• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters the series (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't I be? The first episode hasn't aired yet and the preview shows discrepancies from EP001. And I find it ridiculous that they wouldn't at least confirm that Ash's Kanto starters are coming back by now. So no, I don't know for sure what is going on, but I haven't changed my mind just because my opinion annoys you.

Kids are absolutely the target audience. Adults should be used to the minimal continuity and say thank you for the nods, as the show isn't meant for them. Ironically, a reboot could be more referential than the post-DP series were, starting with the rehash of Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden which wouldn't even make sense for Ash's Bulbasaur again (the posters and merchandise prove that some Bulbasaur will recur, rather than Ivysaur).

And these wouldn't be story arcs? Or are you saying that old characters will only be shown one episode at a time and they'll each have to be re-introduced each time? They only did this once for one or two characters in AG, DP, BW and SM and that required two-parters or more. Otherwise, the returning characters are glorified COTDs as far as kids are concerned.
Your profile is right: you are stuck into the past and reboot land.

So any word if there will be an English Dub Sneak Peek for this? We saw it happen for X/Y and S/M, but maybe things are different now that Pokémon has been on Disney XD for a few years now. Maybe Disney XD isn't interested in a sneak peek? Afterall, we are still waiting for any announcement for Movie 22's dub.

Well we got the SM sneak peek on Disney XD to promote both the new series and Pokemon moving to the channel, so I doubt that they're uninterested in the sneak peek for this series. I'm also not sure if Disney XD is a factor in regards to the recent movie's dub, especially when they weren't able to give it a limited release in theaters beforehand. I don't recall when they've announced sneak peeks for other new series. We'll probably get something either late this month or more likely sometime in December.

As for the new series being episodic, I'm not sure if it's that much different than how the series generally have been structured. The anime usually doesn't have long arcs, each one is pretty much stand alone-ish and there is a more episodic format. It does seem a bit strange to me that they'd cite the new timeslot, but I don't think that Japan offers a lot of reruns for a new series. Granted, I'm not sure if that would be a huge problem in this day and age, but it might still be a concern for them.

Kids are absolutely the target audience. Adults should be used to the minimal continuity and say thank you for the nods, as the show isn't meant for them.
I think the nods are meant to work as nice callbacks for older fans and make the younger audience eager to check out older episodes.

I wonder: why promoting regions that aren't featured in any current game and only older fans seem to remember?

I understand.

Why it sounds like that to you?

It sounds to me like it will be pretty episodic. So, I don't think it will be so much character development, but Ash and Go living self-contained adventures.
Episodic like how OS was, definitely. Not many of OS episodes were a lengthy arc and could well be standalone & self-contained, but the longer term goal for OS was the League in Ash's case. That's what I meant.
For DP, I could say its the rivalry build up and relation/tension between Ash and Paul (there were more like the other rivals and all but the given example should be enough). Tbh, every series except BF maybe, have been using the same format that this series will use.
__
Why wouldn't I be? The first episode hasn't aired yet and the preview shows discrepancies from EP001. And I find it ridiculous that they wouldn't at least confirm that Ash's Kanto starters are coming back by now. So no, I don't know for sure what is going on, but I haven't changed my mind just because my opinion annoys you.
What discrepancies? A Pikachu backstory? No discrepancy there.
Ash receiving Pikachu? Seems like a flashback...
Ash throwing a Pokeball in his sleep? Could very well be him being hyped in his dreams about his upcoming journey and doing it unknowingly, in the present day.

Your arguments previously about a reboot scenario were the logo (which has since been dismissed), and then later it was "green pajamas in a third continuity" (which is farfetched and wayward as stated by Neo Blaze). If anything, the evidence we have so far from both SM and SS/PM imply a continuity. Why is it ridiculous that they haven't confirmed anything yet? They've not confirmed much outside of Ash, Pikachu and Gou and the travel aspect (not even Ash's ambition outside of being a Pokemon Master, what he'll be doing for that matter which is supposed to be important). If anything, it gives us a lot of speculation material.

Besides, did you miss the Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard (not Charmander) in front of Ash's house in the official poster? I don't know about you but those three (yes, those specific stages of evolution) and the location tells me a lot in my speculation's favor.
__
Kids are absolutely the target audience. Adults should be used to the minimal continuity and say thank you for the nods, as the show isn't meant for them. Ironically, a reboot could be more referential than the post-DP series were, starting with the rehash of Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden which wouldn't even make sense for Ash's Bulbasaur again (the posters and merchandise prove that some Bulbasaur will recur, rather than Ivysaur).
I'll leave this here. A rehash of an older episode without any relevant development (in this case potentially for Ash's Bulbasaur) does nothing outside of being a filler and only alienates a portion of the fanbase for bait-and-switching (which is counter productive to the intention they mentioned for this series).
I think the nods are meant to work as nice callbacks for older fans and make the younger audience eager to check out older episodes.
__
And these wouldn't be story arcs? Or are you saying that old characters will only be shown one episode at a time and they'll each have to be re-introduced each time? They only did this once for one or two characters in AG, DP, BW and SM and that required two-parters or more. Otherwise, the returning characters are glorified COTDs as far as kids are concerned.
I guess I worded that wrongly.

