• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't go in expecting most, if any "arcs" at all.

View: https://twitter.com/paul_v_v/status/1193104725262131205?s=21

The Animedia magazine interview confirms that this series will mostly be self-contained, in fact even more so than "Sun & Moon" due to the timeslot change meaning that people may not be able to keep up with a weekly series like they could before.

Unless you're me who decides to lock himself in the house every Sunday

That's a horribly crying shame. Here's hoping that there's less fillers and more episodes focused on character development/progression.

Here are the translations to in the interview in the magazine:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1193095004891185152

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1193095121153060864

It has interesting information.

So, the new series will be more like how original Sailor Moon was scripted, no real progression, just little to none story plots to be carried over, in the end of the day it is just the characters going through something only to not be remembered later. Ew, okay.
It will be like the first season of Pokemon.

In itself, it is pretty common that anime for children are pretty episodic even if it has an overarching arc, since kids usually enjoy the self-contained adventures (where you can see new Pokemon and places).

To be clear, episodic anime isn't the same that an anime full of fillers.

Filler episodes is created to fill the space until we reached the really important (in plot or character development).

In an episodic anime, the self-contained episodes are a part important of the anime and one of the main attractions.

Last edited:
New researcher seems to be a copy of Molayne, since they seem to be lacking in creativity these days, they may as well just start using old characters, but I'm not holding my breath. I just can't wait until we actually start seeing stuff so we can stop arguing.

Yes, and the female looks like a mix between Sophie (XY) and Lillie.

In Serebii, there is a translation to the part of the interview about the episodic nature of the season:

Q: The current series is going to be episodic, please tell us why this is.
Negishi: The biggest reason for this is the change in the broadcasting environment. The show's current slot in on Sunday at 6pm, but viewers won't necessarily be at home every Sunday, sometimes being out with their family or visiting friends instead. This means we figured it would be very difficult for viewers to keep up with a serialized story without ever missing an episode. This doesn't mean the show is going to be completely episodic, just that we won't do all that many stories that continue over multiple episodes, and that when we do them, we'll make sure every single episode is enjoyable on its own. We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.

In Serebii, there is a translation to the part of the interview about the episodic nature of the season:

Q: The current series is going to be episodic, please tell us why this is.
Negishi: The biggest reason for this is the change in the broadcasting environment. The show's current slot in on Sunday at 6pm, but viewers won't necessarily be at home every Sunday, sometimes being out with their family or visiting friends instead. This means we figured it would be very difficult for viewers to keep up with a serialized story without ever missing an episode. This doesn't mean the show is going to be completely episodic, just that we won't do all that many stories that continue over multiple episodes, and that when we do them, we'll make sure every single episode is enjoyable on its own. We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.

If this is the case, I don't see how this is any different than past series, to be frank. We never had Dragon Ball esque sagas going on within the series except for the Alola League maybe, and the farthest point the series got was the two parters which were broadcasted in two weeks, and even then the first parter had a good preview in the beginning of the episodes anyway.

I don't think that the episodic nature will be that different than SM, except a long league seems unlikely now.

If this is the case, I don't see how this is any different than past series, to be frank. We never had Dragon Ball esque sagas going on within the series except for the Alola League maybe, and the farthest point the series got was the two parters which were broadcasted in two weeks, and even then the first parter had a good preview in the beginning of the episodes anyway.

Honestly, it is just the context of the interview that seems to imply this "season" will be more episodic than previous "seasons" (which, honestly, were already pretty episodic).

The interview says the change in the broadcasting environment is the biggest reason why the show is going to be episodic.

Agreed.

I think some fans assumed by "episodic" that they mean't the new series would be more like an anthology series. But in reality, it will be structured a lot like it has always been (mainly self-contained, but still have some overarching long-term development.)

I'm hoping "more episodic" just means how the show was pre-SM. He might just be referring to the Aether Paradise and Naganadel arcs as what they're trying to avoid. Diamond and Pearl told a good story within the confines of a more episodic series.

We're also going to have Satoshi's dream of becoming skilled at Pokémon battles and Go's dream of getting every Pokémon serve as a consistent backbone of the entire series.
Another point for Ash using reserves.

I don't think that the episodic nature will be that different than SM, except a long league seems unlikely now.
Hopefully the league will be an exception like it was in previous, more episodic series. If anything I'd just like them to contain most of the battles within a single episode this time instead of that cliffhanger nonsense they went with in SM.

