• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poke Transporter (Transfering Pokemon From Previous Gens)

I won't even pretend to understand why they are unable to communicate, because I honestly have no idea. I've no idea how Gamefreak had gotten themselves into that situation, however, they did, and fortunately, they've found an alternative way around that problem. This solution is long term, which Gamefreak plans to use for the future as well as the present, so we no longer have to worry about the possibility of not being able to transfer our Pokemon coming up once more anytime soon.

I suspect it has more to do with the change in hardware from DS to 3DS than it does Gamefreak messing something up. Sort of like how many older games can't run on a new computer for a variety of hardware and software reasons. It's not the developers fault, technology just marches on.

(Does anyone know if the 3DS has a built in emulator for DS games, or does it also have the DS components to be able to read and play them naturally? My understanding is that the 3DS is not very similar to the DS in terms of components and such).

I suspect it has more to do with the change in hardware from DS to 3DS than it does Gamefreak messing something up. Sort of like how many older games can't run on a new computer for a variety of hardware and software reasons. It's not the developers fault, technology just marches on.

(Does anyone know if the 3DS has a built in emulator for DS games, or does it also have the DS components to be able to read and play them naturally? My understanding is that the 3DS is not very similar to the DS in terms of components and such).
But does that really explain how a DSgame played on a 3DS can still communicate with DS games played on DS models? Other than the IR features, its the consoles that transmit the signal.

But does that really explain how a DSgame played on a 3DS can still communicate with DS games played on DS models? Other than the IR features, its the consoles that transmit the signal.
Perhaps the 3DS and DS have slightly different communications protocols in the way they broadcast Wi-Fi? Whatever the case, it's a bit of a mystery considering that when a 3DS is operating in "DS mode" it's 100% compatible with DS games on local multiplayer, but the same cannot be said when the 3DS is operating in its native (3DS) mode.

Last edited:
Well when two DS games are wireless talking to each other they are using the same language, the system they are on shouldn't effect that cause it's just sending out the signal that is picked up by the other and read.

I assume (I don't know for certain) that a 3DS game and a DS game don't speak the same language, so they could send signals to each other all day, but they wouldn't be able to understand and use the information they were receiving. There is probably a lot more to it than that but that's my basic understanding of how these sorts of things work.

It could be anything though, I don't know necessarily WHY old games won't play on newer computers either, other than software/driver/hardware/ect differences are playing into it.

Edit: also ninjaed with a much better and more succint post! I wish I could think and type a bit faster.

And I'm not exactly known for brevity when I try explaining things.

An analogy to consider, though: Try getting a GBA game to communicate with an original GB game (on a GBA). The original Game Boy's communication protocols were half-duplex (one way at a time) but GBA communication is full-duplex (simultaneous two-way). Even if the actual bits sent over the wire are the same, it's still a pretty big difference to overcome (related: even when playing via GBA, you can't use a GBA cable to connect original GB games).

Last edited:
3.5 million registered users of Pokémon Global Link @ $5 each = $17.5 million.

Each Pokémon takes up about 136 bytes, and you can store 3,000 of them in the Bank = 400kB for each user.

3.5 million users with 400kB of data each = 1.3TB storage required.

Those are the numbers. You can interpret that as you wish.

Servers cost more than the two terabyte hard drive you buy at Best Buy. Also maintenance.

From what I know, the 3DS uses a combination of some of its own native hardware as well as DS components in order to play DS games. The DS components include 2D rendering hardware, which isn't supported in 3DS-native games.

So the 3DS is a superset of the DS, but 3DS games can't use the entire super-set.

Each Pokémon takes up about 136 bytes, and you can store 3,000 of them in the Bank = 400kB for each user.

Servers cost more than the two terabyte hard drive you buy at Best Buy. Also maintenance.
Like I said, those are just the raw numbers. Oh and don't forget that $17.5 million is an annual revenue.

Like I said, those are just the raw numbers. Oh and don't forget that $17.5 million is an annual revenue.

Don't forget Gamefreak do not receive all the profits. They are only one of three that own the Pokemon franchise. I'm willing to bet Nintendo receives most profits, although I'm unsure how much of the Pokemon franchise Gamefreak actually own.

Also, the more money they have, the more money they are able to spend on developing more titles, so I don't understand why that's a bad thing.

Don't forget Gamefreak do not receive all the profits. They are only one of three that own the Pokemon franchise. I'm willing to bet Nintendo receives most profits, although I'm unsure how much of the Pokemon franchise Gamefreak actually own.

Also, the more money they have, the more money they are able to spend on developing more titles, so I don't understand why that's a bad thing.
Did I say it was a bad thing? I'm merely pointing out the numbers.

They're not really the numbers. They're some numbers of the many that'll go into running the service.

Did I say it was a bad thing? I'm merely pointing out the numbers.

For what purpose? It's nothing more than a wild estimate.

I never stated you said it was a bad thing, however, a few people have been taking serious issue to being charged an annual fee, and that part of my post was a thought intended for those who do believe it's a bad thing.

Huh, its happening as I expected it. One console app, allowing easy and swift transferring. Didn't expect the cloud storage NOR did I expect a 5 euro annual price. But hey, its worth it.

From what I know, the 3DS uses a combination of some of its own native hardware as well as DS components in order to play DS games. The DS components include 2D rendering hardware, which isn't supported in 3DS-native games.
Interesting.

On the GB/GBA note, I ran across this page where somebody describes the hassles of trying to trade G1/2 Pokemon between two GBA's. If you wanted to use GBA's to communicate in Game Boy modes you couldn't just connect them via GBA link cable, you needed an actual GB (Pocket/Color) link cable. Isn't that weird?

Sooooo.... correct me if i'm wrong but what I'm getting from reading about pokemon bank is...
1-you have to pay to use the poke-cloud. (After the free subscription) you transfer all the poke you want from pokemon black and white 1&2.
2-you can ONLY trade pokemon FROM black and white 1&2 to pokemon x&y. Meaning any pokemon from gens before need to be traded over using (Imo) the most stupid, inconvenient, and unnecessary transfer system ever! Which sucks! (To me)
And 3- no item will transfer, also no hacked pokemon will be allowed to enter the poke-cloud therefore making hacked pokemon unusable in the next game.
Is that right? Am I wrong? Please exsplain!

Sooooo.... correct me if i'm wrong but what I'm getting from reading about pokemon bank is...
1-you have to pay to use the poke-cloud. (After the free subscription) you transfer all the poke you want from pokemon black and white 1&2.
2-you can ONLY trade pokemon FROM black and white 1&2 to pokemon x&y. Meaning any pokemon from gens before need to be traded over using (Imo) the most stupid, inconvenient, and unnecessary transfer system ever! Which sucks! (To me)
And 3- no item will transfer, also no hacked pokemon will be allowed to enter the poke-cloud therefore making hacked pokemon unusable in the next game.
Is that right? Am I wrong? Please exsplain!

1 - Basically, yes. You buy Bank and can download Transporter for no extra cost once you download Bank.

2 - Again, yes. You can't send Pokemon from back from Bank to the Gen V games once they've been sent to Bank.

3 - We don't know for sure yet, as Game Freak/Nintendo have not confirmed anything. In the past we haven't been able to transfer items between generations, so it's fair to assume that it'll be the same for Bank. As for hacked Pokemon, on the main X/Y site there is a warning stating that illegally obtained Pokemon may not be transferable. There's no real way of knowing for sure until someone tries.

We don't know for sure yet, as Game Freak/Nintendo have not confirmed anything. In the past we haven't been able to transfer items between generations, so it's fair to assume that it'll be the same for Bank.

Not really true- you could transfer held items from Gen 3 to Gen 4. It's only 4 to 5 you couldn't. (Putting aside 1 to 2 because that's a really weird case.) Given that there was something of a reason for that- TMs no longer existed as holdable items in 5- then unless something similar to that happens between 5 and 6 there's no reason items couldn't be transferred (though that's not a guarantee that it'll be possible, either).

It also saves Game Freak having to invent some rather tiresome transfer system each generation. Pal Park from Gen IV was fun for a while, but the Poke Transfer system from Gen V was flat out annoying.
Yeah, Poke Transfer sucked and sucked hard. I'm good at it now, but when I first started out I'd have to have my hubby do it, as my aim was awful.
Also, the '6 Pokemon per go' limit has been removed as well. I believe that was limited to once per day as well, if I remember correctly. From the Pokemon Direct, you could see whole boxes of Pokemon were being moved at once.
The six Pokemon a day limit was transferring Gen III Pokemon to Gen IV games. And if you changed your DS's internal clock because of DST, you were screwed for at least a day. Same thing if you switched your Gen IV game between two different systems. It was a pain in the skidplate and I ended up losing trades because of that crap. But it looks like we may no longer have to deal with that now.

Now, what would make this perfect? The ability to send over items. I don't want all those Berries to sit in my bag and rot again, not to mention the Master Balls. =/

I agree. Exspecially when trying to keep the items some pokemon need to evolve. I was real sad tovlet those go...

The item thing didn't bother me too much, although I wish it could have applied only to TM's. I haven't been able to get my hands on a thick club in gen 5 (the one time I found a marowak with one it used fling first turn >.<)

I wonder if the item thing will apply again or not, I don't imagine they much like it when people transfer master balls and things around either eh?

Back
Top Bottom