• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Pointless" Hidden Ablilies?

Yeah I was pretty upset when I found a female dream world combee for the first time only to find out that it's evolve form didn't have a super amazing ability.

I don't know a lot about DW abilities and stats and whatever but is anyone forgetting Darmanitan? My old classmate (he actually signed up on the forums, he made an introduction but other than that he never really posted anything, oh well) once said something about how Darmanitan's DW ability is useless, something about Zen Mode highers its defense but lowers its attack and it would do better with Sheer Force.

I don't know a lot about DW abilities and stats and whatever but is anyone forgetting Darmanitan? My old classmate (he actually signed up on the forums, he made an introduction but other than that he never really posted anything, oh well) once said something about how Darmanitan's DW ability is useless, something about Zen Mode highers its defense but lowers its attack and it would do better with Sheer Force.

The Psychic-typing is okay, but it's really troublesome to activate Zen Mode...

The Psychic-typing is okay, but it's really troublesome to activate Zen Mode...

If only Zen Mode worked in reverse: At full HP it's in Zen Mode, but it gets out of it when its health drops...

Would Lapras been really OP if it had Serene Grace as a Hidden Ability?

Not that it's current abilities are in any way terrible but I feel Lapras should of gotten Serene Grace.

Galvantula with SWARM? SERIOUSLY, when you can get one with Compound Eyes for near-100% Thunder?

-.- Oh come on... why Swarm ;_;

Not that it's current abilities are in any way terrible but I feel Lapras should of gotten Serene Grace.

Hydration isn't half bad at all, there are certainly other Pokemon that got a worse deal from the Dream World than Lapras. As for Serene Grace, a 20% freeze chance on Ice Beam would be annoying, but not game breaking. The 60% paralysis chance on Thunder and Body Slam could prove useful too, though.

I remember when BW was first released and we found out that Pidgeot had a mysterious unknown ability, and I wondered if this might be the long anticipated break that finally makes it good! Lolnope, Big Pecks.

Hydration isn't half bad at all, there are certainly other Pokemon that got a worse deal from the Dream World than Lapras. As for Serene Grace, a 20% freeze chance on Ice Beam would be annoying, but not game breaking. The 60% paralysis chance on Thunder and Body Slam could prove useful too, though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Reason I asked is because, had it gotten Serene Grace,
it would of made Lapras into a interesting Para-Flinch alternative,
one that I'd actually like using besides the ugly Egg-jet.

And Lapras just seams to fit the "Graceful" profile. So, I was wondering if maybe they didn't give it Serene Grace because they figured it would make it too powerful.

Wobbuffet with Telepathy. What. Seriously, I bet they put that in there just so Yancy could troll anyone wanting a Wobbuffet.

Strangest part of Hidden abilities are the fact that
there are many Pokemon you find in Dream World That have no Hidden Abilities
Yet there are Many Pokemon that Have Hidden abilities that you can't get with those same abilities....

I mean, what were they Thinking?

Swampert gets Damp. That is really pointless on Swampert, especially with Explosion/SD's nerf. Now, I don't actually know what ability is worse: Swampert is too slow to abuse Torrent since it'll probably be KO'd before it can use it well, but Damp is so pointless since it's rarer to find exploders nowadays.

Also, how does Damp fit Swampert's character? I suppose it's water type...but surely Dry Skin suited it better being a mudfish? Swampert could do with the recovery too...

;-; They've been all mentioned at this point. Haxorus, Delibird, Truant, Samurott, everything with Keen Eye / Run Away, Big Pecks...there's plenty, but imho most Pokés got actually a good deal.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom