• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poke Transporter (Transfering Pokemon From Previous Gens)

That seems logical. But I have my doubts if the system is going to be perfect. Like other's have said, it could wrongly identify a legit Pokémon as illegal in some way. We'll just need to wait for more info on this from Game Freak I guess.

I can't see them being that strict, and with all these editors now, it won't be long until people work out exactly what it picks up on, and then uses editors to make these areas seem more legitimate to fool the system.

I don't think impossible game location, ball, or egg moves when not an egg will trigger the hack checker.

...like if you've got a Zoroark in a Lure Ball...
In its defense, that example is perfectly legit: The BW1 Zorua/Zoroark events allow you to capture the Pokemon in any Poke Ball of your choice - for me, I got the Zorua in a Premier Ball and the Zoroark in a Heal Ball. Of course, its location metadata will say it was captured in either Castelia City or Lostlorn Forest (rather than, say, Pokemon Daycare or wherever the egg hatched)....

So you want to use it for free and be subsidized by others? Sounds like a raw deal to everyone else. Why should I have to pay for you?

Pokemon Bank is required for Transporter to work. It doesn't matter if you're utilizing Bank for 1 hour or 1 year, it is there and all of the services that come with it will be provided, regardless of how often you utilize the app. And they are providing a free month of service in the first month for anyone who must "stand on principle" and not pay $5 on a series of games that they've likely spent $200-300 minimum on.

I'd be fine with paying a small fee for Transporter-plus-mini-Bank. What I don't like is paying for one service I don't want to use another. And I don't appreciate you tacking "durr"s onto my statements, good sir :)

And yes, the free trial period is great and all, but people don't just magically stop ever wanting or needing to transfer things the second it ends. It's just a bandage for a poor setup.

And then everyone will purchase the transporter app for free, without bothering to purchase Pokemon Bank, therefore GameFreak loses all those funds needed to keep them both running anyway.

No they won't. The people who actually want the Bank's full storage space will still pay for it, but the people who don't won't need to be bothered. And Game Freak still makes the same amount of money by charging extra for Bank itself, which Bank users can afford to pay because they'd have to pay 10 times the cost of Bank before it stops being a bargain.

Given the current situation it is easily plausible, like I've said, to assume that Pokemon transporter as a separate app would require an annual charge in order to keep that running just like Pokemon bank. It would be much smarter for Gamefreak to either create two separate apps and charge an annual fee for both, in order to protect themselves from getting into the situation I've just described, or have one inaccessible without the other, which they have currently done, to ensure they don't lose out on the required funds in order to continue the app.

Pokemon Bank is required for Transporter to work. It doesn't matter if you're utilizing Bank for 1 hour or 1 year, it is there and all of the services that come with it will be provided, regardless of how often you utilize the app. And they are providing a free month of service in the first month for anyone who must "stand on principle" and not pay $5 on a series of games that they've likely spent $200-300 minimum on.

The storage space required for transfers is significantly smaller and more temporary than the storage space required for full Bank usage. Are you saying that the person who stores 6 Pokemon for 2 minutes should have to pay the same amount as the person who stores 3000 Pokemon for 3 years? How does that make any sense? The former isn't bleeding them money, so they can afford to give it away for free.

So you want to use it for free and be subsidized by others? Sounds like a raw deal to everyone else. Why should I have to pay for you?

Well it is now that they've put $5/year on the table, obviously people won't be happy if they suddenly raised the price now. But imagine if they came to you with my proposed system instead of the one they actually chose. Would you have still been unhappy with $10/year? I imagine not, that's still pocket change. So you're not getting ripped off by that price, just by the fact the price had been raised.

As far as what they could do now, IDK. They've probably already screwed this up to the point of no return. The only thing I can think of is using their profits to make a free version, but there's no reason for them to go back and do that now.

That you personally don't plan on using the storage for an extended period is meaningless. It is still being provided and you can either pay or just not use it.

It's not meaningless at all, the fact that I'm costing them significantly less money by borrowing a small amount of space on transfers is very meaningful to this debate.

As someone said earlier, it sure was nice to get all of those second DSes for free.

That was then, this is now. Yes, past transfer systems did have additional costs to them, but there's nothing inherently about this one that requires a cost. It's purely based on Game Freak's setup.

Personally I hope they do split the transporter into its own free app, and you and Genwunner and whoever else can transfer to your heart's content to a place where you won't be able to access your Pokemon because you refuse to pay $5 or use it during the free trial period.

That's exactly what they did, and what the complaints are aimed at.

Um correction, I am subsidizing you, I just want to be able to transfer my Pokemon between gens for free like I've always done. Instead I've got to pay to subsidise you using some data storage thing, so you can keep 3000 Pokemon in an online cloud. I don't want this feature, I don't want to subsidise you, but I am being forced to do so if I want to transfer my Pokemon like I used to be able to for free.

To be fair, you're misusing the word "subsidize". The money you're paying for isn't paying for another person's cloud storage, you're paying for the cloud storage that you don't need.

As someone said earlier, it sure was nice to get all of those second DSes for free.

That was then, this is now. Yes, past transfer systems did have additional costs to them, but there's nothing inherently about this one that requires a cost. It's purely based on Game Freak's setup.

Oh, so it's ok that you had to buy another whole system to do transfer's because it was in the past, but now it should be free of any cost at all? I keep seeing you bring up things like the global link and such, and that isn't even on the same magnitude as storing numbers of pokemon long term.

You're making a ASSUMPTION that it is possible to transfer using only an app based on the belief that Nintendo and Gamefreak are out to get you. Please prove that they are capable of making an app that can move data from the DS to the 3DS, seeing as it has been stated previously that it isn't possible to have the two talk to each other, I'd like to know what your magical solution is that can't be easily gamed and woefully inefficient.

Oh, so it's ok that you had to buy another whole system to do transfer's because it was in the past, but now it should be free of any cost at all? I keep seeing you bring up things like the global link and such, and that isn't even on the same magnitude as storing numbers of pokemon long term.

You're making a ASSUMPTION that it is possible to transfer using only an app based on the belief that Nintendo and Gamefreak are out to get you. Please prove that they are capable of making an app that can move data from the DS to the 3DS, seeing as it has been stated previously that it isn't possible to have the two talk to each other, I'd like to know what your magical solution is that can't be easily gamed and woefully inefficient.
Firstly, you're assuming that nobody in the world has a friend/relative with a DS. GAme Freak promotes trading and interacting with other people, hence version exclusives.
Secondly, they're not directly "talking" to eachother. It's more like sending your penpal a letter.

1339174377351.gif

/thread

Whatever this thing is gonna be that's going to recognize hacked Pokémon, it wasn't present in earlier generations, as hacked Pokémon could earlier be transported without any problems, as far as I know. Maybe it's because it's going to work with an online storage now or something? But then again, hacked Pokémon can also be obtained through GTS.

Anyway, must suck for people who want to transport their legitimate event V-Create Rayquaza or Roar of Time Darkrai, or Game Freak is gonna find a way to still transport these legit Pokémon with normally unteachable moves. And must also suck for people who want to transport and unknowlingly obtained a perfectly normal looking hacked Pokémon through GTS.

Also note how the site says: "You may find yourself unable to...." instead of "You will find yourself unable to...."

The events have a cherish ball, thats how nintendo tells the difference.

I never said anything about the Global Link, I said that the costs of storing Pokemon temporarily in the cloud for transfer are much smaller than the costs of storing Pokemon long term.

First of all, don't presume to know what I am thinking, you're not psychic.

Second, you seem to be misunderstanding what they were saying about DS and 3DS game incompatibility. They're saying that there's no built in program in the 3DS that allows DS -> 3DS communication. Not that DS -> app -> 3DS communication doesn't work. A transfer app is really simple, anyway, it only needs to do the following:

1. Extract the data from your 5th gen game
2. Find some place to store it.
3. Do whatever series of methods it has to do for the data to be translated
4. Import it to your 6th gen game

You don't need two separate apps to do all of that. The two apps are split on Step 2 simply because of how Game Freak designed the apps, the Transporter just moves them from 5th gen to the Bank (and probably Step 3, depending on how data in the Bank is stored vs. how data in 6th gen is stored), and then the Bank holds it until you withdraw it into your game.

Whatever this thing is gonna be that's going to recognize hacked Pokémon, it wasn't present in earlier generations, as hacked Pokémon could earlier be transported without any problems, as far as I know. Maybe it's because it's going to work with an online storage now or something? But then again, hacked Pokémon can also be obtained through GTS.

Anyway, must suck for people who want to transport their legitimate event V-Create Rayquaza or Roar of Time Darkrai, or Game Freak is gonna find a way to still transport these legit Pokémon with normally unteachable moves. And must also suck for people who want to transport and unknowlingly obtained a perfectly normal looking hacked Pokémon through GTS.

Also note how the site says: "You may find yourself unable to...." instead of "You will find yourself unable to...."

So hacked Pokémon that have been hacked to be in Cherish Balls will also get past the check? I don't think that's how it's going to work. I do think legitimate Pokémon with normally illegal moves will be able to transport in some way, but how... we'll see. I'm curious how GameFreak will handle the complications one can easily come up with now.

So hacked Pokémon that have been hacked to be in Cherish Balls will also get past the check? I don't think that's how it's going to work. I do think legitimate Pokémon with normally illegal moves will be able to transport in some way, but how... we'll see. I'm curious how GameFreak will handle the complications one can easily come up with now.
Simply look at all pokemon from events, see the cherish ball, so say crustle is in a cherish ball, its not allowed.

Simply look at all pokemon from events, see the cherish ball, so say crustle is in a cherish ball, its not allowed.
Maybe. I think there will go a lot of programming in an anti-hack system. To work perfectly, it will have to scan about everything there is about a Pokémon. Location caught, stats, moves, etc. I'm strongly questioning if this will work perfectly and all legit Pokémon will be able to pass. Maybe the reason GameFreak has never implemented a hack-scan is because it was too hard to manage before? Maybe they have found a way for it to work good now? We'll see...

Last edited:
No they won't. The people who actually want the Bank's full storage space will still pay for it, but the people who don't won't need to be bothered. And Game Freak still makes the same amount of money by charging extra for Bank itself, which Bank users can afford to pay because they'd have to pay 10 times the cost of Bank before it stops being a bargain.

Yes it will. Everyone has to pay now, whether they are planning on actually using the storage or just transferring Pokemon. If a Pokemon transporter was free and separate, all those players who only want to use transporter won't be paying for bank, therefore GameFreak loses money.

And as I've stated, how do you know a separate Pokemon transporter app will be free? if they've created an app good enough to not only fix their current problem, but also fix it for the future, they'll be keeping it for a long time and will therefore need money to maintain. Why would Gamefreak rely solely on the funds from Pokemon bank for the two separate apps? Chances are they wouldn't, and would therefore charge a fee for both apps in order to ensure both apps can continue running.

Yes it will. Everyone has to pay now, whether they are planning on actually using the storage or just transferring Pokemon. If a Pokemon transporter was free and separate, all those players who only want to use transporter won't be paying for bank, therefore GameFreak loses money.

Okay, you obviously don't understand at all what I'm talking about, so let me explain exactly what the Transporter would do:

Transporter:
-Small amount of storage space, either 6 slots or at most, an entire box (depending on whether or not they could cut boxes into fractions, it might be necessary to have a full box's worth of space)
-Transfers between Transporter and the main games would only be one way, you could not deposit Pokemon from the main games to the transfer app.
-Storage space is only temporary, if you keep the transferred Pokemon on there for extended periods of time (say, more than 30 days), they will start charging money for the space.

This way, if you want free transfers, you will get much more limited service than you'd get from the full Bank, the $5/year would be worth paying for the upgraded storage space (100 times what you would get for free), the ability to transfer Pokemon between games without trading, and long term storage space. Those services would warrant upgrading to Bank.

Furthermore, if you notice, I came up with another idea for the free version that discourages long term storage on the free version and allows them to earn back some of the money they'd lose in making it, you'd pay a penalty fee if you store Pokemon on there for extended periods. That, I think, would be a reasonable compromise for a free transfer app. Anyone who only wants this for transfers anyway would probably want to dump their Pokemon directly onto the main games, which would require minimal storage costs.

Okay, you obviously don't understand at all what I'm talking about, so let me explain exactly what the Transporter would do:

Transporter:
-Small amount of storage space, either 6 slots or at most, an entire box (depending on whether or not they could cut boxes into fractions, it might be necessary to have a full box's worth of space)
-Transfers between Transporter and the main games would only be one way, you could not deposit Pokemon from the main games to the transfer app.
-Storage space is only temporary, if you keep the transferred Pokemon on there for extended periods of time (say, more than 30 days), they will start charging money for the space.

This way, if you want free transfers, you will get much more limited service than you'd get from the full Bank, the $5/year would be worth paying for the upgraded storage space (100 times what you would get for free), the ability to transfer Pokemon between games without trading, and long term storage space. Those services would warrant upgrading to Bank.

Furthermore, if you notice, I came up with another idea for the free version that discourages long term storage on the free version and allows them to earn back some of the money they'd lose in making it, you'd pay a penalty fee if you store Pokemon on there for extended periods. That, I think, would be a reasonable compromise for a free transfer app. Anyone who only wants this for transfers anyway would probably want to dump their Pokemon directly onto the main games, which would require minimal storage costs.

Why should Gamefreak have to bother creating a smaller, free app as well as a proper full sized one? That's just plain selfish, expecting Gamefreak to do something because you're not happy with what they've already done.

And what you do not understand is that it doesn't matter how small the free app would be, it would still have to be available long term, therefore will require maintenance in order for it to keep up to date, and to ensure it continues running smoothly.

One thing to note is that no matter how small they make the server storage for a theoretical transfer app, it's still going to cost some money to maintain; it won't be free.

Next, they want to have it online so that they can enforce an up-to-date hack/cheat-checker for any Pokémon going into Gen 6 or beyond.

Lastly, if it's a completely separate app with its own servers, they're not going to be able to maintain those servers indefinitely, especially once they're going to lose any financial backing that keeps it in place, which means that one or two Pokémon generations from now, a separate app will likely get turned off, forever locking off Pokémon of generations previous to Gen 6.

Since they are using a forwards-compatible Pokémon Bank, however, this means that we will be able to send Pokémon from previous generations to future generations as long as Pokémon Bank remains used.

So much arguing. If someone doesn't like it, they don't like it. No need to get so defensive.

I'd love a free app, but I know it won't happen so I'll just have to cope with the $5.

So much arguing. If someone doesn't like it, they don't like it. No need to get so defensive.

I'd love a free app, but I know it won't happen so I'll just have to cope with the $5.

I'm quite certain we've gone beyond that point.

It's come to the point where others are just whinging for the sake of it now, and if they have the right to do so, the rest of us have the right to counter their whinging thoughts with our own. None of us are being defensive, we're simply stating our thoughts, much like they are.

Back
Top Bottom