There's a difference between a character arc/development/progression and plot progression. Characters are dynamic and can drive the story, but the other way round can be difficult.

Example? There's a difference between Ash-Paul rivalry and the entire Galactic arc (the latter didn't really turn out well imo in the anime). One is driven by the characters, the other is driven by... plot elements (that were taken from the games). There's also the Misty and Brock revisits in SM in multiple episodes that formed their own mini-arcs twice, would you call them "glorified CotDs"?

Like Finnish said, these returning characters (be they Pokemon or Humans) act as a catalyst to have new fans and kids check out the previous episodes, games and what not. That's quite the opposite of what the main games are doing which is why the anime is far better off at the moment.

Last edited:
So any word if there will be an English Dub Sneak Peek for this? We saw it happen for X/Y and S/M, but maybe things are different now that Pokémon has been on Disney XD for a few years now. Maybe Disney XD isn't interested in a sneak peek? Afterall, we are still waiting for any announcement for Movie 22's dub.
I know CITV over here in the UK got the Sun & Moon preview earlier than the US did so there's a possible chance it could happen again.

I don't really agree that old series were episodic (other than SM), but I do feel you could watch the vast majority of episodes while missing some others and enjoy them a lot, you just wouldn't enjoy them quite as much as if you had seen everything in order. Many episodes just had little bits that connected them to others (and I really don't see any reason other than laziness for that to not continue), and there really weren't very many huge arcs, but more overarching storylines that were just small portions of episodes. In my own experience, I enjoy re-watching an entire series a great deal more than re-watching random episodes.

I am very disappointed that the new series will be episodic, I don't think it dooms the series, but it does create a lower ceiling, where I think although any given episode could be great, the series on the whole doesn't have as much potential as some of the more cohesive series. As for the argument that it won't be much different from past series, since the interview directly states its a change, I don't imagine it will be the type of "episodic" from past series, but will be drastically more episodic, otherwise it wouldn't be stated as a change.

I think its cute that they blame the time slot for the change. A purely episodic series is infinitely easier to direct, write, etc, and that is the reason for the change, it has nothing to do with the timeslot, but good on them for trying to blame their shortcomings on something else. This is a continuation of the disturbing trend we have seen lately with Pokemon, as the games have been getting progressively lazier since gen 5 concluded, only doing the bare minimum to maximize profit, with a lot less pride in their work than they used to take (and creating hype and gimmicks as a distraction). The episodes can easily still be enjoyable, but it becomes less of a series, and more of just a collection of randomness, which for someone like me is a lot less enjoyable on the whole.

In my opinion, the way series were structured in the past, no one was really left out, you could enjoy it in an episodic fashion, and those that enjoyed the long term and following storylines could also really get behind it. Going strictly episodic is going to leave a lot of people's preferences out. I think for me it just means lowering my expectations, which maybe by knowing up front will make it easier. It may just mean I start another re-watch of older series next year and watch these new episodes randomly without worrying about order, since it won't really matter.

Last edited:
I can see the timeslot thing being legitimate though; it makes sense if the timeslot change was done in preparation for this series.

I get the concerns about the promised formula change, but like many of you I think it's unlikely we'll have a fundamental shift to a Simpsons-esque truly episodic series. Go is hardly gonna catch new Pokemon which we never see again, is he? I read this more as them ditching the SM-style arcs, to which I say a cheery good riddance. I don't think most of the island visiting/crisis arcs worked, and the League especially was a chore to sit through.

In the same vein, although I'm really not sure about hopping from region to region every episode (and I really hope that Lugia is a one-off and not the actual permanent method of transportation), I don't think they'd have done a good job with long arcs in each region. This is going to be much more satisfactorily workable.

So, welcome back OS-XY style episodic Pokeani!!

Yeah, check this out. I don't think any of Ash's previous companions are coming back:

Pokemon Star Explains How Series' New Anime Will Be Different

Did people really think they were going to return?

I would love May and Max to come back, but their voice actors have moved on. Serena isn't returning either (and why are people so obsessed with her anyway?) and we likely won't see Brock and Misty again anytime soon because they really only appeared to promote Let's Go.

Yeah, check this out. I don't think any of Ash's previous companions are coming back:

Pokemon Star Explains How Series' New Anime Will Be Different

Did people really think they were going to return?

I would love May and Max to come back, but their voice actors have moved on. Serena isn't returning either (and why are people so obsessed with her anyway?) and we likely won't see Brock and Misty again anytime soon because they really only appeared to promote Let's Go.
I wouldn't trust anything that Screenrant and Comicbook spew out, they've been making these clickbait articles for months now, with a lot of false information every now and then.
(I don't even know how to block the article suggestions I get of them in Chrome Mobile feed.)

Also, that tweet about Rica confirming that there will only be two main characters was already discussed in these forums iirc. She only says that Ash and Gou will be part of the main/core cast (Ash+Serena+Bonnie+Clemont, Ash+Misty+Brock, Ash+Classmates .etc.), since a lot of people were speculating if Koharu would be the third member. Nowhere does she state that past companions or characters won't return in any capacity... whether as side, supporting, CotD or cameo characters.
If anything, the two-man travelling group actually allows them to slot in past characters quite dynamically as temporary travel companions whether in singles or duos, and without an overcrowding feel.

Voice actors can always be replaced if the previous ones are unavailable, I know the Japs are stingy with replacing VAs but most of the time it only tends to be with main characters.

Last edited:
Based on the cast lists, the series is off to a great start in terms of Pokemon with confirmed Japanese voice actors as Sun and Moon practically had the same actors playing the same characters every single episode

I can see the timeslot thing being legitimate though; it makes sense if the timeslot change was done in preparation for this series.
Last I checked, Sunday night was just as much school night as Thursday night. Much more importantly, however, we live in an era where children are not tied to television schedules more than any time since the dawn of the TV. Most children are very tech savvy these days, and have access to DVR, on demand, and the vast internet. Now more than ever before, children are able to watch the content they want, when they want. In that vein I would personally imagine creating content that becomes "must watch" is a better strategy than just spewing randomness that someone may or may not care to see. Its hard to imagine the producers of Pokemon are that out of touch, which is why I feel this is more of an excuse than anything else.

I really hope you are right.

On a separate note, the age old argument that past companions reappearing would be too much for the new audience has reappeared for the millionth time. Although I have argued against this many times in the past, I have thought of an example that may be useful, although very few on here change their minds to age old arguments, and with certain individuals it isn't even worth trying (valiant effort @Panky.. but many have failed before you and will continue to fail after...).

Anyway, on to the example, take the episode "Hot Springing a Leak". Dawn happened to already have a preexisting relationship with Leona. Leona had never appeared before in the anime, so none of the audience knew who she was. The episode wasn't dedicated to establishing Leona and Dawn's past relationship, it was just a regular filler type plot for the era. Having Leona instead of a random cotd didn't damage the episode in anyway, in fact it probably made the main cast's involvement more believable, because sometimes they get overly involved with people they just met. For many, it was pretty cool to see a glimpse into Dawn's past as well, getting to meet one of her old friends. The episode still stood on the same plot it could have with a random cotd, and whether you liked the episode or not, it really didn't make a huge difference that Dawn knew Leona, if anything it only improved the episode.

Now take this example into present day, I can't see using someone like Dawn instead of a new cotd for a filler type episode being anything but good. They don't need to delve into the fact that Ash already knows her, in fact, imagine in real life when you are introducing an old friend to a new friend. If you want the two to like each other, you don't just reminisce about stuff only one of the friends could relate to, you try to include both. In the same vein, an episode with someone like Dawn could take place exactly as it would have with a random cotd and not be off-putting to new audience. On the other hand, it would make literally thousands of people extremely happy and be watched by people who aren't even watching the anime anymore. If it is done frequently enough, instead of being an Alola, Kanto type nostalgia fest, it can just be a character in the series being involved in a completely new plot with very little set-up necessary.

Although times have changed, characters that were extremely popular during their original run in the anime were liked for a number of reasons, and there is little reason to believe the same characters wouldn't be liked anymore. It also is easier on the writers and artists because they aren't coming up with new storylines and designs. Sure some cotds have specific backstories, so you can't always substitute an old character, but in many cases in could work extremely well. I really fail to see the negatives. If new fans don't really like the old character, it really isn't any different than if they didn't like a cotd, but they do get a glimpse into a friend from Ash's past, which can be interesting, even to new fans. But lets say someone really loves Dawn in a return episode, then finds out she was a main character for an entire series, and goes back and watches it, I can't see that as anything but positive (well unless they decide they like DP a lot more than today's stuff and become as negative as I am...).

The new series may not even have cotds, but there still is plenty of ways to involve old characters, especially with every region being involved. I really fail to see any negative in involving old characters, and there are so many positives. That being said, I still am not optimistic it will happen, but I think it is worth stating where I am in the argument as to its feasibility.

Last edited:
I get the concerns about the promised formula change, but like many of you I think it's unlikely we'll have a fundamental shift to a Simpsons-esque truly episodic series. Go is hardly gonna catch new Pokemon which we never see again, is he? I read this more as them ditching the SM-style arcs, to which I say a cheery good riddance. I don't think most of the island visiting/crisis arcs worked, and the League especially was a chore to sit through.

In the same vein, although I'm really not sure about hopping from region to region every episode (and I really hope that Lugia is a one-off and not the actual permanent method of transportation), I don't think they'd have done a good job with long arcs in each region. This is going to be much more satisfactorily workable.

Here here! I'm not a fan of the constant region hopping, I'd much prefer something consistent like at least 2-3 episodes before changing regions but I do like that as of right now... only one known episode is revolved around the home base which is great as SM constantly having Melemele(And nothing else) being the main focus for the majority of the saga was such a bore!

I don't like the idea of Lugia being a transporation service either, but as long as he actually gets characterization, development, and focus unlike the Pokeride Pokemon... it'll be fine I guess.

They said nothing about SM, they said it's going to be more episodic than ANY of the previous series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom