• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

I see. So ash gets mostly the popular Pokémon?

Well yeah. I mean just look at how many regional starter Pokemon Ash has gotten throughout the years. The only god-tier Pokemon (in terms of marketability) that he hasn't gotten are stuff like Mewtwo, Eevee and Lucario not that this is a bad thing.

Another thing to take into account for the lack of evolutions on certain mons is how animation-friendly it is the evolved form. Corphish and Buizel's evolutions look more or less the same but with more complicated details, so the animations vastly prefered their pre evolved forms.

BW was the king of re used animation, so of course Ash's reserves which were going to appear less evolved, while only one of his starter trio did.

Nowadays it's hard to say if that's still a rule, as we have Tsareena, Primarina and Snowy at the same time. But in Rowlet's case I'm sure that it didn't evolve because of its gag.

Buizel's evolutions look more or less the same but with more complicated details, so the animations vastly prefered their pre evolved forms.
Floatzel isn’t really complicated when compared to Buizel. It’s just literally longer, has a larger floatation device and face markings.

Surprised they never really did much with the Dream World in Black and White: seems easy enough to combine with Ash's larger mon set.

Ash: Man, that was a strange dream I just had....wait where did this Pokeball come from?

Surprised they never really did much with the Dream World in Black and White: seems easy enough to combine with Ash's larger mon set.

Ash: Man, that was a strange dream I just had....wait where did this Pokeball come from?
Honestly, I'm not surprised that Best Wishes didn't do anything with that, considering how much of its potential it left unused. Like the actual PWT, example.

...I do have to wonder how much the earthquake screwed them over....though I'd at least argue the junior cup thing was their somewhat PWT replacement.
Replacement, yeah, but it was nowhere near as epic as the actual World Tournament could have been. Imagine the potential of returning characters it could have provided!

Replacement, yeah, but it was nowhere near as epic as the actual World Tournament could have been. Imagine the potential of returning characters it could have provided!

Honestly they could even have had a more massive tournament like that the place of Decolour while waiting for X and Y to start easily enough.

Honestly they could even have had a more massive tournament like that the place of Decolour while waiting for X and Y to start easily enough.
I actually never thought of that! You're right! An interregional tournament would've definitely been better than the Orange Islands ripoff attempt we got. Imagine a Kalos Trainer participating the tournament, or Alexa covering it for a story. That could have a been a great tie-in to XY.

...I do have to wonder how much the earthquake screwed them over....though I'd at least argue the junior cup thing was their somewhat PWT replacement.
I'm pretty much sure it screwed the chances of the original Plasma-dan to have any sort of arc. Because as we know they were intented to debut in those skipped episodes, but then what? It's been stated already that an episode takes six months to be produced, so by the time Rocked-dan vs. Plasma-dan got delayed, OLM was most likely working on the first Don George tournament. They've never brought to the public what else was cut or modified\edited besides those two episodes and that fishing one (which was supposed to take place in Hiun City straight after the gym battle), though there're scans that show Trio still wearing their black uniform in the Arty's battle episode, so maybe the animators made changes we don't know?

Well, Plasma-dan'd return for B2W2 with a brand new outfit, so how'd the anime work that out? Making them change clothes for some reason? Completely ignored this new Plasma? Or the two-parter'd be their only appearence?

I actually never thought of that! You're right! An interregional tournament would've definitely been better than the Orange Islands ripoff attempt we got. Imagine a Kalos Trainer participating the tournament, or Alexa covering it for a story. That could have a been a great tie-in to XY.
That's another thing about the Decalore Islands. They just felt like the writers were spinning their wheels and not even with fun filler shenanigans.

Plumeria deserved a better debut where she would've gotten time to shine on her own. Over a year ago, Tupper mentioned how his male Salandit will evolve any day now, and I thought that could've lead to a fun episode where Plumeria is introduced and Salazzle's evolution thing is dealt with (ending with a devastated Tupper). Plumeria could've battled Satoshi too.

Misty's Psyduck should have evolved in Bye Bye Psyduck, but instead, the episode gave up the opportunity to give Misty and Psyduck some much-needed character development in favor of continuing their toxic relationship for the sake of the Psyduck gag. I've also wondered: why did Psyduck's tail glow anyway, if it wasn't about to evolve?

The point was to create suspense.

I am glad they didn't evolve Psyduck. He was a gag pokemon that was fairly entertaining. You need characters like that on a show like pokemon or things would get dull real quick. Togepi was the one that needed to evolve earlier. He was more tied to Misty's character development then Psyduck.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom