• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there would be a female companion, they would have shown her already. I don't know why they would make such a big deal about her and keep her a secret. I think this will be really the first time we won't see a traditional female lead this time.

That still doesn't make it confirmed information though. It is still speculation. I also still think that Koharu has at least a decent chance of being the female lead. Yeah, she's going to school, but I don't see why they'd give her a Yamper and a connection to Go if she was only going to appear whenever they come back from a journey to their homebase. For all we know, Koharu will slowly join Ash and Go on their adventures instead of being there right from the start. The idea of previous female leads showing up when they go to different regions probably isn't too likely, even though it is a cool idea, but I think that they'd do that before not having a female lead at all.

Besides all that, the whole "they would have revealed a female companion by now" logic just feels kind of shaky to me. They've kept details about the new series pretty close to the vest this time around. It took about two months to get an animated trailer for this new series and we still don't know a whole lot about the basic premise. Just because they haven't made it clear who the female lead is yet doesn't mean that there won't be one at all. I also still can't really see why they wouldn't have a female lead from a marketing perspective, especially when most of the other female leads tend to be pretty popular.

Emelie said:
Is it OK if we put a spoiler tag on it?

No it isn't. I don't really like that people are attempting to dance around the leaked starter evolutions by making comparisons with other starters or just making vague comments. Posting the evolutions in a spoiler tag without confirming if it was okay doesn't help matters either. It's just a major spoiler for a lot of people and I don't want to risk people running into the leaks here if they're trying to avoid them. Even with spoiler tags, I can see it getting out of hand and taking up too much attention in this thread. I understand why people are bringing it up in relation to the anime since they'll want to say whether or not they want any of the starters to evolve based on the leaks, but it just seems only slightly on-topic. If people want to talk about the leaked evolutions, then I think it would be better to do so in the Leak Thread as opposed to here, so please drop the starter evolution discussion.

Ok guys I would really like to ask everyone to stop talking about the leaks. Hidden Mew clearly told you all to cut it not too long ago. While on one hand I personally understand that everyone wants to talk about Pokémon associated with a new generation of the anime, these Pokémon are leaks, not official releases. Please respect those who want to remain spoiler free as much as possible, even if it's mentioning something like "the starter evos kinda look like this".

This thread is not the place to discuss leaks and share your opinion on them anyway, please go here if you want to do so.

Last edited:
Okay, then, back to the main subject.

So what do you think tomorrow's supposed "important announcement regarding the new anime series" is gonna be about? Some actual new information or just a recap of the trailer we got yesterday?

So what do you think tomorrow's supposed "important announcement regarding the new anime series" is gonna be about? Some actual new information or just a recap of the trailer we got yesterday?

Hopefully new information

Looking at an analysis video on youtube, a Farfetch'd was shown which might suggest my theory of a main character catching one to evolve in Galar is possible

Okay, then, back to the main subject.

Doubt it could be the same. In the past, the pre-Sunday information came from leaks whereas this time the pre-Sunday reveal was an official one without any leaks occurring.

Looking at an analysis video on youtube, a Farfetch'd was shown which might suggest my theory of a main character catching one to evolve in Galar is possible

Well, here's hoping that maybe Ash will get a Sirfetch'd. Though it might also go to Gou, since he wants to capture one of each Pokémon, but considering how much of a battler it's supposed to be, it should be Ash's (for obvious reasons).

Doubt it could be the same. In the past, the pre-Sunday information came from leaks whereas this time the pre-Sunday reveal was an official one without any leaks occurring.

Yeah, but we've also had stuff like Professor Sakuragi and his daughter being revealed earlier (which wasn't a leak, as far as I remember), with the Sunday "news" being just a recap of that, so you never know. Though I do hope it's something new.

Just over two weeks to go, I really hope we get a high episode count this series as if they're doing all 8 regions, they'll need far more than 140 episodes to fit everything in