Last edited:
If they're afraid of kids feeling lost during two-parters, why would they bring back a lot of characters from many years ago that require re-introduction? They want maximum accessibility.
Because the kids are going to miss the episodes where Ash catches new Pokemon anyway. They've all gone out with their families because it's Sunday. .

By "self-containing", they mean things like the UB Arc. Which has one after another UB appear in different episodes but a casual can watch one without having to watch the other one before. And if there are arcs, they will be 2-3 Parters only. Of couse this does mean less references and of course they still will definitely throw some here and there.

Then compounding the problem isn't going to make things any better. If the new Pokemon (not necessarily new species) are showcased often, then the kids will warm up to them quickly even if they missed some episodes. This could only work for a handful of reserves and they don't even seem to be doing that with Bulbasaur.

So any word if there will be an English Dub Sneak Peek for this? We saw it happen for X/Y and S/M, but maybe things are different now that Pokémon has been on Disney XD for a few years now. Maybe Disney XD isn't interested in a sneak peek? Afterall, we are still waiting for any announcement for Movie 22's dub.

I think that the most likely old companions to return are Brock and Misty for nostalgia reasons and Dawn to promote Sinnoh remakes, which are likely to happen.

If they're afraid of kids feeling lost during two-parters, why would they bring back a lot of characters from many years ago that require re-introduction? They want maximum accessibility.
Then compounding the problem isn't going to make things any better. If the new Pokemon (not necessarily new species) are showcased often, then the kids will warm up to them quickly even if they missed some episodes. This could only work for a handful of reserves and they don't even seem to be doing that with Bulbasaur.
Are you seriously still hung up on reboot or lack of continuity? You pretty much contradicted yourself with "maximum accessibility" which also includes older series fans (which is what the intend this series to be). They showcased quite a lot of Ash's older Pokemon in the Kanto visit episodes, I don't recall any complaints or confusion regarding those two. In fact, those two were received very positively among the community.

And as to the difference between past characters/reserves returning and them avoiding longer arcs now, there's a big difference between the two. Past characters (including reserves) are pretty much that, characters. They're dynamic and they can be re-introduced at any point with little flashbacks or retelling... and they can be further developed if needed. Story arcs on the other hand form the plot that can stagnate if drawn out too long, or if they are not connected to the overarching story properly (see the sudden jumping between multiple arcs in BW). And unlike characters, recapping the events of story arcs will result in redundancy and wastage of screentime.

The interview does make it sound like self-contained stories with longer term development, like DP + OS in a manner of speaking, so that gives me hope now.

Last edited:
The interview does make it sound like self-contained stories with longer term development, like DP + OS in a manner of speaking, so that gives me hope now.

Where the interview says long term development?

I never said that it says long term development, I said it makes it sound like that to me.
I understand.

Why it sounds like that to you?

It sounds to me like it will be pretty episodic. So, I don't think it will be so much character development, but Ash and Go living self-contained adventures.

Are you seriously still hung up on reboot or lack of continuity?
Why wouldn't I be? The first episode hasn't aired yet and the preview shows discrepancies from EP001. And I find it ridiculous that they wouldn't at least confirm that Ash's Kanto starters are coming back by now. So no, I don't know for sure what is going on, but I haven't changed my mind just because my opinion annoys you.

You pretty much contradicted yourself with "maximum accessibility" which also includes older series fans (which is what the intend this series to be). They showcased quite a lot of Ash's older Pokemon in the Kanto visit episodes, I don't recall any complaints or confusion regarding those two. In fact, those two were received very positively among the community.
Kids are absolutely the target audience. Adults should be used to the minimal continuity and say thank you for the nods, as the show isn't meant for them. Ironically, a reboot could be more referential than the post-DP series were, starting with the rehash of Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden which wouldn't even make sense for Ash's Bulbasaur again (the posters and merchandise prove that some Bulbasaur will recur, rather than Ivysaur).

Past characters (including reserves) are pretty much that, characters. They're dynamic and they can be re-introduced at any point with little flashbacks or retelling... and they can be further developed if needed.
And these wouldn't be story arcs? Or are you saying that old characters will only be shown one episode at a time and they'll each have to be re-introduced each time? They only did this once for one or two characters in AG, DP, BW and SM and that required two-parters or more. Otherwise, the returning characters are glorified COTDs as far as kids are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom