• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokéathlon discussion thread

Regiruler

Miss me?
Reaction score
This is the thread to discuss anything Pokeathlon-related, including aprijuice, tips, and the events themselves. I apologize if this thread was already created.

One of the things I like about it is how it makes getting rare candies so much easier. Also, I find myself doing well at the jump and power courses, and not so much at the speed course.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how you're playing Goal Roll then because that is the reason I fail at the power courses. If the entire thing was the one where you break the blocks, I'd win every time. Speed and stamina are easy for me though so I can't say I've been doing awful over all.

Goal Roll is tough. I have an issue multi-tasking my team. But I usually win because I have a great pokeathlon team... sorta.

I need a draco plate to make my arceus better.

Goal Roll is tough. I have an issue multi-tasking my team. But I usually win because I have a great pokeathlon team... sorta.

I need a draco plate to make my arceus better.

Smash Goal makes me want to hurt things. >I Everything else is pretty easy for me though. Smash Goal is just like "AURGHDKLSHFKGH" worst thing is I still have to go get the trophy/crown for it and the best I've managed was 8 points and that was ONE time. OTL

If you guys need tips, I have them. xD

I didn't think it was too bad, but I don't really enjoy it much. Getting 1st in all five courses was a fine goal. Getting 1st with one species of pokemon in all five courses was fine, too, though I was kinda cheated since my Ampharos had all five but they were split between evolutions and didn't count, so I wound up finishing it with my starter Ty. But then the next room wants me to spend two days grinding pokeathlon? No thanks.

Jump was my worst one until recently. Ho-oh is kinda cool at air support.

Ah, the Pokeathlon. I find it to be very fun. And yes, I really like the whole Rare Candy thing.

I'd say my favorite event is Break Block (or whatever it's called in English).

I have found that I am awesome in that relay run. We go speeding by the other guys and have about 13+ laps at the end compared to their 9. :]

I'm not as big a fan of the ones where you need to control all three Pokemon at one time (hurdle, snowball, disc, etc) because it's hard concentrating on all three at one time.

But I definitely love this better than the contests. I like how, in fact, all of HG/SS seems to be based more on skill instead of on luck. The contests even felt a little too much like luck, and I didn't like raising a pokemon to be a contest pokemon.

My Quilava is speedy demon. :]

My most outstanding records are 14.x laps in Relay Run, 106 broken bricks and 10 points in Goal Roll. On the other ones, I suck or at much I'm so-so. I haven't beaten the disc catching (or whatever it is called) record yet. And my only medal Pokémon is my dear Scizor.

I figure that as long as I do good at Break and Circle Push, whatever cruddy score I get on Goal doesn't matter. :D

Break: I tap real fast, then switch just as soon as the next stack is being made.

Circle Push: I quickly move my critters into the center of the highest scoring circle(s). If they get there first, all the other critters crowding in probably won't be able to push them out real fast. If the circle is tiny and in a corner, and you can get your critter into the corner, no one can push it out.

Goal: Just do the best you can. lol. (I try to leave two critters at the goal as goalies to block the ball, but often I accidentally drag one away, and that's when it gets frustrating)

Hurdles: I realized that pokemon with high jump will need to be tapped while the upcoming hurdle is at least a screen-length away, in order for your critter to come down soon enough so that they don't smash into the next one.

Discus Catch: FUN! Especially if your pokemon has high jump. Knock the other critters away, then leap as the discus is about to cross you.

Lamp Bounce whatever: I often have problems with my pokemon running into each other and knocking themselves out.

I have yet to fool around with any of the other events.

Actually, for Hurdles you want to tap just as the critter (good word choice) is about to trip. With birds, they stay up long enough that you can ignore them and take care of your fat kid (like Typhlosion) while the feathers float over the next set.

For Goal, I usually start with two goalies, but as soon as they are actively defending I'll move one of them out a bit to keep balls out of my area. At best it can set up or earn a point, and at worst it makes the bots scramble around the other corner and let my fat kid (like Typhlosion) dominate the center and rack up huge points.

I think the Pokeathlon is great. As I said in another thread, it kind of reminds me of the mini-games in the original Pokemon Stadium game.

The event that I really suck at is the "Goal" one.

snow throw and lamp jump are my least favorites.

what, those are so easy. :p

Shooting Snow: Just keep drawing lines from your pokémon to the top left of the screen. The pokémon in that team are the easiest to hit for whatever reason.

Bound Field: high jump + diagonal pulls and you can fly all over the field.

I love lamp jump. Next to hurdle dash lamp jump is my favorite.
I also like disc catch, relay run, circle push and block break.

Then again those are the ones I like because they're the ones I always come in 1st.

I don't like the snowball, the pennant flag (can't get more than like 20 flags), and the soccer one because those are the ones I usually come in third or fourth place in, and it usually throws me off in the end.

what, those are so easy. :p

Shooting Snow: Just keep drawing lines from your pokémon to the top left of the screen. The pokémon in that team are the easiest to hit for whatever reason.

I found it easier to shoot at the right. My least favorite should be Disc Jump or Circle Push

Lanp Bounce is my favorite, hands down. It's like a combination between pachinko and an unpredictable trampoline! Brick Break (or whatever it's called) is quite fun as well. On discus catch I usually am at least 20 points ahead of the person in 2nd.

To the person at GF who made it so easy to get rare candies, THANK YOU!

Well, I haven't got there yet, its after Whitney?

Yep. And it's awesome.

The thing that really sets these games apart from contests is the prizes. I mean, yeah there's the level of interaction and stuff, but the prizes, the reason for competing, makes these games so awesome. I mean, if I'm guaranteed a metal coat at the beginning of the game, right next to where I can get a scyther, then it gives more purpose to the games than contests ever did.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom