• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Ash bringing down Team Rocket and becoming a Kanto Champion, then getting replaced by new kid with his Pikachu (Pichu) in the next region and so on.
I would have preferred the new kid to not have a Pikachu, but that's more due to personal bias. Other than that, continuing with a new character instead of forced resets would have been good. Maaaybee keep Ash during Johto, since I agree with some of the criticisms during OS, but after that, Brendan or whoever else they would have wanted.

Ash bringing down Team Rocket and becoming a Kanto Champion, then getting replaced by new kid with his Pikachu (Pichu) in the next region and so on.
Oh. I see. I was not sure what you were talking about. Thanks. Also, why not have each Protagonist start with a Regional Starter?

I would have preferred the new kid to not have a Pikachu, but that's more due to personal bias. Other than that, continuing with a new character instead of forced resets would have been good. Maaaybee keep Ash during Johto, since I agree with some of the criticisms during OS, but after that, Brendan or whoever else they would have wanted.

I do agree with you. At this point, Ash should have been replaced after Kanto.

I would have preferred the new kid to not have a Pikachu
Also, why not have each Protagonist start with a Regional Starter
I was trying to be realistic :) I could imagine a series without Ash (if OS was written differently) as a main character but I can't imagine a series without Pikachu as a main character.

Having the anime go the Adventures/Special route where they replace the main lead with each series could have worked, but I'm not too surprised that they didn't go that route. They didn't adapt much of the Team Rocket storyline in the original games in the anime, so they were more limited on what they could adapt from G/S/C as a result. A Pokemon main series anime without Ash could have worked if they had started the process by the third generation at the latest, but now, it is just far too late. Ash and Pikachu are just too iconic and recognizable than any new character could ever hope to be.

I guess this explains why they decided to give Jimmy Ethan Gold a Pichu in the manga.

To be fair, I think that Gold got Pichu fairly late in the G/S/C arc and as far as I know, none of the other main leads in the following Adventures arcs have gotten a Pichu or Pikachu.

They all got fast balls but only Brock used his.
Wow I didn't remember that. But really I always thought that the Fast Balls were pointless in the show because very few Pokemon are fast enough to dodge capture any way. When Brock caught Pineco in a Fast Ball I remember thinking it made no sense.
In Generation II, Fast Balls worked better on Pokémon that could flee, and Pineco was running away, so that's why Brock used his Fast Ball on it.
Watch Ash use that Fast Ball on a Pokemon this series. Gou's just going to go "Where did you even get that?" "It was at the bottom of my bag for 19 years or so."
I've been hoping for that too. And do you know what's kinda interesting: while Ash's Fast Ball hasn't been mentioned since its debut, it appears during the ending group shot of the Master Quest opening.

The thread about anime's dependence of Ash makes me think the biggest missed opportunity (for me at least) was not adapting the major aspects of the games properly and proving wrong those who say anime couldn't work without Ash as a main character.

I agree with wanting less dependence on Ash but not this way. Personally, I think a shift in focus from Ash to a new trainer would be a lot more interesting. I think they were on to something in Diamond and Pearl when they gave Dawn a bigger role than the companions from before and though I didn't watch BW, it seemed like it regressed back to having an inordinate amount of focus on Ash once again.

XY on the other hand was set up pretty nicely in Ash being posited as a more senior trainer who helped Citron and Serena grow. However, since neither of them wanted to be a conventional trainer, the way Ash is, the anime couldn't quite transcend past its usual formula and downplay its dependence on Ash. When it came to SM however, I think it was a huge missed opportunity in how they still continued its dependence on Ash, making him out to be an almost mythical trainer that attracted special pokemon the same way a Magnezone would with steel, especially since there were so many other lead characters. The anime became more and more about him. In that sense, I think watching Lillie grow into a proper trainer with a full team would have been really satisfying but Ash barely even has a full team himself. Don't get me wrong, I really liked SM as a whole but I think watching it in relation to the anime arm of the franchise as a whole was abit underwhelming.

That said, it seems like that's the direction Pokemon 2019 is going with though I haven't started watching it yet so maybe things are changing for the better.

English dub wise... how, just how have they not gotten the likes of Kevin T. Collins (if you're wondering who he's known for he's THE Griffith from Berserk) or Jon Avner (Void from Berserk) on the show yet? They're like, some of the best voice actors in the NY industry especially Kevin.

Not to mention I think Jon would have made a better Ghetsis than Bill Rogers who I think sounded too forced and cartoony for my liking but that's more on the voice direction if anything else.

Last edited:
While I don't know how much better it would've been than what we got, I just can't help but wonder what Arceus would've sounded like in movie 12 if the originally intended voice actor had been able to perform the role. But apparently some trouble with his agent prevented that from happening, if I remember correctly.

Something I remember coming up at the time, but it's too bad they didn't introduce Return in DP; having Infernape use it in the final battle with Paul could have been a way of working the game mechanics into the arc around showing that Ash's methods can produce results.

I would've loved something like that! Too bad there isn't a Fire-Typed version of Return as it would've been boosted by Blaze.

Making Goh an explorer or a journalist that wants to unveil the "Mew mystery" instead of just a catcher.

Or a video blog star for all I care, anything that prevents anotther catching spree.

Isn't Pokemon Go main point not to only catch Pokemon but to explore places?

While I don't know how much better it would've been than what we got, I just can't help but wonder what Arceus would've sounded like in movie 12 if the originally intended voice actor had been able to perform the role. But apparently some trouble with his agent prevented that from happening, if I remember correctly.
I'm pretty sure working for TPCI counts as Cruel and Unusual Punishment, if their treatment of their cast when it comes to actually directing them is any indication

Plus, that'd cost money, which they're far too cheap to do

Making Goh an explorer or a journalist that wants to unveil the "Mew mystery" instead of just a catcher.

Or a video blog star for all I care, anything that prevents anotther catching spree.

Hell, they could have given him a dream of being a Pokémon Researcher spurred by his encounter with Mew, hence why he wants to capture all the Pokémon, to be able to study and gain a better understanding of them. Not only would it give more depth to his goal but would also tie in well to the position of Professor Sakuragi’s research assistant and be fitting given the analytical side they’ve shown with Gou.

I don't know how the fandom received DP130 but to me it's definitely one of the worst episodes I've seen lately. Why did they decided to do a very generic Ampharos filler when they could have actually used Looker for a fun "Mystery on the train" episode?

So basically Kidd Summers from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew?

I don't know how the fandom received DP130 but to me it's definitely one of the worst episodes I've seen lately. Why did they decided to do a very generic Ampharos filler when they could have actually used Looker for a fun "Mystery on the train" episode?
Also I love how the animation gets worse and more off-model as the episode goes on.

Considering the museum that houses Kabutops and Aerodactyl fossils is located in Pewter city, I found it a missed opportunity that Brock didn't become involved in with fossil research instead of a Pokémon Doctor which (imo) always felt kinda random. We could've seen him battle with some cool Fossil Pokémon too! :sneaky:

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom