• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Pokeball vs. Masterball

MuddyMudkip

silence and sound
Reaction score
Just thought I'd make a battle between two completely different Pokeballs.

So, which do you think is better?

The classic, common, red-and-white orb? Or the catch-every-single Pokemon Master ball?

Personally, I just love the classics, however useful the Masterball is. Though, my favorite ball is probably the Lure or Safari ball.

Besides, I used Pokeballs many times in capturing Legendaries! XD

So, what about you?

Masterballs are great for those times where you really need them [selfdestructing shinies, things that flee, roaming legendaries that you're sick of chasing], but the one-per-game tradition [besides winning them at the lottery] can make choosing when to use it tough.

Oh and the Masterball is purple. Purple! The best color. =)

Master Ball. The most basic Ball against the best Ball? Not quite a contest. The Poké Ball is iconic, and I'll say those two pink circles on the Master Ball have been always awkward. But other than that, Master Ball is epic.

I'm all for the classics, and frankly, my Masterballs always cause me so much overthinking and stress over what to use them for I sometimes don't even want them. There's something totally badass and yet, at the same time, cop-out about a ball with a 100% catch rate. I almost always feel like I've wasted mine.

Still, design wise, Masterball wins, but not more than the Heal Ball, my personal cute favourite. >___>

Actually, IceKyurem and Fuuro, the Master Mall doesn't have a 100% catch rate. It can fail even if the chance of that happening is extreamly slim.

My vote goes to the Master Ball though

The Master Ball top always looked like a pair of upside underpants to me. That said, I pick it over the Poké Ball. Extremely high capture rate, and you could abuse cloning glitches in the earlier games to make multiple copies of them. Plus, it's purple, how neat is that?

The Master Ball has a 100% Catch rate . Nuff said .

Coke Jomparison , Poke Ball vs Master Ball

I'm not crazy about the Masterball's design, but the catch rate makes up for it.

Poke Ball :-D I don't like to use a Master Ball because it takes all of the fun away!

Indeed! While the Masterball is useful for some of those damned roaming legendaries, it takes some fun out of the game if used past that IMO. I can't remember the last time I used it.

Besides, I like the neat, simple design of the Pokéball. And the sparkles are way better. :-D

So Pokéball it is.

While Master Ball is incredibly useful in capturing Pokémon, it is really difficult to come by. Although Poké Balls are cheap, they are also woefully unreliable, especially for an impatient person. I prefer other specialty Balls, such as Quick Balls, Dusk Balls and others. I guess I'll be going with "Neither". After all, it isn't just legendaries.

Actually, IceKyurem and Fuuro, the Master Mall doesn't have a 100% catch rate. It can fail even if the chance of that happening is extreamly slim.

No, it cannot.

RBY If the Master Ball is used, the Pokémon is caught.
GSC Master Ball - X is set to 255, thus making the capture succeed automatically
RSE/DPPt Master Ball - no formula is used, capture succeeds automatically

1 False. The Master Ball bypasses the formula entirely, so even if the catch rate were 0, the it would still catch the Pokémon. / Socob, I know because it's what UPC says and it's what the reference in the article says. Also because I have read the relevant code in both Diamond and HeartGold, and I can tell you that the Master Ball is simply not implemented in the way you suggest.
2 (just read the thing)

I prefer the Master Ball, because it has a better design and never fails to capture a Pokémon.

You would think that any trainer carrying a Master Ball on their belt would be at a huge risk for getting it stolen constantly - I mean, I would steal one

masterball for sure 100% cature rate who wouldnt be happy with that

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom