• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen an article about this. It does appear that this was their intention, to make an androgynous character. The article states that they wanted to make a character that identifies as neither male nor female and that Gou is an androgynous or non-binary character. I would like to get a full translation of the article myself, just because of how the article interchanges androgynous and non-binary. These days, androgyny tends to be more defined as someone who doesn't look like they fit in the gender binary, not someone who identifies outside of the gender binary.

Either way though, it does make me glad that Gou's androgynous design does seem to be intentional. Whether they are nb or not, it is great to see them going this route and actually showing some representation to this crowd of people.

What article are you referring to? As interesting as Go being a non-binary character sounds, I just have a bit of a hard time believing that is the case. It just kind of reminds me of the brief debates over Go's gender before the poster was officially revealed more than anything else.

I have seen an article about this. It does appear that this was their intention, to make an androgynous character. The article states that they wanted to make a character that identifies as neither male nor female and that Gou is an androgynous or non-binary character. I would like to get a full translation of the article myself, just because of how the article interchanges androgynous and non-binary. These days, androgyny tends to be more defined as someone who doesn't look like they fit in the gender binary, not someone who identifies outside of the gender binary.

Either way though, it does make me glad that Gou's androgynous design does seem to be intentional. Whether they are nb or not, it is great to see them going this route and actually showing some representation to this crowd of people.

They call Go a "pretty boy". I'm pretty sure he isn't a non-binary character.

I suspect the article just read Go has an androgynous design and concluded he is non-binary from that. Could you put a link to the article to read what it says.

To be clear, in Japan, "pretty boys" have androgynous physical features. That's pretty common in their beauty concept.

They call Go a "pretty boy". I'm pretty sure he isn't a non-binary character.

I suspect the article just read Go has an androgynous design and concluded he is non-binary from that. Could you put a link to the article to read what it says.

To be clear, in Japan, "pretty boys" have androgynous physical features. That's pretty common in their beauty concept.

What article are you referring to? As interesting as Go being a non-binary character sounds, I just have a bit of a hard time believing that is the case. It just kind of reminds me of the brief debates over Go's gender before the poster was officially revealed more than anything else.

Oh sorry, I meant to link the article but forgot.

Gou Is Non-Binary In The Upcoming Pokemon Anime | NintendoSoup

Based on this, and just looking at the article, I don't think non-binary was every stated, I think the writer of the article might have made a mistake in calling Go non-binary. I would like to see the interview translated, but I didn't find a link to the article anywhere.

I agree that this reminds me of that debate on what Go's gender was. To even have a character who is this androgynous on the main cast of the anime is a big step forward for Pokemon.

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I meant to link the article but forgot.

Gou Is Non-Binary In The Upcoming Pokemon Anime | NintendoSoup

Based on this, and just looking at the article, I don't think non-binary was every stated, I think the writer of the article might have made a mistake in calling Go non-binary. I would like to see the interview translated, but I didn't find a link to the article anywhere.

I agree that this reminds me of that debate on what Go's gender was. To even have a character who is this androgynous on the main cast of the anime is a big step forward for Pokemon.

Thank you for the link.

Yeah. The writer of the article doesn't know the obvious differences between an androgynous look and non-binary.

New researcher seems to be a copy of Molayne, since they seem to be lacking in creativity these days, they may as well just start using old characters, but I'm not holding my breath. I just can't wait until we actually start seeing stuff so we can stop arguing.

I'm most excited about Pikachu's backstory, but I think at this point the next most exciting element to me is the retirement of this thread.

The Prof has other assistants? Please tell me one of them winds up being a Team Rocket spy, that would just be awesome!

The region hopping doesn't seem to have much order to it. I already feel whiplash and the show hasn't even started yet.

I do find it interesting they're skipping around announcing episodes. Maybe they're hiding something, like during the Alola League? All I know is if the Piplup and Crogunk in the artwork for episode 8 aren't Dawn and Brock's, I'm going to be pretty miffed. If out of all the Pokemon from Sinnoh they could've chosen to have a conflict is those two, and there's no connection...then that's just a weird, almost unfair, choice.

The artwork for each episode is really beautiful, though. I will say that.

I'll be pretty disappointed too, if it's just a random Piplup and Croagunk.... why? It'll be very frustrating, especially as unlike Bulbasaur and Snorlax? It's quite easy to come to the conclusion that it has to be Dawn and Brock.

If it is though, I'll be quite happy if they go back to treating Croagunk as Brock's signature Pokemon. I miss him

Loving the background music! If this is the quality we can expect we are in good hands.

Personally speaking, I'm just used to watching the dub. I like waking up to new episodes on Saturday mornings. Even though I'm familiar with most of the major events months before the dub gets to those points, I just find it kind of comforting in a way that I still watch new Pokemon episodes on the weekend. I suppose I could watch both versions, but I never had a strong desire to do so for some reason. I don't dislike the dub score, but based on the clips I have seen from various Japanese episodes, the original score does have more of a kick to it, so I can understand why people are upset when they change the score for the dub.

Yeah, I personally don't have a problem with the dub. They definitely do some things I don't like (Team Rocket's alliteration instantly comes to mind...they're definitely more tolerable in the Japanese episodes) but other things that a lot of people dislike such as the dub music really doesn't bother me. I also just find it much easier to access. Like Hidden Mew said, I enjoy having a new episode to watch every weekend.

While I keep up with what's going in on the Japanese episodes, I generally only watch those episodes at the beginning of each series, or if it's an episode I'm particularly excited about. Even then, however, I really enjoy watching the dub later on to compare, particularly for character or Pokemon voices.

Out of curiosity, why do some veteran anime watchers still watch the dub? Especially if you're at least aware of the Japanese episode titles months ahead of the dubbed release.
I mostly just keep an eye out on various episodes for any random NY/guest VA's that show up that I like.

I think I primarily watch Pokemon in the dub, just because the voices are usually fine for me, and it allows me to put some focus into another task while I watch the episode, while sub I would have to be watching the screen the entire time.

That being said, in the beginning, I am usually watching the sub for a while as I wait for the dub to come out. So I do see a decent amount of the subbed version, but if I were to go back and watch something and it's out in dub I would watch it in dub, as I am with Sun and Moon now.

Don't go in expecting most, if any "arcs" at all.

View: https://twitter.com/paul_v_v/status/1193104725262131205?s=21

The Animedia magazine interview confirms that this series will mostly be self-contained, in fact even more so than "Sun & Moon" due to the timeslot change meaning that people may not be able to keep up with a weekly series like they could before.

Unless you're me who decides to lock himself in the house every Sunday

Don't go in expecting most, if any "arcs" at all.

View: https://twitter.com/paul_v_v/status/1193104725262131205?s=21

The Animedia magazine interview confirms that this series will mostly be self-contained, in fact even more so than "Sun & Moon" due to the timeslot change meaning that people may not be able to keep up with a weekly series like they could before.

Unless you're me who decides to lock himself in the house every Sunday

Bah. That is all I have to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom