• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Nebby wasn't Ash's, he was merely being cared for by Ash given its baby nature.

UBs maybe considered legendaries in the game but that doesn't make them true legendaries. Hell, Poipole are quite common in the Ultra Space and even considered a starter in the Ultra Megalopolis.

So no, Ash doesn't have legendaries.

So aren't you being awfully pedantic by saying that he didn't have two legendaries handed to him?

Mythicals are a separate category, but let's not argue about that. STA mentioned Melmetal before bringing up Nebby and Poipole.
Yeah, but the category's pretty comparable to legendary, and arguably a "higher" category than a legendary, too.

The spirit of the "Ash got Legendaries" opinion is pretty clear to me and I kinda find the use of "he technically didn’t get one" a bit too needlessly pedantic. I guess to end the pedantics "He got too many special Pokémon"?
I wouldn’t really count Nebby among them since Ash never captured or meaningfully used it.It was just glorified legendary babysitting.

Poipole also contributed somewhat to the Necrozma plot with the Poipole dimension and it was nice to see it return all grown up and finally getting to create light of its own like Pikachu- too bad it ended up being a glorified plot device. Meltan is the worst offender for me. I don’t think it should’ve been caught or evolved...

Ash alone wasn’t the sole focus of the issue: it was the fact that mythical and special Pokémon of all kinds were dumped on the main cast in a short span of time and most of them did absolutely nothing: Meltan, Magearna, Shaymin, Celebi (It was negligible but still counts a little). Being grouped with Eevee it was painfully obvious that Shaymin was just there to look cute.

Some people have said that because they're categorized as "special Pokémon" (or whatever the term is) along with Legendaries and Mythicals in the game coding.
UBs are classified as “minor legendaries” along with stuff like the bird and beast trios. The Box legends and Mythicals are a different category.

Yeah, but the category's pretty comparable to legendary, and arguably a "higher" category than a legendary, too.

The spirit of the "Ash got Legendaries" opinion is pretty clear to me and I kinda find the use of "he technically didn’t get one" a bit too needlessly pedantic. I guess to end the pedantics "He got too many special Pokémon"?
I wouldn’t really count Nebby among them since Ash never captured or meaningfully used it.It was just glorified legendary babysitting.

Poipole also contributed somewhat to the Necrozma plot with the Poipole dimension and it was nice to see it return all grown up and finally getting to create light of its own like Pikachu- too bad it ended up being a glorified plot device. Meltan is the worst offender for me. I don’t think it should’ve been caught or evolved...

Ash alone wasn’t the sole focus of the issue: it was the fact that mythical and special Pokémon of all kinds were dumped on the main cast in a short span of time and most of them did absolutely nothing: Meltan, Magearna, Shaymin, Celebi (It was negligible but still counts a little). Being grouped with Eevee it was painfully obvious that Shaymin was just there to look cute.

I kind of didn't really mind Magearna since at least it served a purpose beyond being cute and it didn't start moving until the end of the series. I wouldn't count Celebi since it was just used to send Ash back in time to meet a younger Professor Kukui and get that Z-Crystal for Torracat. No one even realized that Celebi was there until Rotom Dex took that picture. Shaymin was definitely thrown in just to give Mallow something small and cute to hold. Eevee and Meltan were used for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion, but they didn't really end up doing much. Meltan got more of a chance to shine than Eevee did, but it never felt like Ash had a strong bond with it. The only reason he caught it was because it became friends with Rowlet. It got a couple of battles, but it ultimately felt like a last minute decision to add it onto Ash's team. I think that Shaymin is the worse offender, if only because it did virtually nothing for so long, but Meltan is more frustrating for me. It isn't the worst member of Ash's SM team. That honor goes to Rowlet, but I do think that they should have either given Ash more time to bond with Meltan after he caught it or just give him something else. There was barely any Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion in SM as it is, so I don't think it would have hurt to not have Meltan featured in the cast.

Some people have said that because they're categorized as "special Pokémon" (or whatever the term is) along with Legendaries and Mythicals in the game coding.

I just figured that Ultra Beasts were in their own category, but I also still see Legendary and Mystical Pokemon as basically the same thing anyway.

I'm more or less content with how Meltan/Melmetal was handled. Most of the problems it had could have been the same for any late capture under Ash, mythical or not.

I think mythicals are just event-exclusive legendaries. The distinction is important for the games but I don't think it matters are far as the anime is concerned. Many mythicals have been referred to as legendaries in the past, so I think it's more of a subset than a separate category. Since SM didn't have anything like a legendary trio and the ultra beasts basically fill that role I think it's safe to consider them in the same catagory of "minor legendary".

Solgaleo, Lunala and Necrozma started crying in a corner.

But honestly, I think it depends on the context. Legendaries are rare... even singular and often serve a purpose in the world or are worshipped as deities. Humans all over would be aware of their existence. Example, the weather trio. Mythicals on the other hand, may or may not have a vital purpose in life but they are classified as such because they're quite rare to the point that only a small percentage of the human population know of them, much less come into contact with one. Example, Mew.

Arceus is classified as a mythical because it's rarely appeared, but it can also technically be classified as a legendary.
Oh sorry, I was referring to "trio" as in the Kanto birds or the Jhoto beasts. But on second thought I forgot that the guardian deities basically fill that role in SM.

I'm more or less content with how Meltan/Melmetal was handled. Most of the problems it had could have been the same for any late capture under Ash, mythical or not.

I think that's a fair point. It took Ash ages to get a fifth Pokemon on his team, so it would have had some kind of problems regardless. If Ash just had a bit more time to bond with it, then I might have been okay with Meltan. It just felt too tacked on for my tastes and really lacked a significant moment or connection with Ash compared to the rest of his team.

Well I can't remember exactly but wasn't Ash the one that performed Solgaleo's Z-Move? Well in any case, my initial comment was left intentionally broad. I said handed not captured. :)

Well, it has been established that performing a Z-Move with a Pokemon you don’t own isn’t that unusual of an occurrence. Kukui used a Z-Move with one of Ash's officially captured Pokémon without having a particular bond or special interaction.

It still made sense in how it happened. And the lack of training showed in the subsequent battle with Gladion.
“Made sense” =/= feeling good, well-earned or needed.

There was no special thing which prompted Meltan to send signals to its fellow Meltan. The writers just felt it was convenient in the middle of the league.

Ash’s capture and evolution of Meltan will always feel unneeded and meh to me.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom