. I'm not sure if they could find a way to write it out at this point. They already had the perfect setup for Rotom Dex to leave earlier in SM and it chose Ash instead of becoming a part of its favorite TV show. It's possible that they didn't want to focus on it here since the main focus would be on Ash, his new friends and Pikachu's backstory.

Which would make SM098 an even more pointless and in my opinion boring episode

Before we freak out over this being a reboot, look at Ash's clothes in the scene where he looks at the three Kanto starters. He is in his proper series outfit, unlike the scenes we see after where he is in his "classic" pajamas. The fact that we see him in his real clothes with Gou in Prof Oak's lab means the pajama scenes are all likely flashbacks, just like the Pichu scenes obviously are.

I've watched the trailer with subs

During the part with the Kanto starters, Professor Sakuragi is heard and seen saying

''You still haven’t received your first Pokemon debut, have you Go?''

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow72IMa3HaA

Gou: "I choose... Mew!"
Scorbunny:

dky3ltc6ch121.jpg

Also from the way Koharu is talking about Gou, lemme guess, she has a crush on him?

Actually upon watching the preview again, Pikachu is actually in the scene where Ash throws the clock across the room, so this can't be a flashback. I expect the start of the first episode to play out exactly like OS001 as more of an homage rather than a flashback. He has some reason to go to Oak's lab that morning but oversleeps yet again.

Last edited:
I was also shocked to see the trailer this morning; wasn't expecting that at all. At this point, I was fully prepared to have to wait until the special on the 10th.

But I did get serious movie vibes from watching that trailer! The animation looks fantastic. And I was delighted to see Ash pull a very SM-like face when he saw the starters! I was really hoping they'd keep some of that character from the previous series and combine it with new elements for this one. Based on the trailer, it seems that's what they're going for.

The fact that we're actually getting a Pikachu flashback episode is kind of amazing. Like I said, that's something I personally never thought about, but once the possibility was thrown out there, I was really into it. I live for characterization and backstory, and it's never really struck me that we didn't have much on Pikachu, who is the most prominent Pokemon in the cast. So it actually gives me a lot of confidence that the writers are choosing to explore that, because it is something different and interesting. To me, that means this series could really be a nice refresh but still be rooted in continuity.

That being said, I still don't believe this is a reboot. When I first watched the trailer, and saw the scene of Ash throwing the alarm clock with Pikachu next to him, I just assumed they were doing a callback to the first episode, which is actually quite a nice touch. Ash first receiving Pikachu came across to me as a flashback element, whether it's through a dream, him reminding Pikachu, or him telling Gou about when he got his first Pokemon.

We still don't know too much about the actual series plotwise, like how the traveling is going to work, but maybe that's what they want, at least for now. The trailer itself looked really nice and satisfied my desire to see the characters in action. I honestly keep getting more and more excited for this series with everything they show us, so it looks like all that torturous waiting in the beginning might have been worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom