• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poke Transporter (Transfering Pokemon From Previous Gens)

If it could pick up rng there would of been more than 1500 bans in the wifi event.

It prob picks up impossible catch lvls, locations, moves and maybe id/seed shinyness. Basically anything action replayed by a kiddie.

Im afraid that the system would also trace "innocent" pokemons...

RNG manipulation can't and won't be used to detect hacking. GF has already said they don't consider it "cheating", plus since we're dealing with a probability never can rule out if it was caught/bred legit, you can only declare it "improbable".

You can prove things like invalid catch (e.g. hidden ability starter that is female or not in a Cherish Ball), illegal stats/moves/ability, but you can't conclusively prove an RNG. (Did you know that if you write pi out to 762 digits it goes "9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9" ?) Also note that having a centralized storage system may be able to detect potential clones of a given Pokemon (same species/IVs/OT/PV), but only 'potential', and it has to make certain exceptions (e.g. Shedinja's values are legitimately cloned from Nincada).

Last edited:
Re: Transfering Pokemon Over From Other Gens

Nintendo also revealed that since the service will require constant maintenance, there's going to be an annual fee to use the service. In Japan, the fee will be 500 yen, or about $5.
- KOTAKU US.

$5? I was expecting much more.
Trust me it not going to be that cheap in the US it easily going to be between 10 and 20 bucks here

There is going to be a 30 day trail at any point until January 31 so as long as you get it before that time it will be free. So that means for people that will most likely use it just to transfer pokemon as soon as it comes out it will not cost a damn thing. It seems like the fee will be there for the late comers.

Also according to serebii it is not gonna be a monthly thing its gonna be yearly which in the grand scheme of things is not noticeable especially if it is around 5 dollars.

Last edited:
I was worried that there were be incompatibility between the new gens but at there are things that it doesn't make sense, like the event of mewtwo and Genesect, the event of the shiny creation trio, that are too late in BW2 span.

An incompatibility issue is a risk very big for a franchise of pokemon. It means that GF have to put all 700+pokemon in two games or the pokemon won't be accessible.

The problem of incompatibility here is that the Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS can't connect between each other. The 3DS can connect to the DS only in DS games. Which means that the standard way to transfer isn't possible to do.

In the development they tried to connect the version but it's impossible, they can. The only way is doing an app outside the game that cost money doing it. But they want to solutionate the problem for this gen and the next games of pokemon with the same issue. Putting the Pokemon on the Internet (the DS can connect to that) and connect them to the 3DS.

Apart of that, there's the desire to store the pokemon. There have been attempts to do it, (Box, Ranch) but they were a fail in sales and can't be applicable in a new generation.

When the game was in the E3, they can reveal this because the solution was in a such ealry stage to be announced (a game like that takes less time than the main GF games) and can't be announced.

What they do until we have a solution for the application? They should make the movie events as usual for people to not notice something rare. But apart of that,t they apart the relationship between the movie events and XY at maximum because at the point of the events they can't guarantee that this pokemon will be on XY.

Because that, what about the Mewtwo form (now MegaMewtwo). When the form was made, it was made witht he intention of being in the movie and it was planned before GF realized that the DS and the 3DS can't connect. That could be ridiculous for people like them, but is possible because those games with transferring like Pokemon are rare. And they are focusing on XY and haven't try to connect with Gen V. When Game Freak tried to connect XY with Gen V, they can't connect the games. They ask Nintendo and they say it's impossible and the only way possible is through an app in the Internet. They start working on it...

But there's a problem. They have to complete XY in time. And the application is an idea but not formerly known. What they do during the mean time?

Hide all the information that involves transferring and Mewtwo. We release Mewtwo for the movie and we don't bring info about it, don't bring merchandise into his new form, and hide all the info about it until we get a solution of the problem.

By August CoroCoro, they ahve done a solution for this because the statement "The biggest scoop of the century" (later being Megaevolutions). And if not, in early August they have known about the solution "Pokemon Bank" being more that a app in early stages. In mid-August we have gotten Megaevolutions with Mewtwo being one of them.

Today we know how connect the two gen, by pokemon Bank.

But we is having a cost (and not only money) for all the inciompatibility throough the early way.
-We know about the compatibility thing 1 months when in DP and BW it was known 4 months before release.
-We need an app thast cost money (in a weird method).
-And finally, the app is not out on 12th october. When on 12th October the games XY will be released, they are incompatible. Fortunately, the situation are temporary and not permanently.

This is the reason of when the E3, Game Freak said "We are working on it". It was rare because a game like XY 4 months before release (with the summer in the middle) can't be edited with such big changes without risk. Now we know why they amde that statement: they are working in an app that because it was planned late (and they are busy with X and Y) the app has to release late.

Re: Pokemon Transfer (Transfering Pokemon From Previous Gens)

Ok I've been getting confused between the two.

Pokemon BANK has the annual fee to use Cloud Storage for your Pokemon (and discussion on that should be in the Pokemon Bank thread).

PokeTransfer is FREE and it allows you to transfer over your old Pokemon.

All seems well and reasonable.

See, I've been hearing people say different things about this all day and no official statement on this. If transferring is indeed free, there's no problem. But having to pay for Bank just to transfer would be a bit ridiculous.

EDIT: Okay, looking at the official site (http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/strategy/), the chart there seems to indicate that Poke Transporter works in tandem with Pokemon Bank, the Poke Transporter app itself is free, but the app simply dumps the Pokemon into Pokemon Bank. So that would mean you do need to buy Pokemon Bank to transfer Pokemon to the main games.

Last edited:
PokeBank costs the annual fee. PokePorter is free, but in order to use it you need an active PokeBank account/app/whatever. So while it's technically free in that it's bundled with PokeBank, if you don't have PokeBank you can't use it. While this is a little irritating, I can totally see how they might have had to do it that way. I'm not too fussed for only 5 bucks a year (which I'm pretty sure has already been confirmed).

So I just realized, Game Freak outright admits that they are trying to maintain this for future releases. Perhaps they are preparing for the scenario where Gen VII is also released on the same system as Gen VI?

Trust me it not going to be that cheap in the US it easily going to be between 10 and 20 bucks here

Considering the US hasn't price gouged the price of any Pokemon game despite now being region locked, what makes you think they're going to do that for an app?

I don't even recall any games on WiiWare or VC ever being price gouged the way you're suggesting.

That would be great, since I wouldn't have to buy another console in a relatively long time. Something tells me that the 3Ds will not have the same lifespan as the DS had though, so I have doubts about Gen VII being released for the said system.

So I just realized, Game Freak outright admits that they are trying to maintain this for future releases. Perhaps they are preparing for the scenario where Gen VII is also released on the same system as Gen VI?

If it means 7th gen brings less positive changes to the series like 5th gen did, I am very worried now.

Either way, I have to wonder how they'll handle this 7th gen, because it's not going to be that simple. Even if 7th gen does end up on the 3DS, you still need a new Bank app for 7th gen for compatibility reasons, since simply using the 6th gen Bank would mean you could take a Pokemon from a 7th gen game and move it to a 6th gen game. And that's not going to happen anymore since it'd be way more restrictive than it was in 2nd gen.

If it means 7th gen brings less positive changes to the series like 5th gen did, I am very worried now.

Either way, I have to wonder how they'll handle this 7th gen, because it's not going to be that simple. Even if 7th gen does end up on the 3DS, you still need a new Bank app for 7th gen for compatibility reasons, since simply using the 6th gen Bank would mean you could take a Pokemon from a 7th gen game and move it to a 6th gen game. And that's not going to happen anymore since it'd be way more restrictive than it was in 2nd gen.
I'd assume there'd be an update of sorts, but that's besides the point since we're a long way from there. What this does at least suggest is that Game Freak is planning future releases on this system

HOENN CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

I think being able to restrict trading across gens will be way easier than you're making it out to be, especially since it was heavily implied in the nintendo direct that the bank aspect is meant to be a long term solution to pokemon storage and transferring between future games.

I honestly don't see where it'd be hard to just have the system check that the pokemon and it's moves existed in the game it's being moved to, if it's a no go than it won't let you transfer that's not really a difficult concept to code.

I'd assume there'd be an update of sorts, but that's besides the point since we're a long way from there. What this does at least suggest is that Game Freak is planning future releases on this system

HOENN CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

I don't think an update would work unless they want to eliminate 6th gen storage space when 7th gen begins.

Also, future 6th gen games are practically a given anyway since you need multiple games to complete the Pokedex and for the generation to retain longevity. Not only that, but they would pretty much have to know that there are more 6th gen games on the way because the way the development cycle works, the next game or two would already have to have started development. So they've already planned how 6th gen will play out by this point.

I think being able to restrict trading across gens will be way easier than you're making it out to be, especially since it was heavily implied in the nintendo direct that the bank aspect is meant to be a long term solution to pokemon storage and transferring between future games.

I honestly don't see where it'd be hard to just have the system check that the pokemon and it's moves existed in the game it's being moved to, if it's a no go than it won't let you transfer that's not really a difficult concept to code.

I wasn't talking about how difficult it would be to code, I was referring to the fact that the new games would come with new Pokemon, new moves, new items, and new abilities, and you would be banned from transferring all of those back to the 6th gen games. Given how complex the games have become, it gets harder and harder to restrict each gen, so it's just much more elegant to do one way transfers as they have done since 4th gen.

I'll just leave this here:

Gen I to Gen II

• Buy a second Gameboy and Link Cable (or bother friends to trade all 150 of your Pokemon)--pretty sure this would have run up to at least $100 at the time

Gen III to Gen IV
  • Free!

Gen IV to Gen V
  • Buy a second DS (or again, bother your friend)--you'd be lucky if this only went up to $100

Sure, many people had multiple DS's. Many don't. So now we're being asked to pay $5 annual, and considering how much more money it was in previous generations (even though Game Freak did not directly make money) to keep all your Pokemon with you, I'm really still having trouble seeing what the problem is.

Again, I think they'll eventually make Poke Transporter free and separate (but limit the amount to transfer) in the future once people realize how useful the Poke Bank feature is.

I was wondering; has it been announced how often we have to pay? I'm gonna guess monthly.

Again, I think they'll eventually make Poke Transporter free and separate (but limit the amount to transfer) in the future once people realize how useful the Poke Bank feature is.

If they really considered the cost an issue, why did they not do this now instead of creating some asinine system that doesn't use the massive storage space they're charging you for?

I was wondering; has it been announced how often we have to pay? I'm gonna guess monthly.

$5/year.

Re: Transfering Pokemon Over From Other Gens

I totally called this method. Only thing I didn't call was the use of Cloud - I thought it'd be a regular download app.

I know people are defending them for charging for this b/c "they have to maintain servers/update for future titles..." but I mean come on....how about the dream world/global link??? Has the exact same issues.
A pint of lager in a pub costs about the same as the annual fee - it's pocket change.

If they really considered the cost an issue, why did they not do this now instead of creating some asinine system that doesn't use the massive storage space they're charging you for?

$5/year.
The plan is to have the service for future generations too.

Also, beats buying another 3DS to trade with yourself.

Re: Pokemon Transporter (Transfering Pokemon From Previous Gens)

According to the site update, Nintendo are also cracking down on illegal software made Pokemon.

Note: You may find yourself unable to use Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter to deposit any Pokémon created illegally by software unauthorized by The Pokémon Company and Nintendo into your online Boxes, or to move these Pokémon between online Boxes.

Source: Pokémon Bank

It's probably the same hollow threat as usual. Gotta suck if it mistakes your RNG Pokemon has hacked.
I'm really hoping it is a hollow threat, considering some of the shinies that I have gleaned from the GTS.

Yes, I have quite a few that I know are hacked. I don't care that they were and I'm not about to go offering them on GTS. They came to me as is and they stay with me as is, no questions asked. I don't use them in competitive battling, I don't trade them and at most, they make for good breeding stock. I will be upset if they are denied entry. Granted, it's understandable but I'm not really the kind of person who would pass off a shiny No Guard Golurk onto some unsuspecting player. I traded for it, I want to keep it. Maybe I'm crazy in that regard but that's how I am.
Im afraid that the system would also trace "innocent" pokemons...
Ugh, good point. Remember the clusterfrell that was the swear filter on GTS? Please, let's not have a repeat of that sort of thing.

On a brighter note, I really am glad that we have a way of transferring. I was worried that I may not have been able to move some of my more valued Pokemon onto X and Y. I'm not terribly upset that I have to pay for it; I've got plenty of funds on my 3DS. And hey, if I start getting low on cash, I'll just get another pre-paid card. But at least now I know I can bring my Riser with me to Kalos. That makes me happy beyond compare.

The only thing I worry about is event moves. A friend of mine was disqualified from a UK VGC event for having a Worlds Weavile, as the system hadn't been updated to allow the special moves.

Back
Top Bottom