• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Poke Transporter (Transfering Pokemon From Previous Gens)

You seem to not understand how this works. Poke Transporter is free, correct, but it only works if you have Bank. All Transporter does is take them from 5th gen and dump them in the Bank. So you're still required to pay if all you want is to transfer Pokemon, which is a ripoff.

As for the free trial, that's not good enough and I won't be able to make much use of it.

But if by 'feature' you mean the cross-gen transfer capability, then yes, they took it from the main game and replaced it with a much sturdier and more capable system which can be updated and tweaked to suit the needs of future games & generations.

So? I'd rather have a free system with all of its clunkiness than to be forced to pay for something that runs smoother. The fact that there is no free option for this is the entire problem for this.

They're NOT "taking features out" of XY. The Bank is in addition to the regular in-game PC storage, like the GTS in Gen IV and Dream World in Gen V.

I'm not complaining about the Bank not being free, I agree that the cost of that is reasonable. I'm saying that the transfer process should be free, and not be required to use the Bank to work.

I can agree with all of the things you're saying. Truth be told Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter should have been two completely separate entities, non reliant of each other imo. You should not have to buy something such as Pokémon Bank (that me myself I don't see using very much) in order to transfer your old Pokémon to X&Y.

It is worrying that a previously free feature (transfering your Pokemon from 1 gen to another) is now going to be free no longer and require you to pay. Yes you might not miss $5 a year (bet it's £5 in the UK which is a lot more than $5) but then what about when they top it up to 10, then 15, then 20.

That's what a slippery slope is, the increase is gradual so that people on here will always be like oh its only a small increase, oh you get this now as well etc, but at the end of the day, its costing more and more. Then when the next feature requires payment, they will say, well you already pay for Pokemon Bank, an extra $5 to do whatever isn't that much different etc etc.

How do you know there will be a price increase, it very well could remain around $5 USD as long as this exists.

It is worrying that a previously free feature (transfering your Pokemon from 1 gen to another) is now going to be free no longer and require you to pay. Yes you might not miss $5 a year (bet it's £5 in the UK which is a lot more than $5) but then what about when they top it up to 10, then 15, then 20.

That's what a slippery slope is, the increase is gradual so that people on here will always be like oh its only a small increase, oh you get this now as well etc, but at the end of the day, its costing more and more. Then when the next feature requires payment, they will say, well you already pay for Pokemon Bank, an extra $5 to do whatever isn't that much different etc etc.

How do you know there will be a price increase, it very well could remain around $5 USD as long as this exists.

people like using the slippery slope of corporate greed as an excuse to demonize any 'paid service' as ive stated in other threads, MMOs like WoW have left their sub fees unchanged for their entire existance, and given inflation over the years, we are paying relatively less. i think we need to give GF the benefit of the doubt and not assume they will be money grubbing monsters. major trust issues noted by some of these pokefans :-/

Oh please it's a slippery slope. Once they know they can take $5 they will try and take more. Slight fall in profits one year, oh we need to charge $8 now, for um R&D yeah lets blame it on that. Then the next year, oh it's only a small $2 increase to $10 it's not a big deal. $2 isn't much is it? Then you just fall into a spiral, and gradually less and less stuff will become free, and the prices will be going up.

Oh please it's a slippery slope. Once they know they can take $5 they will try and take more. Slight fall in profits one year, oh we need to charge $8 now, for um R&D yeah lets blame it on that. Then the next year, oh it's only a small $2 increase to $10 it's not a big deal. $2 isn't much is it? Then you just fall into a spiral, and gradually less and less stuff will become free, and the prices will be going up.

If world of Warcraft who is now under the publisher Activision of all companys has the same $15 sub fee as it did 1o years ago then it is a safe bet that gamefreak will keep the same price consistent.

It us a truly strange to see pokefans have less trust in gamefreak then wow and cod fans have trust in Activision.

Has anyone pointed out yet that Pokemon Bank comes out late December and the free trial period runs to late January? So there's a positive that you'll have plenty of time to plan, but a negative that you'll have to wait a couple of months after the release date to transfer Pokemon.

Has anyone pointed out yet that Pokemon Bank comes out late December and the free trial period runs to late January? So there's a positive that you'll have plenty of time to plan, but a negative that you'll have to wait a couple of months after the release date to transfer Pokemon.

Really don't see any reason for this delay, why not release it when it comes out? Also disapointed it won't work for DPPTHGSS, I know it was always unlikely to be able to go from 4 to 6, but there really was nothing stopping them and it would fix that nasty mistake of theirs not letting you transerfer items from DPPTHGSS to BWBW2

EDIT: Why would we trust Game Freak/Nintendo who have repeatedly shown they think we are fools. They treat fans with such disdain and disrespect. There's a lot of unrelated events, that show they actually think fans are quite stupid. Hoping we'd forget the GS Ball, remove features from that are received positively from future games. And it's not just Pokemon, they skipped remaking Majoras mask as well, hoping we'd forget, they didn't do anything to fix their mistake re: gen 2 and 3 linkage, in fact they never try and fix mistakes, they just ignore them and pretend they never happened thinking their fans are dumb and will forget.

A company that thinks I am dumb and treats with disdain in other areas, doesn't do anything to earn my trust when it starts charging me for things which previously were free. Nintendo at the end of the day, does broadly make good games, but they are a corporation and their goal is to make money.

I nearly died of laughter watching Pokemon Direct when they said how they invented Pokemon Bank so people could carry their Pokemon they bonded with through to future gens (supposedly they had this idea in Crystal, why then, did they let everyone lose their beloved Pokemon in the transfer to Gen 3). They don't care about your bond with Pokemon, they care about how to extract money from you or your parents.

I don't see it being long until some events become pay for events. Pay $5 and get a special Magikarp, wait didn't someone in the anime already try that? :p

Last edited:
Really don't see any reason for this delay, why not release it when it comes out? Also disapointed it won't work for DPPTHGSS, I know it was always unlikely to be able to go from 4 to 6, but there really was nothing stopping them and it would fix that nasty mistake of theirs not letting you transerfer items from DPPTHGSS to BWBW2

It's called development time? Much like the gap between the 8th of January and the 12th of October.

Also, that wasn't a 'mistake'. It was to prevent people from swapping TMs over to Gen V, where they were no longer single use or holdable by Pokemon.
It also prevents people transferring rarer items such as Soul Dew & the Orbs over.

The only other option would be NO way to transfer at all or for them to waste dev time creating a way for the DS and 3DS games to talk to each other (if that is possible at all). The bank is apparently a solution to existing compatibility problems.

The Bank is in no way necessary for compatibility reasons. We need an app to transfer this time, yes, but that exact app is not and should not be necessary for transfers.

They decided to nip that problem at the bud and introduce something that will work for all generations to come so they don't have to waste dev time figuring out cross platform/generational transferring. What this is, is a long term solution to avoid something like Gen 3 happening again, you are demanding a free short term solution, which is a waste of their dev time because they will have to come up with a new one for each game/system, instead of just tweaking an existing one in the clouds that doesn't have to worry about cross console compatibility.

I am very skeptical that this is a legitimate long term solution because of the compatibility issues that arise each generation, when they create new Pokemon, new moves, new abilities, etc. That's the reason we always get one way transfers instead of full trading like we had in 2nd gen, it becomes increasingly less worth doing each generation. So I doubt this one program will work for all generations to come, I think we'll need to transfer our Pokemon to a new version of Bank each gen.

people like using the slippery slope of corporate greed as an excuse to demonize any 'paid service' as ive stated in other threads, MMOs like WoW have left their sub fees unchanged for their entire existance, and given inflation over the years, we are paying relatively less. i think we need to give GF the benefit of the doubt and not assume they will be money grubbing monsters. major trust issues noted by some of these pokefans :-/

Game Freak hasn't earned my trust with this yet because they have a constant habit of reserving certain gameplay features for add ons, sometimes even going as far as removing them from the main games to do so. There's plenty of examples of this throughout the games' history:

-Event Pokemon which are intentionally made unavailable in the games for promotional purposes.
-Features such as gym leader rematches and Battle Frontiers, which would otherwise be standard in the series at this point, are reserved for 3rd versions and remakes to make them seem like improvements over the first games despite being mainly the same game.
-The DW was required for catching certain Pokemon and berry planting.

And now this. They're going to need to nip these kinds of problems in the bud if they want my confidence in their abilities to make worthwhile add ons, if anything it's been getting worse lately.

It's called development time? Much like the gap between the 8th of January and the 12th of October.

Also, that wasn't a 'mistake'. It was to prevent people from swapping TMs over to Gen V, where they were no longer single use or holdable by Pokemon.
It also prevents people transferring rarer items such as Soul Dew & the Orbs over.

I didn't mean mistake as in by accident, I meant mistake as in they made a big mistake which peed a lot of people off. They made Gen 3 incompatible with past gens so they could make more money flogging FRLG, and people want me to trust them now??? At least Team Rocket are open about being thieves.

And really, from what we've seen they've got it ready already, it seemed to be working fine in the previews, and they have over a whole month still to fix any errors. They were able to release Pokemon Radar the same time as BW2, and Pokemon Bank looks a lot less complex to programme than Pokemon Radar.

EDIT: Why would we trust Game Freak/Nintendo who have repeatedly shown they think we are fools. They treat fans with such disdain and disrespect. There's a lot of unrelated events, that show they actually think fans are quite stupid. Hoping we'd forget the GS Ball, remove features from that are received positively from future games. And it's not just Pokemon, they skipped remaking Majoras mask as well, hoping we'd forget, they didn't do anything to fix their mistake re: gen 2 and 3 linkage, in fact they never try and fix mistakes, they just ignore them and pretend they never happened thinking their fans are dumb and will forget.

They're trying to avoid what happened in gen 3 and you're angry at them? The change from gen 2 to gen 3 made the game better at the expense of them not having the technology to transfer pokemon over between the two. (even if they hadn't changed the data structure there's no way to know for sure that transfering between platforms would have been doable) You ask why didn't they do it then? I don't know that you've noticed but technology has improved by leaps and bounds, what they are doing now wouldn't have been possible back then, and certainly wouldn't have been realistic for customers to use even if it could have been implemented.

The whole deal with the GS ball, well I don't know what you're getting onto, it was obtained through a feature that wasn't available outside of Japan, if anything you should blame NoA for not devising another way to distribute celebi/gs ball not Game Freak or Nintendo as a whole. I'm not really certain where you're tying Majoras Mask into all of this, since Game Freak is not responsible for that game?

Game Freak is a second party developer, you can't interchange blame between Nintendo and Game Freak because they are not the same entity.

Edit:

I am very skeptical that this is a legitimate long term solution because of the compatibility issues that arise each generation, when they create new Pokemon, new moves, new abilities, etc. That's the reason we always get one way transfers instead of full trading like we had in 2nd gen, it becomes increasingly less worth doing each generation. So I doubt this one program will work for all generations to come, I think we'll need to transfer our Pokemon to a new version of Bank each gen.

You obviously don't have a very strong grasp on how working with code works, because you keep spouting this as if it will be an issue, when it pretty obviously isn't.

They're trying to avoid what happened in gen 3 and you're angry at them? The change from gen 2 to gen 3 made the game better at the expense of them not having the technology to transfer pokemon over between the two. (even if they hadn't changed the data structure there's no way to know for sure that transfering between platforms would have been doable) You ask why didn't they do it then? I don't know that you've noticed but technology has improved by leaps and bounds, what they are doing now wouldn't have been possible back then, and certainly wouldn't have been realistic for customers to use even if it could have been implemented.

The whole deal with the GS ball, well I don't know what you're getting onto, it was obtained through a feature that wasn't available outside of Japan, if anything you should blame NoA for not devising another way to distribute celebi/gs ball not Game Freak or Nintendo as a whole. I'm not really certain where you're tying Majoras Mask into all of this, since Game Freak is not responsible for that game?

Game Freak is a second party developer, you can't interchange blame between Nintendo and Game Freak because they are not the same entity.

I am talking about Nintendo.

I'm not saying they could do Pokemon Bank in Gen 3, but they could have found some way to transfer between gens, after all they did from 1 to 2. Instead they cut it off completely to make more room for FRLG, they didnt expect the backlash, but instead of backing down and admitting their mistake they were dreaming about a way they could profit from the fans feeling this attached to the game data.

The reason this requires Pokémon Bank is probably for the anti-cheat system. If Pokémon data was left on the SD card, it's very likely much more likely it'll get hacked open

The reason this requires Pokémon Bank is probably for the anti-cheat system. If Pokémon data was left on the SD card, it's very likely much more likely it'll get hacked open

And this, I can see why you want to ban hacked Pokemon from online play, as it's unfair on other players, but if I want to move my Lv 100 Shiny Celebi with Flamethrower and perfect IVs and Evs, why can't I? What does Nintendo gain by stopping me from using this Pokemon ingame? I can understand stopping it in online play, but if I want to cheat on my own game without effecting anyone else, why can't I?

You obviously don't have a very strong grasp on how working with code works, because you keep spouting this as if it will be an issue, when it pretty obviously isn't.

I know enough to know that cross gen compatibility is not simple enough for a one size fits all program to communicate with each and every one, that's absolutely ridiculous. It would have to be constantly updated with each new Pokemon generation, and then when a new handheld is released it has to be designed to work on those consoles. The idea that you can simply let it sit there forever without having to actually do anything is utterly laughable.

I know enough to know that cross gen compatibility is not simple enough for a one size fits all program to communicate with each and every one, that's absolutely ridiculous. It would have to be constantly updated with each new Pokemon generation, and then when a new handheld is released it has to be designed to work on those consoles. The idea that you can simply let it sit there forever without having to actually do anything is utterly laughable.

hence the maintenance fee. now it all makes sense, right?

GameFreak doesn't owe you anything.

Pokemon players sure have short memories... Remember Ruby and Sapphire? Remember how you couldn't bring your Gen II guys over? Yeah, people were upset that they couldn't bring their level 100 Mewtwo and Charizard to ride roughshod over the game, but they got over it.

Remember in Diamond and Pearl? GameFreak decided to be nice and put in a new feature to transfer from Gen III to IV, but you had to wait until after defeating the Elite Four to transfer, and could only transfer six per day? People complained, but got over it eventually. They improved it for Gen IV to V, but you still had to wait until post-game and you had to play a silly minigame. People again complained, but again, they got over it.

On the eve of the biggest release in the history of the franchise-- The first fully 3D main series RPG. Packed with features. An all-new type has been added. Mega Evolution to put an even further spin on battling... and all most people can do is complain that they can't let go of the past and bring their old Pokemon into the new game... But wait! YOU CAN. Utilizing an optional program and feature, the same guys you've had since Gen III can come into the new age... You can store up to 3000 Pokemon. Wait? Not 151. Not 358. Not 754. Not even a thousand. THREE THOUSAND. More than 4x the number of currently known Pokemon can be stored indefinitely in the Pokemon bank.

But its not free. Nor should it be. Nintendo has to maintain the servers and protect all that data. Think about the millions upon millions of people who play Pokemon... Think of how many Pokemon that could add up to-- 3000 times what? 12+ million copies sold? That is A LOT of Pokemon to keep track of... Why should such a service that will maintain all that data for years to come be free? Who would maintain it? Who would service it? Who would support it when/if problems occur with storage/transfer? How would it be paid for?

Five dollars a year sounds like a steal to me.

I am perfectly happy to pay $5 a year to have my eight years of Pokemon collected impervious to being lost, or going through the wash. Just a few months ago, I nearly lost all of my Pokemon due to an accident that had nothing to do with me. People pay $60 a year for XBL, just to PLAY with their friends, and nobody cares.. Sure, they may get two games a month, but that's still not much for $60. How is this different? It's simply like paying to have GF store your Pokemon for you.

Also, people are complaining that the Global Link was free, but the Global Link DIDN'T allow you to store 3,000 nearly 100% unique Pokemon, each with individual data. $5 is a pretty good price for that amount of storage.

And this, I can see why you want to ban hacked Pokemon from online play, as it's unfair on other players, but if I want to move my Lv 100 Shiny Celebi with Flamethrower and perfect IVs and Evs, why can't I? What does Nintendo gain by stopping me from using this Pokemon ingame? I can understand stopping it in online play, but if I want to cheat on my own game without effecting anyone else, why can't I?
Because of local play. There's a lot of versus battling and trading that goes on that doesn't happen online nor require an online connection.

Back
Top Bottom