FINALLY something animated!!! Some random thoughts:
  • Satoshi looks a bit different in animation than what I expected. Not bad or anything, just different
  • The Rocket trio, at least in that brief shot, looks identical to their Sun&Moon days. Perhaps it was just because it was a far-off shot but it looked straight out of a SM episode, I’m wondering if more close-up shots will look different.
  • Speaking of the Rocket trio that shot is from what I assume to be their motto. Even though it looks like a redrawn version of their SM motto it’s hard to say which one they use (personally I think they’ll either have a brand new one or once again return to the original, maybe switching off in different regions) but what’s interesting is how it’s not stylized. All of their stock mottos from BW onward have been heavily stylized but this looked like the rest of the trailer so it makes me think perhaps this series will return to form and finally ditch the overused stock mottos? Or at least use them much less frequently?
  • To open the can of continuity worms, I’ve only briefly skimmed peoples’ thoughts but there’s like zero chance this is the M20 continuity. Satoshi was wearing his regular clothes when meeting pikachu in that film and the supposed flashback of them in this episode looks to be a shot-for-shot remake of EP001. Him wearing his pajamas is also meaningless because he wore them in the last episode of BW. While the chance of a reboot is technically not impossible it seems like to hold on to that idea at this point is just being stubborn.
  • The BGM sounded nice but definitely different than what we’re used to, excited to hear more of the composer’s work!
  • The new opening sounds great as well and I can’t wait to hear it!
  • PIKACHU BACKSTORY PIKACHU BACKSTORY PIKACHU BACKSTORY
  • I think there’s a like 50/50 chance that new girl will eventually become a third member of Satoshi’s group

All in all very excited for this series to begin!

Would it really be that of a big deal if we will not get a traditional girl character?

Speaking of the Rocket trio that shot is from what I assume to be their motto. Even though it looks like a redrawn version of their SM motto it’s hard to say which one they use (personally I think they’ll either have a brand new one or once again return to the original, maybe switching off in different regions) but what’s interesting is how it’s not stylized. All of their stock mottos from BW onward have been heavily stylized but this looked like the rest of the trailer so it makes me think perhaps this series will return to form and finally ditch the overused stock mottos? Or at least use them much less frequently?
Miki did specifically mention the motto in this Animate interview. He said:
"そしてロケット団の登場の際には“お楽しみ”な部分があるので、こちらも注目していただけたらと思います。"

Which translates along the lines:
"Whenever Team Rocket appears there will be a fun bit to look forward to, I hope you'll pay attention to this."

Whether he's referring to the motto in general, or that the motto will change or FINGERS CROSSED that we are leaving the era of stock mottos behind, I think it's interesting that they have been referenced in particular with regard to the new anime.

Your observation about how un-stylised the footage we saw is gives me more hope! <3

I find it refreshing when the anime shows a different take on the characters choosing their starter pokemon. Like with XY when Ash didn't choose Froakie, but Froakie chose Ash. Gou refusing the Kanto starters because he wants Mew as his starter is a fresh take, even if he ends up with Scorbunny.

I'm wondering if Scorbunny would be like Froakie and choose Gou?

The Logo on The Right is the Galar League Logo. Its Drednaw VS Corviknight. Drednaw belongs to Nessa. Is this Ash Vs Nessa?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 3.59.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 3.59.09 PM.png
    936.3 KB · Views: 116
I am hoping that Pikachu's backstory both explains why it was a little asshole to Satoshi when they first met but, more importantly, I hope it leads to some kind of character development. Sure, Pikachu has like no unique personality save for a few sight gags, and it would be a bit odd to give it some now but I'd still love some real, genuine focus on the little guy that isn't all about how it doesn't want to evolve.

Can I also say I'm really enjoying the color palette they're using for the backgrounds? It gives this series a very distinct vibe that I'm all in favor of. This is also unlikely but I'm hoping the backgrounds are actually differentiated in each region. Alola was a breath of fresh air in ditching the generic forests but I want to see more. Make Hoenn feel more tropical and Sinnoh more like it's a northern/colder region. If Gold/Silver/Crystal can give Kanto and Johto different types of trees the anime can spring for a more diverse set of backgrounds.

Your observation about how un-stylised the footage we saw is gives me more hope! <3

The rare few times they've done non-stock mottos without trying to match the pre-existing footage (BW141, XY014, XY017, XY051, XY063, XY102, XY107, SM007, etc the fact I can count out a 6+ year span on two hands is depressing) it matched the regular artstyle, which is also how it always looked in earlier series, so it makes me hopeful that this curse is finally broken!

My ideal scenario is they manage to merge all of the previous mottos together into one, but I'd settle for anything as long as the footage is constantly updated.

If Ash eventually got a Galar Starter, I would like him to get Grookey. Ash's fire-type starters had a lot of personal focus, and Greninja wasn't too long ago. It's been a while since Sceptile for the major grass-type starter (since even in Sinnoh Chimchar overshadowed Turtwig). I'm not sure how much personal focus Rowlet got compared to Torracat in Alola, but it wouldn't hurt to see a main grass-type starter (and its journey to the final evolution) as the star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom