• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

Pokémon Doctor which (imo) always felt kinda random
He literally spent 4 series treating Pokémon wounds and generally taking care of them... it’d be more weird if he suddenly went to researching fossil Pokémon suddenly since it has no buildup, but the Pokémon Doctor thing is a gradual extension of his interest. He wasn’t even that interested in Rock Pokémon, to the point say, Misty or Iris were interested in their respective types. Just my 2 cents.

Considering the museum that houses Kabutops and Aerodactyl fossils is located in Pewter city, I found it a missed opportunity that Brock didn't become involved in with fossil research instead of a Pokémon Doctor which (imo) always felt kinda random. We could've seen him battle with some cool Fossil Pokémon too! :sneaky:
why was ariodactyal a mystery then??

it’d be more weird if he suddenly went to researching fossil Pokémon suddenly since it has no buildup.
Obviously I didn't just mean randomly insert it when he comes back after departing, but as a gradual development for his character from the start that *I* would have found interesting since it incorporates something material from Brock's hometown. Sure Brock looks after the health and wellbeing of both the crew and their Pokémon, but to me that's always stemmed from being the oldest in the group and therefore having to be responsible - whether being the oldest son in the family or being the oldest in Ash's party.

He wasn’t even that interested in Rock Pokémon, to the point say, Misty or Iris were interested in their respective types.
I've made no secret of the fact that I never cared for Gym Leader party members getting Pokémon outside of their Type specialty. To me that's what (would have) made Ash stand out as a protagonist in comparison to his allies.

Anyways, that was just something I thought could've been interesting to see. :unsure:

He literally spent 4 series treating Pokémon wounds and generally taking care of them... it’d be more weird if he suddenly went to researching fossil Pokémon suddenly since it has no buildup, but the Pokémon Doctor thing is a gradual extension of his interest. He wasn’t even that interested in Rock Pokémon, to the point say, Misty or Iris were interested in their respective types. Just my 2 cents.
His Pokémon Breeder goal was also very random (and extremely boring) tbh. They should've just make him explorer or sth if they didn't want to give him Fossil Pokémon from the start.
And now they gave him even more boring goal turning him into male Nurse Joy for reasons.

His Pokémon Breeder goal was also very random (and extremely boring) tbh. They should've just make him explorer or sth if they didn't want to give him Fossil Pokémon from the start.
And now they gave him even more boring goal turning him into male Nurse Joy for reasons.

The reason was because he would be better able to care and heal Pokemon by becoming a Pokemon Doctor. It wasn't like that was the first time they established that profession either. Being an explorer would have most likely resulted in another vague goal like being the Top Breeder was. Being a Pokemon Doctor isn't an exciting goal admittedly, but it is something more concrete than breeding and it made the most sense with what Brock had been doing in both AG and DP.

I can only imagine how awkward it must've felt for the anime staff when actual Pokémon Breeders showed up in Generation III, and their line or profession was more than just caring for Pokémon...

If they named the profession 'breeder', they already knew what it means since it exist irl.

It is just mind boggling to me that SM had Giovanni aware of Necrozma and made Nanu his old friend, but never expanded upon these two points. Team Rocket attempted to get Necrozma, but that didn't really lead to the Team Rocket organization becoming a bigger threat. I wasn't expecting something like Team Rainbow Rocket. I think that would have been too difficult to pull off within the anime compared to the games, but I thought that they'd become more of an active threat. You'd think that they'd do something with the history between Giovanni and Nanu at least since that was kind of huge.

It is just mind boggling to me that SM had Giovanni aware of Necrozma and made Nanu his old friend, but never expanded upon these two points. Team Rocket attempted to get Necrozma, but that didn't really lead to the Team Rocket organization becoming a bigger threat. I wasn't expecting something like Team Rainbow Rocket. I think that would have been too difficult to pull off within the anime compared to the games, but I thought that they'd become more of an active threat. You'd think that they'd do something with the history between Giovanni and Nanu at least since that was kind of huge.
The least they could’ve done is have Giovanni come to Galar. The entire thing being reduced to Matori matrix was underwhelming. I don’t see the, adapting Team Rainbow Rocket 1:1 since I didn’t think at the time they’d play with every leader from a parallel world (they did do this with Dia but I considered that they’d rather not complicate things further). The way I thought things might go is Team Rocket making a separation division named Rainbow Rocket which would aim to expand operations.

Last edited:
The least they could’ve done is have Giovanni come to Galar. The entire thing being reduced to Matori matrix was underwhelming. I don’t see the, adapting Team Rainbow Rocket 1:1 since I didn’t think at the time they’d play with every leader from a parallel world (they did do this with Dia but I considered that they’d rather not complicate things further). The way I thought things might go is Team Rocket making a separation division named Rainbow Rocket which would aim to expand operations.
While they couldn’t pull off Team Rainbow Rocket 1:1, they did have 2 possibilities if they wanted to make it bigger. Either they could have established AUs earlier than they did with Guzzlord and had Giovanni gather the leaders that way or had him gather the stranglers of the other organizations from the previous regions. Sadly, neither would happen in the Pokémon anime.

Hell, they could have given him a dream of being a Pokémon Researcher spurred by his encounter with Mew, hence why he wants to capture all the Pokémon, to be able to study and gain a better understanding of them. Not only would it give more depth to his goal but would also tie in well to the position of Professor Sakuragi’s research assistant and be fitting given the analytical side they’ve shown with Gou.

Did we watch the same show? Isn't that why he's a pokemon research fellow? Okay it's not explicitly stated but I think it can be implied from how in the first ep he saw Mew as a kid and in the second ep when he declared that his starter Pokemon was going to be Mew, especially since it seemed like he was always going to be a Research Fellow since he already knew the Professor.

Last edited:
Did we watch the same show? Isn't that why he's a pokemon research fellow? Okay it's not explicitly stated but I think it can be implied from how in the first ep he saw Mew as a kid and in the second ep when he declared that his starter Pokemon was going to be Mew, especially since it seemed like he was always going to be a Research Fellow since he already knew the Professor.
He started his mass capture spree because he discovered a log/checklist feature on his phone. The connection of that to Mew is dumb and unrelated in every logical way.

Hell, everytime he's not been on a capture spree is when he's actually been like a proper researcher and learning about Pokemon actively (PJ010 and PJ022 being perfect examples).

I have to agree with @Panky.. here. There is no relation between catching a lot of Pokemon and Mew. It would make more sense if he was a professor or a biologist.

If this series was all about the mysteries of the pokemon world instead of the catching them it would be better. Case and point episode 10 was a good way to discover how the Dratini species live in wild state cause it was such a mysterious species. Episode 6 was horrible cause it showed Pokemon being only as collectibles. Something that contrasts with the whole point of the anime, I know that Red catched 150 Pokemon but he did it cause Oak asked for research and you cannot deny a senile old man his wishes.

I really hope we ditch the whole catching all Pokemon thing arround episode 50. Then we can move on onto more interesting things like legendaries, and the PWT.

Damn it. I miss this series... It's true what they say: You don't appreciate something untill you lost it.

Well I'm still at Episode 5 so the catching spree hasn't started yet ahaha. As for the rest of your comment, this anime is sadly meant to promote GO whose main premise is the catching of Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom