• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the final evolutions of both Grookey and Sobble and they are really unique designs. Both are something we haven't seen before. Not every starter can be another Charizard or Greninja.

The only things we know so far:
  • Ash, Pikachu, and TR will return for this series.
  • Ash will travel the whole world together with Go.
  • Go wants to capture every Pokémon.
  • Mew plays a huge role in Go's story.
  • For the first time, we will have no female companion for this series.

For goodness shake, that hasn't been confirmed yet. I just really hate that people continue to present this notion that there won't be a female companion as a fact when we don't know that for sure yet. It's just so annoying and confusing as to why people are presenting speculation as fact for this detail. Ash and Go are the two characters on the promotional posters, but these are simply designed to get people interested in the series. By this same logic, Team Rocket shouldn't be in the new series, but they're going to be. There's no reason to think there won't be a female lead based on what we know thus far.

I also want to emphasize to keep video game leaks out of this thread. A lot of people don't want to look up leaks, especially as something as huge as starter evolutions, and I don't think people should be worried about coming across video game spoilers when they come into a thread discussing the new series. If you want to discuss the leaks, there is a thread for that in the video game section for that. Please avoid posting leaks here in the future.

Design wise Sobble feels like it could become something similar to Greninja (the type, color and posture). They have also described it as being sad so maybe it has a tragic backstory in the anime. It's nice to take a break from the fire curse for a while. :p

I hope Charizard won't overshadow the new Pokémon. It would be better to let Squirtle evolve and get some focus if they absolutely have to force the Kanto starters onto us. When I was a kid the Squirtle line was very popular. I remember being confused why they waited so long to show off Shigeru's Blastoise. Even though Origins was kind of lame at least they tried to give Charmander some kind of personal reason to surpass his rival (the uncomfortable biting scene :sick:).

I have two theories about the whole alarm clock scene in the trailer.

1. They are going to retcon it that Pikachu was sneaking around Ash's bedroom as a wild Pokemon in the first episode.

2. It's a callback happening in present time. I can imagine Ash going "NOT AGAIN!" :p

If there would be a female companion, they would have shown her already. I don't know why they would make such a big deal about her and keep her a secret. I think this will be really the first time we won't see a traditional female lead.

Last edited:
She has a school uniform, so obviously she is not a travelling trainer, she needs to attend school and can't follow much Ash and Go.

I agree that if there would be a traditional female lead, she would have been revealed by now. Also we saw Ash and Go on "important" scenes like on the back of a Lugia, why a potential third lead would be excluded from this.

So two options, no female companion at all or rotating female companion according to the region.

Not trying to spoil anything but I have personally changed my mind about Sobble. I hope it never evolves. Too bad since it has such a cute personality.

If there won't be a female protagonist and Koharu will only be a background character or Gou's love interest I'm going to be very disappointed. It would be a huge step backwards.

Not me. This series is going to be an utter continuity reboot BTW, so it's better off they try and name it something else.
Should I go into detail and dismantle this comment? Because it seems you didn't bother to check this thread for all the details proving it not being a reboot.

Last edited:
Not trying to spoil anything but I have personally changed my mind about Sobble. I hope it never evolves. Too bad since it has such a cute personality.

Lol I wouldn't mind if none of them evolves at this point.

Lol I wouldn't mind if none of them evolves at this point.

How dare you?! Grookey's final evolution is the most wonderful thing ever conceived and should be owned by a main characters, just so it would always grace us with its amazing looks and receive the proper attention that it deserves.

If there won't be a female protagonist and Koharu will only be a background character or Gou's love interest I'm going to be very disappointed. It would be a huge step backwards.
No! The Sobble fans are abandoning their boy!

I also want to emphasize to keep video game leaks out of this thread. A lot of people don't want to look up leaks, especially as something as huge as starter evolutions, and I don't think people should be worried about coming across video game spoilers when they come into a thread discussing the new series. If you want to discuss the leaks, there is a thread for that in the video game section for that. Please avoid posting leaks here in the future.

Is it OK if we put a spoiler tag on it?

How dare you?! Grookey's final evolution is the most wonderful thing ever conceived and should be owned by a main characters, just so it would always grace us with its amazing looks and receive the proper attention that it deserves.

I think Grookey's evolution is the best in terms of design but how will it be able to carry around that large drum? Feels like it would be difficult to have it walk around with the drum without looking awkward. I guess it might evolve at the end of the series but it would be a shame to repeat the same mistake that SM did with Incineroar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom