• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

The anime really wasted a good filler opportunity when Ash's transformation into Pikachu at the end of Hocus Pokémon was undone within the first 30 seconds of the next episode. He spent less than five minutes total as a Pikachu, when I think they could have easily made a full episode about him being one before he changed back. It seems really weird to me that they didn't really do anything with this transformation.

The anime really wasted a good filler opportunity when Ash's transformation into Pikachu at the end of Hocus Pokémon was undone within the first 30 seconds of the next episode. He spent less than five minutes total as a Pikachu, when I think they could have easily made a full episode about him being one before he changed back. It seems really weird to me that they didn't really do anything with this transformation.
I agree.
Why not show Ash learn to understend his pokemons and also learn some attacks before he turn back to normal.

This kind of annoyed me as well. Would have been fun to see Ash having to deal being a Pikachu, maybe even have a role reversal where Team Rocket capture Ash himself (due to mistaking it for Ash's own Pikachu) and his Pikachu would have to save him instead.

That was exactly the problem with how she got her z-ring. It just feels tacked on. Sophocles at least was kind of like a recurring thing.

I hated that all the SuMo kids got Z-Rings tbh because it felt forced as hell and only Ash, Kiawe and maybe Lana were even good enough battlers to use Z-Moves.

The Advanced Generation episode True Blue Swablu was setting up to be a classic capture episode. May met an injured Swablu and helped to take care of it. When Swablu was having trouble of believing in its abilities to fly, May helped it to regain its confidence. It even helped in fighting off Team Rocket when they tried to steal it. And then, when the last act of the episode rolled around, it turned out that Swablu's flock had already left. With all the bonding they had done throughout the episode, it was no surprise that May then offered Swablu a place in her team, which it seemed happy about. It was all wrapping up so nicely... until Swablu's flock suddenly returns out of nowhere, and May decides to let it go with them, because that's more important for it.

What could've been a happy capture episode with a new team addition was turned into a not-so-happy pseudo-release episode with a good-bye to a Pokémon that was oh-so-close to joining the main cast. Even on an emotional level, a lot of set-up was done for a capture here, a promising friendship was forming between May and Swablu... only for all of that to be completely thrown out the window the moment the flock returned.

Why couldn't May have gotten Swablu? Its capture would have made a lot of sense, it would have been such a nice and fitting Pokémon for her, and it could have provided some great Contest performances.

The Advanced Generation episode True Blue Swablu was setting up to be a classic capture episode. May met an injured Swablu and helped to take care of it. When Swablu was having trouble of believing in its abilities to fly, May helped it to regain its confidence. It even helped in fighting off Team Rocket when they tried to steal it. And then, when the last act of the episode rolled around, it turned out that Swablu's flock had already left. With all the bonding they had done throughout the episode, it was no surprise that May then offered Swablu a place in her team, which it seemed happy about. It was all wrapping up so nicely... until Swablu's flock suddenly returns out of nowhere, and May decides to let it go with them, because that's more important for it.

What could've been a happy capture episode with a new team addition was turned into a not-so-happy pseudo-release episode with a good-bye to a Pokémon that was oh-so-close to joining the main cast. Even on an emotional level, a lot of set-up was done for a capture here, a promising friendship was forming between May and Swablu... only for all of that to be completely thrown out the window the moment the flock returned.

Why couldn't May have gotten Swablu? Its capture would have made a lot of sense, it would have been such a nice and fitting Pokémon for her, and it could have provided some great Contest performances.
Or do what they did with Ash's lapras and relase it later when if they find Swablu's flock.

Or do what they did with Ash's lapras and relase it later when if they find Swablu's flock.
That possibility surfaced in my head too. To paraphrase Alfred Lord Tennyson, "It is better to have had a friend and lost them, than never to have had a friend at all."

And to make matters even worse, the writers then decided it was a good idea to basically repeat that episode with The Lonely Deino! right down to the ending in which right as the girl offers for the Pokémon to come with them, the one it had been with returns for it. Why would they think that plot point needed to be done not once but twice?

Younger me really thought Ash was going to capture the Houndour in Hour of the Houndour.

I distinctly remember thinking that he was going to capture it when I first saw the episode as well. The general setup of gaining the trust and respect of a wild Pokemon just made me think that they were building up to a capture. Plus, I'm sure that I just wanted Ash to get a Houndour since I like it so much. I think he already had Cyndaquil by that point though, so I can see in retrospect why that didn't happen.

I distinctly remember thinking that he was going to capture it when I first saw the episode as well. The general setup of gaining the trust and respect of a wild Pokemon just made me think that they were building up to a capture. Plus, I'm sure that I just wanted Ash to get a Houndour since I like it so much. I think he already had Cyndaquil by that point though, so I can see in retrospect why that didn't happen.
Yeah, at that time I didn’t really care for type overlap so I was hopeful for capture, and quite disappointed it didn’t happen. My best guess is that they were reluctant to have a Dark type with bone motifs on the main cast at the time. But even that logic was thrown out of the window when they showed a kind Houndoom with Togepi.

Been playing through Ultra Sun and realized that it’s such a missed opportunity that they never adapted the Seven Mysteries sub event into the series. Not only would it have been perfect since the Pokémon School was basically the hub of the anime but a huge missed opportunity given the common trope in SoL series with a school setting where the characters investigate mysteries of the school that students talk about.

Raikou deserved more than what it got in the anime. Suicune was a recurring Pokémon in the main series and got its own movie, Entei got a highly popular movie and an anime episode, and Raikou got... one brief main series cameo and a obscure TV special. That's really unfair, especially since Raikou is my favorite of the Legendary beasts.

Raikou deserved more than what it got in the anime. Suicune was a recurring Pokémon in the main series and got its own movie, Entei got a highly popular movie and an anime episode, and Raikou got... one brief main series cameo and a obscure TV special. That's really unfair, especially since Raikou is my favorite of the Legendary beasts.
It appeared in that Zoroark movie alongside the other two beasts.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom