• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Ash meets Pikachu in the original anime, Professor Oak has a neutral and stern expression as the 10 year old was gushing over his first Pokemon. When we see things from Pikachu's point of view in the trailer, Oak has a more defined frown and is looking off to the side, as if he thinking, "Boy, you have no idea how much trouble this one gave me." Which means he will still be kind of a dick for not warning Ash about Pikachu's electrical powers until he is in the process of being shocked.

The anime isn't like that anymore. They are no longer promoting solely the new games, but rather the franchise as a whole.

I'm still not sure that they're just going to promote the franchise as a whole. Admittedly, it sounds more likely compared to something like the series not having a female lead, but it's still more of a theory than anything else. Even if they are going to be focus on franchise as a whole, I don't see them not giving Ash the newest Pokemon. Sword/Shield are still part of this franchise. If they weren't interested in promoting those games to some degree at least, then Go and Koharu wouldn't have Scorbunny and Yamper respectively. They'll still want to promote the newest starters and the best way to do that would be to give Ash at least one of them.

Interesting looking at the photos from the magazine. I see one shot of Gou with Professor Oak and a bunch of other kids, and he looks younger. The return of Professor Oak's summer camp, perhaps?

You can also see the two professors working together in one of the pictures on the lefthand page. So it definitely seems that they know each other. At first I was thinking the new professor was the one who initially knew Gou, but based on the first picture I mentioned, maybe it's actually Oak who does.

I'm also curious about the picture right above it, of Ash with the photo/poster of Professor Oak; wondering if it's another "flashback" to the first episode or something newer. He looks super cute in that shot, though!

Manga "based" on the anime, titled "[I/We] Love♡Pocket Monsters". A character named Mika is on the left with the Pikachu, Koharu is on the right with her Yamper.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1190825929087406085?s=20
View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1190826179873271809?s=20

Who the heck stole my character Mika and turned her clock back 14 years and gave her a Pikachu?

I wonder if maybe Koharu will have some sort of side story. They gave her a very memorable design so it definitely seems like she has some sort of significance. Maybe she has a side story where she's going to a Pokemon school.

It does seem like Ash and Go will lack a female companion this gen (unless they do some rotating one), so I hope Koharu does have some sort of side story. They need that female representation!

Just over two weeks to go, I really hope we get a high episode count this series as if they're doing all 8 regions, they'll need far more than 140 episodes to fit everything in
I don't know people think this series will be so short. The fact that it's simply called "Pocket Monsters" and that it isn't tied to a specific game practically guarantees that the series will run indefinitely. With such a loose template, new games and regions can be showcased within this series whenever they are released without having to start a new series. I honestly expect it to run until Ash finally outstays his welcome and they actually do a proper reboot with a new protagonist. If this was just another 3 year series they would have called it something like Pocket Monsters: World Tour, but reverting to the original series name implies finality to me. This is the final form of the Pokemon anime, at least with Ash as the main character.

That definitely looks like Professor Oak's summer camp. We even see young Ash and Gou. With all the Sylveon promotion were seeing I think we're going to get some foreshadowing for Serena's return. The line from the trailer where Oak tells Gou about Mew is probably a flashback to this event.

But I have to say, if they're casually riding around on Lugia like that then Mew is going to seem fairly mundane as a result.

I wonder if Mika (if she appears) ends up with Eevee.

I don't know people think this series will be so short. The fact that it's simply called "Pocket Monsters" and that it isn't tied to a specific game practically guarantees that the series will run indefinitely. With such a loose template, new games and regions can be showcased within this series whenever they are released without having to start a new series. I honestly expect it to run until Ash finally outstays his welcome and they actually do a proper reboot with a new protagonist. If this was just another 3 year series they would have called it something like Pocket Monsters: World Tour, but reverting to the original series name implies finality to me. This is the final form of the Pokemon anime, at least with Ash as the main character.

I don't know about that. I think that might be reading too much into the Pocket Monsters title. It's also pretty ridiculous think that they'll do a reboot with a new protagonist at this point, especially when Ash has outstayed his welcome for a lot of fans at least a decade ago. Ash has been the main lead for over two decades. He's not going to be replaced and I don't understand why people still treat it as a possibility.

Is it weird that Go choosing Mew instead of the Kanto starters made me think of 90's rumors?

Oak: Son, why are you checking my bookcase?
Go: They told me that if I check the bookcase 50 times a staircase will open and you will offer me Mew as a starter!

...I miss those times.
Lmfao, it would be cool if they were to reference those jokes. Maybe even have one where he's at Vermilion port and spots a truck on another pier, then decides to jump in the water to swim over and check underneath it.

Manga "based" on the anime, titled "[I/We] Love♡Pocket Monsters". A character named Mika is on the left with the Pikachu, Koharu is on the right with her Yamper.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1190825929087406085?s=20

There's interviews about the new series in the December issue of "Nikkei Entertainment!". Just from the picture, you can see Lugia in the left-side page.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1190826179873271809?s=20

Darn, I thought that Mika might have been Serena. They look very similar though with the blonde bobbed haircut. It would have been cute to have a shoujo side series starring Koharu and Serena.

Boy, you guys really see in everything a sign of Serena returning. She will not become series regular again. Her time, like with every other companion, is over! I'm actually happy that the anime switches the protagonist with every series to keep things fresh. This anime is about Ash and Go. So no Serena, no Misty, no Brock, no May, just Ash and Go.

Personally I hope there will be no female character. I really want to see Ash and Go bound as brothers. After Kukui filled the role of Ash's his father, and Burnet as his second and better-written mother, Ash needs a person in his life that fills in the role of a sibling. And Go so far is the best candidate for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom