• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have to, especially considering it would confuse younger fans and require them to bingewatch past episodes in order to understand what's going on. I don't see them ever doing that.
There's no point revisiting older regions if past characters and places won't be in the show at all.

If they were going down the route you mentioned then they were better off rebooting instead of setting it in the same continuity, or just have Galar as the only setting.

Besides iirc, they said this anime is for "fans of all the generations/series”.

They don't have to, especially considering it would confuse younger fans and require them to bingewatch past episodes in order to understand what's going on. I don't see them ever doing that.
That's what flashbacks, exposition and the recap we're getting on Sunday are for.

Think about it. If they were really against bringing back older characters (and the two Brock/Misty returns in SM mean they probably aren't), they would never have decided to make this series. They wouldn't intentionally put themselves into a situation where they have to constantly walk on eggshells to avoid mentioning previous characters. It would be constant work for them to keep thinking of ways to justify characters who should be there not being there. They had a chance to make this a reboot but they chose not to.

Maybe we're not going to see old companions become part of the main cast again, but when it makes sense for them to appear they will. Not accounting for issues with VAs though. We'll probably see Dawn show up but not May.

Yeah, I am also concerned that it will be a repeat of Battle Frontier since that took place in Kanto but they never really did anything with it.

For example, their headquarters are located in Vermilion City. I can understand why they chose that place since it is a port city AKA a center of transportation. However, if we go this entire series without ever seeing or even hearing about Lt Surge, the leader of the local gym where Ash got his first badge that he legitimately won in a Pokemon battle, then that is a huge missed opportunity.

On another note, SM had Team Rocket point out how weird it was seeing Ash go to school. I would love for them to do the same for this series.

Jessie: That Twerp keeps going around the world! Can't he stay in one region?
James: On the bright side, we can take advantage of our frequent flier miles! :D
Jessie: :cautious:

Last edited:
I'm not expecting a lot of continuity and references to the old series.

Yeah, we get it. You post this like once a day. Do you have a specific reason why, by any chance? Kind of a bold statement to make repeatedly when, again, we don't really know which direction the series is going in and have no concrete evidence against or in support of the continuity argument one way or the other.

I agree that if there really is a lack of continuity, then that would be a giant waste of opportunity. They really should put more effort into attracting old and new fans alike. I do like that they have said that's their goal in reference to the new series, but we don't actually know what that means just yet.

Does it matter if this new series is a reboot or something continuing after Sun and Moon, though? Either way they could still sprinkle cameos along the way for the fans. Whether Ash recognizes them or not, the anime could still have him interact with them as a nod to the previous series. Honestly, the anime has come a long way and if they decided to bring in previous characters every once in a while for nostalgia, we're bound to have at least an episode's worth of flashbacks. Remember when they brought back Charizard for Episode N? Nearly an entire episode was dedicated to flashback. That wasn't bad, but imagine that for every single previous major companion. Or rival. Or champion.

Besides, we've already seen characters getting soft-reboots despite the anime continuity. In XY&Z, Steven obviously got soft-rebooted from his AG-self with nobody recognizing him from that one single episode in the past. But hey, a soft-reboot like that? I'm not complaining :D

I'm really happy that the cast of this anime is so small, it already allows the development of the backstories of Ash and Pikachu so I hope that it will also be the case for Jessie, James and Meowth. These characters have been present for more than 20 years but in the end we know only some very little things about them and to dig their backstories we must put in order some small pieces of a puzzle scattered here and there in random episodes of different arcs or Special CD drama that very few people know outside Japan and among the young spectators.

I hope also some cameo or mention of the Pokemon left in the Team Rocket headquarters who have never had a proper closure since 2011 despite their very strong bond with their trainers too...

Last edited:
Yeah, I am also concerned that it will be a repeat of Battle Frontier since that took place in Kanto but they never really did anything with it.

Heck, they may as well have made the BF its own place considering how little they used Kanto elements...

In XY&Z, Steven obviously got soft-rebooted from his AG-self with nobody recognizing him from that one single episode in the past. But hey, a soft-reboot like that? I'm not complaining :D

Considering him and Ash didn't spend any amount of time together and that that he barely did anything, it's cool. Heck, they made him into a COTD. Not even a glorified one like other game characters that were only in 1 episode, like his dad or Drake. Just a regular, everyday COTD. They did more with Mr. Briney than him o_O

Though we've seen time and time again that you NEVER know when they'll bring back an old character. I won't be disappointed if no one shows up, but I'll be happy if they do :)

Considering him and Ash didn't spend any amount of time together and that that he barely did anything, it's cool. Heck, they made him into a COTD. Not even a glorified one like other game characters that were only in 1 episode, like his dad or Drake. Just a regular, everyday COTD. They did more with Mr. Briney than him o_O
I think they intended to reintroduce him as a Champion later in Hoenn, but then Emerald rolled around and Wallace became the current Hoenn Champion.

Even then, Wallace didn't appear until DP, although Emerald did cause them to make Juan the 8th Gym Leader in the anime instead.
I've heard that there was a promotional poster in the early AG that featured Wallace, meaning that Ash was originally planned to battle him for the Rain Badge, before Emerald and Juan were introduced.

You know for the new series, they didn't show us Gou actually catching anything or Ash fighting anybody except Gou. They are still secretive about much stuff.

I think they intended to reintroduce him as a Champion later in Hoenn, but then Emerald rolled around and Wallace became the current Hoenn Champion.
Even then, Wallace didn't appear until DP, although Emerald did cause them to make Juan the 8th Gym Leader in the anime instead.
I've heard that there was a promotional poster in the early AG that featured Wallace, meaning that Ash was originally planned to battle him for the Rain Badge, before Emerald and Juan were introduced.
LANCE of all people appeared for the anime weather crisis, so some part of AG was just misrepresented
Maybe that was tied in with the release of FireRed and LeafGreen?
All this kinda proves is that continuity issues are heavily influenced by the games, and that the soft-reboot for Steven helped make him a better character. It isn't just because of ORAS, but giving a new chance to an older character with a different take on his battle style and/or characterization.

All this kinda proves is that continuity issues are heavily influenced by the games, and that the soft-reboot for Steven helped make him a better character. It isn't just because of ORAS, but giving a new chance to an older character with a different take on his battle style and/or characterization.

Since the anime is meant to promote the games, that can influence the continuity. It might not have been a soft reboot exactly so much as that they just didn't want to make reference to that AG episode. It wouldn't have really fit with what they wanted Steven to do in XY and it wouldn't have been much of a callback considering fans disliked that he was treated as a generic character of the day instead of the Champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom